I need a Thin Client Server for a Small Business which can handle Virtualization, VIFO, QEMU, KVM and PCIe Passthrough.
I have acquired 6 second hand Hp T620 Thin Clients which are on a Ethernet LAN.
I need a Computer which will act as VM Host Server and serve VMs to these thin clients.
Maximum load on the system will be 4 concurrent users, each with two 1920x1080 displays:
- 3 doing office stuff (Firefox, Thunderbird, LibreOffice)
- 1 doing light video editing (Olive Video Editor) or light gaming (low to medium graphic settings are fine)
Hardware I will probably need to buy:
- AMD GPU not NVIDIA
Probably Re-usable Hardware I already have:
- Two 120GB SSDs
- Three 1TB HDDs
- DVD/Blue Ray Drives
- Antec Nine Hundred Tower Case
- Corsair Enthusiast SeriesTX650W PSU
- MSI - Radeon R7 360 2 GB Video Card
- Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1050 2 GB Windforce OC Video Card
Probably Incompatible Hardware I already have:
- Gigabyte - GA-EX58-UD4P ATX LGA1366 Motherboard
- Intel® Core™ i7-920 Processor
- Corsair - XMS3 6 GB (3 x 2 GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
- I was thinking that I should have 1 dedicated AMD GPU PCIe passthrough to the user doing video editing.
- I can probably also passthrough the motherboard onboard graphics to 1 VM.
- If I get a Intel 5th generation or later CPU it will have Intel GVT-g so I can split the integrated graphics between the rest of the VMs.
- I saw that some motherboards have multiple CPU sockets which would mean I could get 2 or more CPUs with integrated graphics.
- The Passthrough Post’s hardware list and Wikipedia’s IOMMU list is probably a good place to start when looking for suitable hardware but im not sure what I need.
- Run openSUSE Leap 15.1 and Set Up a KVM VM Host Server
- Run openSUSE Tumbleweed on VMs to get latest software
Ideally less than or around $1000 AU if absolutely necessary probably up to maximum of $2000 AU
Australia NSW, just North of Sydney
Please help a noob out:
Any feedback or Ideas on what you think I should do would be appreciated.