These Linux vs Windows benchmark results are pretty interesting

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=mesa171-win10-linux&num=1

Some things run slightly better on Windows, some things run slightly better on Linux, some things run way better on Windows, some run way better on Linux.

My take on it is the Linux drivers are pretty mature, it's mostly down to optimization on the game dev's part and what I find most interesting are some of the RX 480 Vs. the Fury where the windows performs better on the RX 480 compared to Linux, but in some cases you get better performance with a Fury on Linux than Windows and I'm thinking maybe HBM might be better utilized on Linux than Windows or at least on paper.

1 Like

Linux would be winning every benchmark, if they chose Gentoo. /s

I wonder if they done or will dothis benchmark with any other Linux distros. As some distros are more optimized then others.

Little confused if hes using radeonsi on the RX 480 thats an amdgpu card.

Would have been interesting to see Talos Vulkan results for the 480 as i get a slight increase in performance over opengl. I'm quite pleased with most of the results. Performance is decent almost across the board, and for heavily in development code thats quite good. I expect continued improvement as always from AMD.

Maybe 5% faster

1 Like

radeonsi is the Mesa driver and AMDGPU is the kernel driver, they're entirely separate.

1 Like

So many names for things.

Is this true? As radeonsi no longer loads for me, amdgpu took over. I can use radeonsi by disabling amdgpu.

The naming can get really confusing.
AMDGPU replaced radeon as the default kernel driver for newer AMD cards, but radeonsi is compiled into your mesa libraries and provides 3D APIs like OpenGL. radeon is probably what's failing to load for you when AMDGPU is enabled.

Hm this isn't exactly right.. at least in the naming of what was loaded. Before amdgpu my card loaded specifically radeonsi which was supported by a number of card but not older ones. Maybe it's just a subset of radeon and was used as the naming convention for the newer cards before amdgpu

Hmm..

Just to clarify, when you mean loaded you're referring to kernel modules, right?

If I remember right yeah. Found in dmesg usually. Though I think your right and I think I may be right in that if your card supported it specifying radeon loaded radeonsi as I could still blacklist radeon to not load either. And I believe if I tried I could load radeonsi/radeon by disabling amdgpu. Hense where my confusion came from.

But we are talking about the company with 4 names for one gpu

Haha yeah it probably wouldn't hurt them to improve on naming.

If you do have a GPU supported by AMDGPU though, it is still possible (and recommended) to use radeonsi as your Mesa driver. If you're on Gentoo, this page on the Gentoo Wiki explains it.

1 Like

My 480 on fedora just reports everything as amdgpu loaded by the kernel, works for me in conjunction with my current mesa and llvm (though I need to update the latter for opengl 4.3)

sometimes linux with shit drivers outperforms windows.
that just comes to show how sad and pathetic the windows platform is.

join the linux elite, we have beer and beards

Radeonsi is in AMDGPU. AMDGPU is always KMS like radeon, unlike the former fglrx, and even if you load PRO. The extended instructions of radeonsi are in AMDGPU, and the extended instructions exclusive to fglrx in comparison to radeonsi, are in PRO.

Yeah, it's a bit of a mess lolz

1 Like

Why they decided to use Ubuntu and, at the end of the article, mention that it's not offically supported by the AMDGPU-PRO drivers? I think they used Ubuntu since is the most known flavour of Linux.
I've noticed that the Linux results in games are lower most of the time because of the lower minimum framerates. Also they didn't put up the frame time. Average framerate doesen't mean too much if the frame times are not low enough.