Return to Level1Techs.com

The Village Project-Gai's Lab and Utter Randomness :tm:

In an effort to contribute more to these forums this here will serve as my main blog to update you all on my various projects and thoughts.

Things I’m working on right now.

• Studying for my LFCS
  • Building A PC in a Milk Crate (thx for the parts @thevillageidiot)
  • Building A 3D Printer Enclosure
  • Old Dell PC into New Wifi 6 enabled Router.

That’s really it rn. but Yeah

6 Likes

If I known you were doing that, I would of sent you a case. I do not have anything small, tho :frowning: An AZZA 9000 or something full tower.

1 Like

Nah fam, I’ve been wanting to build something in a Milk Crate for a while, I have the case from the Old Dell PC any ways!

1 Like

Janky PSU mounting

3 Likes

this is the only way to live i have one for testing older parts and gotta say being able to flip it up and carry it places has made it a useful tool
https://forum.level1techs.com/t/the-lounge-2019-06-june-im-early-edition/143507/100

3 Likes

Yeah I have 3 milk crates right now and I’m debating building my router build in one of them. I also want to find a way to fit two ATX builds in one crate for them giggles. Coincidentally, I still need to find a pfSense compatible wifi 6 card

2 Likes

dell btx = matx nice fit
atx at diag back to back

1 Like

In the beginning post I listed the current projects and things that I wanted to add to my lab but i neglected to inform you all of the current Chieftain of the Village.

Tis a Dell Inspiron 15 7567 Gaming laptop with an i5-7300HQ a laptop GTX 1050 laptop SKU, and a nasty ass keyboard. 8gigs of Ram, 1 Terrabyte of spinning rust and a 1080p display with one dead pixel.

By the end of the month I hope to have enough money so I can upgrade it with these components cuz my hard drive is full and I want to start a YouTube channel and I just got a new camera.

2x 16GB Dimms

I also need to learn how to properly update the Linux kernel.

Feel free to track this thread and make me feel spwecial.

1 Like

1 Like

Hmm I could see a modified version for an external gpu setup for laptops. GPU, adaptor, PSU, fans all in one box, maybe something smaller than a milk crate

1 Like

I do have two post-2013/14 laptops laying around…I NEED TO FINISH OTHER PROJECTS FIRST THO

Be careful with selecting the SSD.
Check if your laptop model supports NVME on that M.2 slot (mine does not, only SATA).

Edit: Ok, you can have NVME.

2 Likes

let me introduce you to a 8 inch cube
edit 8inch cause 7.7inch cubed

1 Like

Honestly I need to find myself one of those cases and make something in it cuz I always need more projects.

In other news I’m almost full up to date with my windows updates and perfomance has gotten smoother and dark mode is pretty dank.

2 Likes

I have noticed that the windows search has gotten faster. It used to hang sometimes for me.

1 Like

Performance has been really shitty for me these past few months. Like it would freeze all the time, report 40% CPU usage but constant 100% Disk usage and 80-90% RAM usage.

it would take a solid two minutes for it to befunctional to use. I think after i update completely ima just reinstall windows.

I’m trying to get one so I can get a outer shell made of blown glass so I can stay away from the yellowing plastic and chips

The outer clean case chips and is hell but it’s bigger then itx in the inner case

1 Like

Yellowing plastic is really annoying *looks at old white nerf guns* but a blown glass exterior sounds mouth-wateringly gorgeous.

Also I lied, for some reason the latest Windows update over rode my systemd-boot partion or something because pop!_os my default OS isn’t booting

1 Like

Nothing a little retr0bright can’t fix

2 Likes

Imma have to get some of that…