The Work From Home (WFH) Thread

The whole Bezos being Lex Luther joke thing is almost not funny because of how true its becoming.

Its hella convenient to get from Amazon when you have prime- no filling in payment details, shipping is for sure free. But yeah, gotta vote with your money. Imma pat myself on the back, my last two purchases have been Amazon free, and a mixed number of purchases before that have been Amazon free.

I have a gift card that still has a lot of money in it on Amazon, but when that dries up there will be even less incentive to use Amazon.

@topic: I got lax on exercise but I started using myfitnesspal again- its been bought out, its annoying like most apps trying to squeeze every cent of profit, but its very good.

So with that, started tracking calories again and its super simply science fam. Tune it around your metabolism and input all your food- set the calorie deficit to fit your goals- it simply works.

I’m already a few pounds lighter (a little agressive at 1500 cals a day), sleep better. highly recommend the app to track your intake, don’t trust your brain.

2 Likes

We got one of these. Good value. Big comfort upgrade over the all-metal, mostly decorative chairs we were repurposing before.

No arm supports? No bueno

They’re optional

Wow, great pricing and review level. tempting but I’d love a test sit first.

1 Like

Back to the calorie deficit thing- I have a noticeable general better feeling of well being when in a deficit, be it when I was keto, or now just conventional deficit. I can’t help but fear if this is revealing of an underlying health issue, I googled if this is common and am not getting accurate results, just a lot of puff pieces about weight loss. Is there a health thread you peeps suggest to ask this in?

This may have been mentioned above, but emulating the commute to work in any capacity has helped me retain my sanity. I have a walking route every morning and every evening for when I start/finish work; about 20-30 mins each way.

It really helps discretise the feeling of ‘being at home’ and ‘being at work’ as my desk and system are in my bedroom.

Having everything except my work VPN remote machine blocked in my DNS blocker has helped me not spend the day on YouTube/playing video games/researching things I’ve never had an interest in prior to WFH.

1 Like

I’ve been thinking about pulling a chair out of a car at the junkyard and putting it on a set of office chair wheels. Some of those luxury cars and vans (captains chairs) are extremely comfortable.

2 Likes

Greenery and fresh air.

It almost makes me want to be a freelancer (not really).

3 Likes

Nice oxygen generators

What models?

4 Likes

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/what-are-you-growing-plants-garden-farm/115516/109

The tall boi is a bean plant.

4 Likes

I was thinking they looked like beans.
I haven’t seen those since elementary school…so many dead bean plants.

It’s currently crawling over my laptop because it decided to snap itself about three inches above the soil it’s in. Now it just flops over if there is no support.

GitLab has a fabulous write up about WFH.

4 Likes

Thanks. I’ll check them out!

Already had most of this, cuz even not considering work from home all these are important. God my home setup is so much nicer then work. Sigh

Look what just came down the pipe.

3 Likes

Yep, can’t wait to give this a watch. Hopefully I can glean something useful.

Watched it earlier. Good tips if you are settings up or you want to improve your work area. At the ending, there are some tips about improving your focus, but not nearly enough. It is understandable, this is about work-space, not work-ethics / work-concentration. I would give the same tips for making your work area. Get a decent webcam, a good mic, headphones that go OVER your ears, NOT ON TOP. Bluetooth is really nice, I just love not having a leash stopping my movement, but with all the tracking going on, I really can’t recommend wireless devices anymore, get a very long wire, as long as you can without compromising signal quality and not be too clunky (get a recoil cord winder too). And even if you trust your devices not to send data to 3rd parties, can you trust that your neighbor’s devices don’t detect yours?

I would argue that if you are planning to have a separate office, follow the FloorGang and get a small coffee table (like an IKEA Lack) and some cushions, but hey, get what you prefer. If you go the desk route, yeah, just get a desk that won’t get in your way, a wide and deep desk is preferable if you have the space, but you should especially invest in a good chair. The Floor Way is cheaper and if done right, arguably better (subjectively). And remember that the floor will always be there for you when you fall. I have tried the floor way for a few hours, it’s great, but I already have a desk (actually 2) and I’m out of space (again, studio apartment). At my workplace, I have a large beanbag and it is wonderful sitting on it and working on my laptop, whenever I am (was) going at work. I always used to get away from my desk and sit on the beanbag a lot. Not sure for how long (days, weeks), if ever, I would get sick of the floor, because I haven’t tried it long-term, unlike the beanbag, but being able to change sitting positions is great. If you have the space, having both would probably be better, but not everyone has a work laptop.

Me and my colleagues don’t really feel like going back at the office anymore. I would prefer to go back, but being alone there sucks (especially since I don’t open the air conditioner if I am alone, I find it to be a waste). I believe we may be going back once summer really starts to kick-in (mid July to late August).

I have to mention this again: take lots of short breaks. Get up from your desk and go look outside for 2-3 minutes, drink some water and then get back to work. If you have a porch or an open balcony, I would really recommend you try to work outside at least 1h a day. Your productivity really starts improving if you do this. This is what I was missing when I started wfh, that I already had at work: lots of breaks and looking outside. When I first started wfh, I used to get longer breaks, but only to just be online and looked outside at a glance.

Off-topic, I just love seeing L1Techs team messing around, I love some good, genuine content to watch. Someone please buy all the L1 KVM stock (store.level1techs.com)! Make Wendell happy!

2 Likes