Thoughts on first time server build list?

Hey all, I’m building a home server for the first time and I figured I would get some feedback on my potential build.

• Intel xeon E5-2448L x2
  • Supermicro dual socket MBD-X9DBL-i -O
  • 64GB ECC RDIMM DDR3 1333
  • Supermicro SNK-P0038P heatsinks x2
  • Unraid Plus

Right now I’m just over my budget at $408 so I’m trying not to go any higher.

Naturally since i’m using unraid i’m going to be using it for storage, but I’m also planning on hosting private game servers on it through VM. Ark, Atlas, Civ 5, Minecraft etc.

I know it’s a bit overkill right now, but my thought is to set it up like this now so I don’t have to spend more money later to replace parts.

Thoughts on the build list for my use case?

Looks good from what I can tell, the only open variables that I notice are the case and the powersupply.
I don’t know about the prices for the CPUs but if getting one makes a difference I would consider getting only one and putting the money into storage.

Don’t know your location, but consider a decommissioned datacenter server.

They’re dirt cheap on ebay for US and Asia, well, anywhere that has a lot of datacenters. a boutique cpu like the 2448L might not be an option, why did you choose that particular model?

A Gen8 Proliant should come with 2 E5 v2 or v3 cpu’s and and 64+ gb of ram for around $200-250, and comes with the case and power supplies, you just add hard drive and OS and you’re good to go.

Example (Sorry for the huge URL)

1 Like

i would stay away from E5-2400 series processors. Problem is they don’t use the same sockets as the 2600’s and you have a better upgrade path there. Also depends on what you have to spend. i got a dual E5-2640 v3 with 256GB ram and 12x4TB SAS drives in an HP DL380 G9 for $1200 well worth it with all that hardware

1 Like

I’m re purposing an old computer because I built a new one so the case and power supply will come from there. It’s a Cooler Master HAF 922 and i believe the psu is a corsair 750. Same with hard drives, I currently have 6 hard drives with about 10TB total storage.

I was thinking about doing that but I don’t want a rack mount server. I don’t have a good place to put a server rack. And anywhere I do put a rack is not going to be a good option because of having to do the wiring. Using an old proliant would be a good option, but it’s just not a good one for me right now.

Good point on the upgrade path, would I even need to upgrade for a long time? I’m only going to be using it for local storage as well as some game servers, and the game servers are more memory bound than cpu.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.