THEkitchenSINK plays with a MAC G5 QUAD + linux [just do it challange]

still have alot to work on i cant get linux to boot correctly due to ram issues and i cant figure out if gpu or dram so trying gpu first the ram then i can fianlly test nvme

1 Like

Bought the wrong 4500 fuck oh well I’ll drop it in a system for something

the correct card has a small metal plate covering dual sided ram
annoying

1 Like

heres some cpu info i could grab from lubuntu
after the boinc bench test
weirdly i cannot get a bogo mips for the 970mp :thinking: i will look into getting that to work

3 Likes

@q66 looks like the enlightenment iso is bad tried USB also and it failed the same xfce works
sshd doesn’t want to set up need to figure it out

1 Like

time to replace ubuntu on the main drive

Someone is so official, all they need is a whistle.

1 Like

I’m not sure I even understand the purpose of installing OS X at this point… what are you going to do with it?

ram testing has hardware testing on osx that i cant get to work in linux can get cpu numbers but no ram info ofw has block/adress info but not much else im not seeing the right ammount of ram in my system

1 Like

ram speed issues and a dead dimm is the reason here

nvme device is seen as pcie storage running as a sata drive so far i am trying to figure out what nvme drives communicate to the chipset to actually get nvme speeds bottle neck is the the drive thinking its sata 500ish mb/s while the slot (pcie1x16) is able to get 4gb/s and i havent really been able to confirm these numbers i am looking for testing software im gonna try network transfers later.

getting more then 1gb/s on a single drive for this would be basic nvme speed for this kinda testing… time to figure what the fuck nvme and the chipset are saying

fx4500 was getting my apt a zillion degrees sooooo back to good but not best card 6600 (not le)
borrowed the ssd riser and i need to get installed on it

m.2 i need more time to figure out but getting 1gb/s reads in a ssd raid array is possible. so time to optimize

3 Likes

the ssd card didnt work with my system it kept freaking out oh well back to dual fx4500s

and another test to start which i have slotted is using the g5 quad to convert mkv -> mp4 in mass i have alot of those now shut down movie things (ultraviolet) and attempt to watch them on my networked ps3 and ps2 they cannot playback mkv so mp4 it is i might be sad that it would be faster when i sleep to do this on my main but hopes

tldr converting movies i saved from these like services change to mp4 now

3 Likes

After some digging I found some ddr2 sticks in bulk at a recycle center they didn’t allow photos? was cheap af am not at my g5 to test them all but once I’m. Not on data I will post more pics

Update on the mkv -> mp4 work it is faster and actually good speed on the g5 to a networked nas-ssd over gigabit cause 2 1g ports in 2005 was awesome

Update the g5 has now been attached to my x serve raid and gonna get the fiber connection set up with th xserve raid and g5 so I can be stupid with old 2gb/s fiber connection I’ve seen a sata 3 mod for the xserve raid I might buy a second xserve raid to test that.

One YUGE thing about the xserve raid system is that it has a ups built in to each segment of the array 1-7 and 8-14 drives are on separate I could in theory connect 12 total arrays for a g5 system and never have a issue with loosing power

1 Like

Such a great system. I have a similar setup to your own. (Differing in watercool/pump configuration + 9800GT) I’ve installed Ubuntu per Luigi Bardo’s instructions @ubuntu forums. I’ve never come across Void linux for PPC. Is the install similar? Greater features not availble in Ubuntu?

Thread closed as it was outside the guidelines for thread revival. Please PM me or another moderator if you feel the thread was closed in error. See the FAQ for more information.

Feel free to create a new thread if you wish to continue this thread’s conversation.