Thinking about new game dev project. Help me choose

Hey.
As some of you may know, I have been working on a game for a while… On and off, but there was some progress.
Well, recently (last week actually), I lost all the progress I have made. I accidentally deleted all the files, so now I have nothing.
So I have decided to start a new game development projects. Much smaller and simpler this time.
So here are a couple ideas I have:

1. Start the same game again, just simplified and streamlined, so the development will be faster and there will not be that much complexity to it.
    Basically a king simulation, where you act as a king and send your Knights and emissaries to different lands and they act on your behalf, so you send someone else later on to clean up the mess.
  2. Being hardware enthusiast and all, how about a game (there are a couple of them on mobile and Early Access), where you manage a PC maintenance shop, store or whatever… You have clients with complaints, you troubleshoot, replace parts, etc. Build new systems as well, according to the people’s wishes… Stuff like that.
  3. A restaurant management game. Simple one. The main thing will be recipes, beautification, equipment, finances, stuff like that. Not minigame, but not fully fledged detailed game.
  4. Farmville knockoff… Because we have such a shortage of those…

I can deal with any of them, so it doesn’t really matter. The question is, which one to start work on?
May be twitch stream, may be YouTube videos, 100% a forum thread…

• King simulation - the remake
  • PC store / maintenance
  • Restaurant management
  • Farming game

0 voters

Let the voting begin NOW.

I like myself some simple turn based strategy (or real time).
Would even be interested in CLI strategy…

1 Like

DAFUQ is this?

2 Likes

I would say king sim but I like far too deep political/economic sims (still haven’t found one that I’m really happy with…)(My expectations in this genre are way too high), but I really enjoy a good farming sim, so that’s my vote.

2 Likes

Command Line Interface Strategy
type what action and to wich field and stuff happens.
Thing about it like playing chess over phone.

1 Like

Oh that’s going to be painful to idiot proof. Programing the mechanics are fairly straightforward, but the spelling and all possible errors… The typing recognition will be a nightmare…

Use Git this time! I wanna play!!

1 Like

I haven’t reach the play phase the last time. So if I get deep into development this time - all of you will play. I mean the Remake is leading with HUGE margine, so I will need a lot of testers for this game…

Just take it as string and search for your string.

1 Like

Yeah, just as I thought - the coding of this will be nightmarish… GameMaker is not really all that great in text use…

In response to farming simulation: Have you accepted Stardew Valley into your life?

1 Like

Somewhat. I played a bit of it, I loved most of it, I hated the fact I can’t just focus on the farm. I must go to the beach, I must go to the mines, I must do billion other things, and all I wanted to do is farm…

Keep going.

Once you do all of that, you can focus entirely on the farm. The important thing is you get Iridium sprinklers and start growing almost nothing but Ancient Fruit, which you make into wine then age and sell (or just sell the wine outright).

Once you’re doing that, you can buy your way through anything else.

Also they just added a bunch of stuff including fucking MULTIPLAYER. Goddamn what an awesome dev.

Unlike Harvest Moon you don’t need to worry about a time limit.

1 Like

Excuse me?

The 3 year limit doesn’t really matter. Your grandpa judges you but then tells you he will come back and judge your farm again if you put a diamond in the thing in the upper left hand corner of the farm, and you can keep going regardless of his judgement.

In Harvest Moon, there was a 2 year time limit. If you didn’t reach a certain number of “points” for doing specific things, you would “lose” the game and have to start a new on, win and you get to keep going infinitely.

In Stardew Valley you have infinite time from the get go.

The only thing you get from maxing out his judgement is a statue that gives you X amount of iridium ore each day.

1 Like

I’m very new to programming so correct me if i’m wrong, but in order to search for the string wouldn’t he have to declare every possible spelling, wording, and answer as strings?

1 Like

Not really… The string “word” is only equal to the string “word” so any other string will count as a different string. Every other thing - capital letters, spelling mistakes, mistypes, etc, needs to be accounted by me when programming. This is why it will be nightmarish. I can just check for the correct spelling and ignore everything else, yes, but…

Tempted to build me a CLI game. :slight_smile:

1 Like

A more complex moddable Stardew valley type game would be cool.

Since you accidentally deleted all your data I think you should first fix your backup solution. File versioning would be useful too.

I use Syncthing to backup all my files back to my home server across all my computers.

1 Like

Kind of.
If you expect “input”, but don´t want to exclude “Input” (capital i), then you could just search for “nput” in the string the user put in.

1 Like