This Simply Can't Be!

i was doing a comparison with my radeon 4890 vs 8800 GT in UT3 and what i found was shocking! (to me anyway)

(Max settings,No AA,No AF,1680x1050)

tested at Koos Barge with 32 bots...

===8800===

Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg

38894, 546123, 40, 132, 71.218

===4890==

28488, 426828, 32, 146, 66.744

i new that Unreal was better on nvidia but how is this result even possible?!

were talking about a huge difference in price and performance on other games between the two...but this?...it seems to be faster in Gears Of War as well...

tell me its driver related...im actually leaning towards returning this and getting XFX 275 too see what it can do-since these are my games of choice..

any help would be appreciated..

Check some other games, if you get the same result and you feel up for it go with the return for a GTX 275.

>ATi

There's your problem.

===8800===

38894, 546123, 40, 132, 71.218

===4890==

28488, 426828, 32, 146, 66.744

There's your proof.

i knew that would happen

Ati is budget friendly but has worse software, nvidia may be more expensive but your paying for more than hardware... the software that drives nvidia GPUS is awesome

the 4890 looks hell of a lot better though..i wonder if the 275 has the same IQ as the 8800 and its just faster....that would kinda suck

sorry but 300$ is alot of money..not very budget for me

does the 4870 smoke the 8800GT in this game up to now??

might just be drivers since its happening in gears of war also...

No AA or AF? What is this!

Seems odd, my 3870 isn't that much worse than those FPS readings with AA and AF on at 1680x1050. I don't know exactly what my FPS is, but i don't notice any lag.

Another thing about AMD is that their drivers aren't that stable as Nvidias. Some may crash or some may bottleneck the hell out of the GPU. W/E...

>Frank

Ever have low self esteem issues? Just take a look at this guy, and you'll feel better.

The 4890 is a new card, so the drivers for it need to improve over time, that being said Nvidia does have better drivers than ATi's.

And XFX, no... Get EVGA or anything else if you really must switch.

anything above 60fps is a waste

i played CS 1.6??

Geforce 7600 GT OC = 200fps

Radeon 3870x2 OC = 70fps

looks exactly the same lol

Atticah wrote 41 minutes ago »

i played CS 1.6??

Radeon 3870x2 OC = 70fps

finally, someone else with common sense.

also, XFX makes fine video cards.

makes no dofference in brand unless they oc, and why get an OC'd card for a couple bucks more when you can save a couple bucks by overclocking it yourself.

i was going to get an ASUS GTX 280, but ended up getting an MSI GTX 280, so far all i see is that its the exact same graphics card with different stickers, and it also came with Far Cry 2, which i already bought earlier, so i have 2 accounts on far cry 2 :P

anyways back to topic, i play css at min 140 average around 300 fps, i see no difference when i played it with my 8800 gts 512 and back than my fps were like around 150 i think, dont remember , i saw no doffference, css at max setting full aa and 1920x1200 for my 24" HD LCD i use

AMD/ATI have to creat software for both their GPU's and CPU's and Nvidia are dedicated in GPU's and Motherboards, which is why they have better drivers, they got more money and time to use on drivers while amd struggle to battle intel/nvidia with their new releases.. amd gotta fight 2 companies, nvidia gotta fight one company, intel gotta fight the same company, therefore better driver if it makes sense..

ok for the idiot language: AMD/ATI gotta double tyheir efforts for both their companies, while intel only use their efforts on 1 product, and nvidia only focus on 1 product, making less workload for better drivers

ultracombo wrote 13 hours ago »

>Frank

Ever have low self esteem issues? Just take a look at this guy, and you'll feel better.

The 4890 is a new card, so the drivers for it need to improve over time, that being said Nvidia does have better drivers than ATi's.

And XFX, no... Get EVGA or anything else if you really must switch.

your a fucking faggot and i hate you.

give the 4890 a break ..it just came out so drivers for all the games would be fixing all of that eventually

Atticah wrote 17 hours ago »

i played CS 1.6??

Radeon 3870x2 OC = 70fps

i've always looked at upgrading vid cards as raising minimum frames...never "jumping" from 130 to 200 thank you very much...and the 8 FPS difference between the 2 is noticeable for sure!

LOL @ Frank.

Could've expected that.

substancegamer wrote 7 hours ago »

Atticah wrote 17 hours ago »

i played CS 1.6??

Radeon 3870x2 OC = 70fps

i've always looked at upgrading vid cards as raising minimum frames...never "jumping" from 130 to 200 thank you very much...and the 8 FPS difference between the 2 is noticeable for sure!

pay triple digits for a card that raises Min. FPS over (Your Choice)

Waiting for new drivers which usually imp FPS Lulz (My CHoice)

The Conclusion = MORE MONEY MORE BOATS AND HOES

PCG4M1NGRTW wrote 13 hours ago »

LOL @ Frank.

Could've expected that.

lol let me guess..frank's the ricer?

look guys ATI and AMD are so dumb they only care about hardware improvements and neglecting software side so they suck in real world application like games.in the end intel and nvidia wins because they work closely with developers to optimize they are hardware.

just registered the card...not really familiar with the hassle and support that goes with RMA'ing...

i'll just wait for drivers...it's not happening in gears of war anymore because i got rid of AEGIA thingy..and it's fast :)