This guy on YT thinks crazy things about the Steam Controller

If you guys were to go to the first post in the discussion on the comments and read from there, you would see that I covered everything you guys have mentioned. He claims a driver could do it among other things. I told him, to blame Dell not Valve and certainly not SteamOS. i am hoping he stops trying to spout crazy things and that the other guy will take it from here. I am going to have a lot of ammo to rant with while playing Arma 3 tonight.

The funny thing is there would be no arguing if they youtube guy didnt show the little flap with the controller adapter, because he would have gone on his mindless way thinking peripherals work like magic!

If anything having the controller adapter removable is good as it gives you more versatility. want to use it on your PC instead of the .. console PC.. plug it into your PC. Cant do that with an xbox controller. I wonder if hes have the same problem if he knew the PS4 uses bluetooth.. you know, the kind of things your have an adaptor for on your PC, pluged into the motherboard or usb.

I like the suggestion of using wifi, becuase people would want to dedicate an entire antenna just tot he controller.

1 Like

Non removable batteries HA HA HA HA! Sorry I just have a screwdriver...

Yeah there are rechargeable batteries, then I have to buy another thing entirely to charge them also not an acceptable solution. With an on board one you can plug it in and continue playing with out having to stop and replace the batteries with another set. And with external rechargeable ones you need at least two sets.

And I have to press a button on the back of the controller.

Yeah about that...

and what do you think you're doing with your PS3 controller? replacing it with straws? after a while the batteries die out. just like any other controller. there's a solution for anything.

I have yet to have to replace the battery in a PS3 controller and it has been years.

Not everyone is going to screw open their controller to do what you do. like i said there's solutions for everything. Xbox has wireless battery banks for it, there are rechargeable AA batteries available for the Steam controller. batteries that are not replaceable under normal means is not a good thing. Bluetooth is not a good thing for latency either. look at the countless amounts of threads on the internet about bluetooth issues. these dongles are there for a reason. and to end this, not every single motherboard has bluetooth. the steam machines SHOULD have it. but there are motherboards that don't come with Wi-Fi or bluetooth. which would just make your PS3 controller useless in some cases.

It can be wired and used with no latency that way if you really can feel latency, but 99% of people will not be able to tell the difference as with bluetooth gaming mice, they would not exist if they could feel or if it had any noticeable impact on gaming experience.

As for the batteries.

Yup again requiring you buy yet another thing to plug in just to use you controller. Currently Steam controllers do not have this completely negating the point.

Well designed controllers such as the PS3 and PS4 controllers do not suffer with batteries dying in catastrophic ways that require user maintenance and can always be warranty replaced if they do. To further the reliability they use the same battery technology as phone batteries so are long lasting and designed for years of use. It is simply the more user friendly way of doing things. No stopping to replace batteries mid game potentially mid action or worse still multiplayer to go find batteries and replace them unless you want a stock of batteries on you living room table where these Steam Consoles are aimed. It also means you have to have AA batteries always on hand, we have not had them in our the only time we need them is for one TV's remote and they last a long time in there as it is not a constantly running wireless controller and not system critical so we don't keep batteries on hand, they are a nuisance more than an help.

For all the time they have put into the user experience and ease of use with the Steam controller this appears a huge over sight from a usability standpoint.

EDIT: Bluetooth also make it so I can and do use my PS3 controller as my game pad on my phone and tablet. It is standardised and universal across multiple platforms with no real latency especially considering the PS2 controller uses Bluetooth 2.0 which is not even specifically made for this application and still out performs all other proprietary offerings currently. Using bluetooth 4.0 or later which is made for high speed communication perfect for games controllers.

So to recap that is one controller for PS3, Win, Linux and Android. There are probably a few more too but these are just what I have tried.

if you're not going to use it why do you care? the stuff you're describing is really not much a problem for people. clearly it's not cause people are choosing Xbox controllers as their gamepads. which "have these issues you keep claiming." forget the usage scenarios. if people want to use their gamepads they are going to use it. doesn't matter if it has non-removable batteries or if it does. people are going to use it. those little batteries aren't a problem for people. but if the battery HAPPENS to mess up. that's basically it with the PS3 controller. at least you have the option to replace the batteries. with other controllers. and be realistic when it comes to actual PC games, you're still going to need a keyboard and mouse for most games not every game has controller support. just because it comes with a plug to charge it doesn't mean it's going to make it the preferred controller for these steam machines. people are going to use what they like. the advantage of the Steam controller is you can modify the controls of it as apposed to the PS3 controller and the Xbox controller.

Because I really Wanted this to be the permanent controller for my PC, I wanted to buy it. It says it can so everything but has short coming compared to other available controllers. And people buying xBox controllers with these short coming is not because they think it is the best but as you should well know with things like PC vs Linux, it is because they simply don't know any better.

And no I have never heard of button remapping /s. But the steam controller at least has this as an option built in, then again the Pro xBox controller is supposed to as well.

yeah but the pro xbox controller is a bit much. Microsoft charges $150 dollars for this feature (Then again their controller map is customizable and comes with replaceable analog sticks and such) Valve gives you this option for $50.

1 Like