Thinkpad P1 - Worth dealing with repasting & undervolting?

I’ve been eyeing the gen 2 thinkpad P1 - but the thermals seem to be a big issue. one notebookcheck there’s a review indicating that the thermal throttling is so bad it’s outperformed by the gen 1.
everyone recommends repasting the heatpipes and undervolting the CPU. something about purchasing a product that’s broken out of the box doesn’t sit right with me. i’d be interested to hear from someone with a P1 or an X1E what their experiences are.
or is this just common among the ultralight mobile workstations like the xps 15?

Der8auer did some liquid metal to his X1 carbon and it helped eGPU performance a little:

that’s a nice performance increase achieved so easily. i wonder why it is they don’t just come undervolted and properly pasted out of the factory?

I had a w520 as my main computer for years.
When I first got it, brand new, the cpu was always above 70c, and easily jumped into the 90s, getting throttled.

After a few weeks of this bullshit I repasted with IC Diamond (back when it was the best regular paste. It’s still damn good though) and immediately the temps idled around 43-47c, and would go to 60-70c under load, barely reaching 80c in a full stress test.

Repasting thinkpads is MANDATORY if you want to get full use out of it because Lenovo always fucks up the paste job, even if they manage to design an otherwise working thermal solution. The fuckers.

I’d recommend just getting a big tube of thermal grizzly kryonaught and using that for everything.

Repasting thinkpads is MANDATORY if you want to get full use out of it because Lenovo always fucks up the paste job, even if they manage to design an otherwise working thermal solution. The fuckers.

i appreciate that kind of experienced input. if that’s just the way things are i guess it’s worth repasting to get a nice beefy portable