Thinking about building my sister a new pc

I think its time to build my sister a new pc.

Her Current PC Specs

Core 2 Duo E8400 @ Stock
Intel Stock Cooler
Gigabyte GA-G41M-Combo
1x 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz
Gigabyte GTX 560 SOC
TP-Link 300Mbps Wireless N PCI-E
320GB 3.5" Seagate HDD + 120GB 2.5" Seagate HDD
OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W
Thermaltake V3 Black Edition

Proposed

Completely New PC

+ CPU Cooler will be my old H60 with the above SP120's due to original fan being broken.

What do you guys think?

Changed it to a HyperX Savage 240GB

Australia?

Yes.

Ended up pulling the trigger after changing the SSD just need to pick it up now.

You coulda gotten a decent faster system overall, especially the 290 and i5, the 6300 isn't bad for gaming exactly, but at that budget an i5 is better

PCPartPicker part list: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/2WPrFT
Price breakdown by merchant: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/2WPrFT/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($269.00 @ Centre Com)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($109.00 @ CPL Online)
Memory: Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($67.00 @ CPL Online)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.00 @ Centre Com)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 290 4GB DirectCU II Video Card ($395.00 @ CPL Online)
Case: Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Mwave Australia)
Power Supply: Fractal Design Integra R2 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($98.00 @ CPL Online)
Total: $1056.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-17 13:49 AEDT+1100

1 Like

The only thing I would say take a shot at is a 500 GB HDD. I can fill 320 GB's with just my games library alone and it isn't that big (of the games that I play at least). 320 just feels too..... small, O guess. If you can't buy one, scrap one! Obviously new is better but I have scrapped laptop HDD's before and never had problems. Obviously this is subjective but thats up to you really.

What does she do with it ? A SSD for the OS would give the PC life again/

The new system is built, sorry don't have pics yet - it looks awesome though.

She uses the PC for Internet, Netflix/Streaming Services, Music, Picture Editing, Office, Gaming (not very often, mainly a console gamer atm) - Basically a little bit of everything.

The main reasons I opted for a whole new system instead of upgrading various components are:

• Slow Performance
  • SATA 2, PCIe Gen 1, USB 2 Limitations
  • Lack of USB Ports & PCIe Slots
  • 4GB of RAM is below the minimum requirements for some titles and isn't enough for editing pictures among other things.
  • The GTX 560 no longer meets the minimum requirements for some titles.