Thoughts/Experiences Working at GeekSquad/EasyTech/whatevs

So as many of you know, I'm a freshman in college.  I'm going to be moving into an apartment pretty soon, and therefore won't have to do a 1.5hr bus commute to college.  I'll have a lot more time, which I hope to not totally waste by playing more video games.

My mom has sort of pushed me to find a part-time job, and I'm alright with that.  More spending money for me.

I've worked at a boba tea shop during summer, but other than that I have no other work experience.  I didn't particularly like it, but the money was there and it was only for 3 months.

I was debating trying to get a job at BestBuy's GeekSquad or Fry's or anywhere else in the general category, really.  Yeah, they rip their customers off and all, but the pay for the people who sit around and work needs to come from somewhere.  I've got no A+ certification or anything.  I've just got the experience of repairing/cleaning up ~4-6 laptops and desktops, and knowledge in my brain.

Since I'm a full-time student, I can only really work on the weekends.  Are the chances of a part-time job much lower than a full-time job?

Has anyone had a job working for a large(or small) tech company fixing computers or doing whatever they do?  How is it?

I am a sophomore in college who happens to work at Best Buy. I work in mobile rather than geek squad but from a more generalized standpoint as far as employee satisfaction it's pretty great. Like I said, geek squad is a bit different, but you still would have to deal with people, and as long as you are fine with that and you like what you do then its good. In my particular store my managers are incredible and its a super low pressure and fun environment. As far as availability you simply give them your times for availability and the schedule is automatically generated around that. 

As far as 'ripping off' customers, the inside impression is really exactly the opposite. While I will try to sell you something that fits your needs, at the end of the day, I'm not on commission so if you don't buy it, I don't care. I would say that the occasional 'the salesman was super demanding and I felt trapped' incidents a few and far between and the reps are definitely doing it wrong. Another thing that people aren't as aware of is Best Buy's price matching policy. Essentially if you see something on newegg that you want today, walk into the store and we can look it up and match it on the spot.

I worked at a Best Buy a few years back.  I was a Geek Squad DCI (supervisor).  It's fine, but it's basically the low end of the totem as far as IT work goes.  A lot of people seem to think that working at Geek Squad means sitting in the back and working on computers all day.  Not the case.  Most of the job for a CIA (COUNTER Intelligence Agent, get it, because you work at a counter?), which is your standard line level Geek Squad employee, is still sales.   You may even spend part of your time over in the Computer Department selling GS services.  Only a small part of the job is what I would consider "real" IT work.  

When you aren't selling or helping customers, you are just following basic steps, doing software installs and basic set-ups on new computers, doing basic malware clean up and data backups, sending things in for service and trying to get customers to come and pick their shit up (though, if you're lucky, you'll have a few admins that will handle most of that).  When I worked there, I only had a couple guys who actually knew their stuff working for me.  The other 10 or so I basically just had on a checklist for basic tasks.  

There were no real qualifications for Geek Squad employees below the DCI (which IIRC required A+ and MCSE, with CCNA suggested when I worked there, but it's been a while so it may have changed...  hell the MCSE isn't even the same cert anymore lol).  So not having a cert wont be an issue unless you get promoted.  Though, assuming your store cares about Geek Squad (mine didn't seem to), they will want you to have some basic IT knowledge and sales ability.  

Anyway, the job is fine (being a CIA is certainly less of a headache than being a DCI), and pays decently well compared to other Best Buy departments...  but you will still have to deal with customers, most of which are having problems.  So there's a large customer service component as well.  Just something to keep in mind.

Happy job hunting.

1 Like

Interesting.  I'm not a super social guy, but I can tolerate customer interaction.  Heck, if I did it for a whole summer working as a cashier, I think I'll be fine.

Just wondering - is there any training of any sorts?

Yes and no.  The only positions that get sent away to do any training are the DCI and the DAs (in home agents).  Everyone else just gets basic on the job training in store.  A lot of it is e-learning type stuff also.

Your DCI and/or Senior will train you on Best Buy/Geek Squad SOP, the MRI software (and what tools you can and can't use), how to log things, fill out paperwork, send things out for service, basic troubleshooting etc.  Everything else will likely be done through e-learnings (assuming things still work the same as when I was there), or you will just pick things up along the way, or someone will teach you when they have time.  

You're not going to get any super in depth tech training or anything like that.  At least not officially.  Like I said, the good stores tend to look for people who already have at least SOME skill or experience in pc/electronics repair and troubleshooting.  Though, a lot of the tasks don't require much more than the ability to follow a basic checklist really (which is why there aren't any certifications required).  As I said above, it's about the bottom rung of the IT world.

Do you have to be 18 to work there? I'm 17 and have my A+ and am probably over qualified to work there, relative to a lot of the people who seem to get hired for Best Buy. I have great people skills and I'm not the typical "computer person" stereotype. I just want a job where I'm not outside doing labor and getting dirty, while also getting paid more. I make $7.25 an hour and have more skills than many people who make like $14 an hour.

I hope I don't sound arrogant in any way, it's just frustrating that a lot of businesses won't even consider you if you are under 18.

They hire people under 18.  I had 2 part timers who were around 16, and there were plenty of other people under 18 in other departments.  You'll be able to make more than you are now @ GS, but, you know, not DRASTICALLY more.  Especially not as a new hire CIA.  $10, maybe $12 an hour depending on location is probably what you'd be looking at.

Even for $10 an hour I'd be happy. Would be a lot easier than my current job. That and it would provide experience at least somewhat close to my future career.