Thinkpad L380 Trackpad Swap

I’ve been using my L380 for a while now, and never really liked the stock touchpad. It’s plastic and just not that great to use. So I generally stick with the trackpoint.

I decided to try swapping to a glass touchpad and found one on amazon supposedly for an X1 Carbon 5th gen. Same dimensions, same connector, same screw holes etc…

I just got the part today and installed it, and for some reason it works, but just barely.

It’s jumpy and feels like there’s a negative acceleration applied which makes it go slower the faster I swipe my finger. The clicker doesn’t work unless you’re right clicking, gestures don’t work and it’s just generally a horrible experience.

i tried re-installing the stock drivers, tried installing the X1C 5 drivers, X1C 6 drivers, X280 drivers and even hopped onto linux Mint and Ubuntu because this kind of stuff is generally just supposed to work in linux from what I’ve heard.

Oddly enough, it seemed to work a little better in linux. The click worked, gestures worked and it seemed to move the cursor a lot better… but every 5 seconds it would turn off and then back on.

I’m not too sure what could be causing this. If anyone can shed some light on what I’m dealing with here, I’d really appreciate it.