Thoughts on Canonical Becoming Public?

The plain and simple of it is that Canonical is becoming a public stock soon, at least thats my understanding. I’m not quite sure what that will mean for linux as a whole, but they are almost at the point that they could be an easy grab for a desktop OS and be comparable to OSX in features (snaps, desktop). The only other companies that are linux companies that I know of in public trade is like RedHat and Suse… How many others are there? Could we see some interest in retailers because of this?

I completely forgot about this until they mentioned it on coder radio just now.

Well the idea is that they would be selling and supporting cloud infrastructure,

Its the only thing they have of value and I kind of use the word value lightly.

I doubt this would impact linux directly, but it will probably impact linux indirectly in the same way that red hat operates.

Ubuntu will fix something for a client and then distribute that fix to anyone who wants it. That sort of thing.

My concern is that ubuntu will try and focus their efforts on too many buzzword products and make their underlying product worse than it already is.

In any case, I will probably buy the IPO simply because I think they will double down on cloud tech.

I dont think much will happen.

My main concern is that ubuntu tends to curve the linux desktop in a certain way and it would suck if someone like microsoft came in and started to mess about a bit with it

1 Like

inb4 Microsoft buys Canonical and everything becomes absolutely proprietary.

5 Likes

Nah. M$ is going more and more opensource.

They have no idea who their clients are anymore. They have probably the worst structured business model I have ever seen.

If they manage to fuck up linux, it is a desperate hail mary attempt.

Everyone in the industry is going apple for IT and either AWS or Oracle for cloud. Rumor is that Oracle is going to flesh out the rest of their cloud offerings and snuff out azure.

65 million revenue
Same CEO since 2010…they seem stable
The Mint donor list
https://linuxmint.com/donors.php
Mint headquarters approves!

Nah. M$ is going more and more opensource.
They have no idea who their clients are anymore. They have probably the worst structured business model I have ever seen.
If they manage to fuck up linux, it is a desperate hail mary attempt.
Everyone in the industry is going apple for IT and either AWS or Oracle for cloud. Rumor is that Oracle is going to flesh out the rest of their cloud offerings and snuff out azure.

Hm… I read something that reported AWS was losing traction as more were going to Azure.

Using Apple for the IT Dept? Bleh! Can’t imagine the nightmare that is. Parallels is complete garbage when it comes to driver support.

Anyway, I don’t think Microsoft is going anywhere, nor do I think they are going to tank Linux or buy out Canonical. They contributed to the kernel for a long time and have used “Linux guys” to make their newer operating systems.

1 Like

azure is more mature. They offer both cloud and local infrastructure and support.

For a lot of big clients, this is kind of a make or break deal. The problem is that MS has now tested the market and has shown that their more fleshed out cloud model is profitable, so now everyone else will be jumping in on this.

Azure is also kind of crappy, expensive, and their support sucks. I haven’t met anyone outside of MS that is excited about azure.

As soon as oracle fleshes out their offerings, people will probably go that route.

AWS is also supposedly trying to step up their game for large enterprise solutions, but their model kind of works really well because its cheap and dirt simple to deploy. Sooooo IDK if they will change or not TBH. They also do most of the cloud stuff for the federal government. So they really have a good thing going.

Google is a wild card. Who the hell knows.

There is also talk of Apple moving into the cloud and enterprise space as well. So that would be yet another competitor.

The big thing to think about though is azure is pretty much the last leg for MS.

Most windows clients are still on XP or windows 7 and those people are more likely to switch to apple than they are to go to windows 10. Delta just came out today and said they are going apple. And no, they aren’t using parallels, they are using straight OSX.

Gaming is a small percentage of profits. And all of MS’s special projects are really bearing any fruit. Soooooooooo yeah.

1 Like

Whilst this might apply to some companies making this a sweeping generalisation is very wide of the mark. Oracle don’t have a hope in hell of snuffing out Azure. They are way to late to the party - this statement

The big thing to think about though is azure is pretty much the last leg for MS.

Applies to Oracle as much as MS; if Oracle fails to win the business they are hoping to win for their cloud they will be a niche player within 10 years, and they know it. Whilst Oracle are working on some very cool things for their cloud, so is MS and AWS.

The business Oracle is most likely to win will be migrating all those large (often horrible) RAC, SAP and Teradata deployments that are getting left behind on-prem as the smaller stuff is migrated to AWS or Azure. Oracle will (eventually) have a very capable bare-metal service with screaming storage and networking that will work well for multi-TB databases. The future however is not one cloud - most large businesses will use 2 or 3 cloud providers.

I do not think it means much. Canonical was always a for-profit company. Now they will just focus on things the stockholders like and if you set up the whole thing correctly you can defend against buy-outs.

The only issue is that as opposed to Red-Hat and Suse, Ubuntu does not have that a great developer community that can operate outside company influence, trying innovative things that the stockholders do not care about. The distro might saturate in terms of features with this.

Didn´t we discuss this on a different thread?

1 Like

I almost solely support Macs and MacOS, and I’m not sure what you mean here… a lot of devs like Macs but they’re lousy IT machines.

What?, Source on that please, i have been in projects for 3 Fortune 500 Enterprise in the last 4 Years and everything stays Windows, From Production Lines (SCADA + Windows XP trying to upgrade) to Finance and Marketing using Win7/8, Im currently testing the last few steps to massive migrate from 7 to 10.

They mean like if you go to a public linux conference or to a college to where IT is going on its all macbooks, which is true.

That won’t be true in what you do though where everything is so baked in that replacing it is impossible.

1 Like

I mean, thats most likely personal Laptops, go to any meeting from any Fortune 500 and you will see Dells and HPs, just one or 2 Macs from like High Executives(For Personal Preference) but on the Industry its mostly Windows Machines and i dont see any of that changing any time soon

Nope. Dev laptops, work based, all of them. I’m surprised this is the first you have heard of this tbh.

1 Like

Maybe for devs, but the bulk of the machines are Windows Based

I mean you can say that, but I still go to IT places at schools and businesses and see work-labeled macbooks.
lol whatever man

Its my observation. There wouldn’t be a source for that kind of info anyways.

You can disagree all you want, and I almost want you to prove me wrong because I certainly don’t want to support apple crap. But I have my hand in a few companies that give support to the larger players and the word on the street is everything is going apple.

At the end of the day, people just outright hate windows 10 and they can’t keep using windows 7 because enterprise support for windows 7 is coming to an end.

3 Likes

What “IT places” are you going to where they’re primarily Apple computers?

I get that if you go to a ReactJS conference or Hackathon that you’ll see Macbooks. Dev preference, fanboyism, whatever. But in the enterprise I don’t see that happening.

I just recently graduated and spent 10 years in college off and on, everything on campus labs or libraries was Linux or Windows. Some students had an Apple computer, and a couple of professors. I’ve worked in corporate IT, worked for managed service providers, and have done development for HRIS at two different companies over the last 8 years. With the exception of a handful, less than 1% of the employees at my corporate IT gig, and two companies I serviced at the MSP, it was overwhelmingly Windows, with some Cisco, pfSense, and Linux thrown in the mix.

I realize this is turning into a my anecdote is better than your anecdote pissing match, but have you guys supported Apple computers in an enterprise IT environment? Good f*cking luck. LDAP always shits itself, the keychain is constantly demanding to be setup, and then tries to override the domain account, printers and their drivers are a nightmare even with a print server, and then, THEN, MOVING DESKS AND OFFICES. Oh my fucking God moving an iMac across the hall and it doesn’t power on. PRAM reset, the other reset where you hold every key on the keyboard, reseated the RAM, etc. – Call Apple support and they say it’s some built in mechanism to deter theft, read on the forums and THERE ARE CASES OF THIS SHIT HAPPENING. The answer is leave it off for three days wtf. A day later we try again and it powers on. Talk all the shit you want about Windows and “”“MoneySoft M$$$$$$$$$$ l337"”", but they never pulled that shit. I got management up my dick because the lazy piece of shit wasn’t working all week but decides to blame me for this one incident because they can’t meet a God damn deadline.

Look, all I’m saying is, if they pull that Apple trigger, they gon regret it. Hard.

@Tjj226_Angel People just outright hate Windows 10, people just outright hated Windows 8.1, people just outright hated Windows 8, people just outright hated 7, people just outright hated Vista, people just outright hated XP. That’s how it goes. Everyone shits on Microsoft because it’s easy and it’s the cool thing to do. Mac’s have telemetry, hell, so does Linux! But you’ll never catch a fraction of the shit for using one of those systems than with using Windows. It’s a tool, and it’s very useful. Use it for what it is, or don’t.

Personally, I think Windows 10 is their best OS to date. Cry about spyware or other hyperbole nonsense, that’s fine. Even Zed Shaw has come around to using it. From what I can tell, most people on this forum use it. If you turn off the features you don’t want, yeah, sometimes they turn back on after a major update. Again, this happens constantly with OS X and iOS devices, but they get a free pass because they added a display port and called it “The D Port” threw a revolutionary label on it and got showered with praise. Meanwhile, Microsoft is actually researching cutting edge physics and developing tech based on that research, they’ve deployed “cloud” infrastructure that allows 3D rendering to be done on a remote server, and – oh, wait, we don’t talk about that because they collect hardware data. Oh well… Hey, you see this new API Apple has at their conference? It’s a new, new, NEW javascript framework that you can put in your blog about being anti-establishment.

1 Like

I work for $BigPharmaCompany and we all use windows for everything. We just upgraded to Win7 last year. The only apple products we use are for the bigwigs phones; and that’s it. Our infrastructure is huge. All the stores also run windows. I wish we had more linux server’s but I don’t get to make that call. Hell we also just upgraded to IBM power 8 systems and they loose official support in like 2 years. Apple brings nothing to the table in terms of enterprise tech; they’re too busy making cheap phones.