The VEGA 56 / 64 Cards Thread! General Discussion

ref vega was discontinued, it may be that an AIB vendor (biostar?) will start/continue producing it.

Well it also looks like the MSI airboost Vega will have similar PCB to reference (at least sizewise). There is one second hand seller in Prague who wants a lot, but I will probably jump for it.

I have a Sapphire Nitro Vega 56 on order and got a preliminary date for last week, but now itā€™s ā€œsome time in March, probablyā€. Good fun, and Iā€™ll be paying the equivalent of about $650 plus tax for it. Since Iā€™m working in a shop thatā€™s also the price straight from the distributor. I canā€™t imagine trying to sell these at any profit. At least the build quality of the card appears to be great.

While I keep asking myself the question why Iā€™m getting one of these, it seems unlikely that AMD will come out with a new performance chip until the very end of this year at the earliest. And I would much like a 20-30 % speed boost over my current Fury. That one is also a Sapphire Nitro and proved to be of great value since I payed just a bit more than half a Vega for it. :wink:

#ventingfirstworldangst

Sapphireā€™s Fury was (is?) a beast! A friend of mine has one. It could be that AMD improves their Vega cards by shrinking the chipsize to 12nm. This might offer a little performance increase again and they could probably officially ship it by the end of summer. But then again, there are many obstacles and I havenā€™t heard anything officialā€¦

I just want a big TDP drop in the next gen AMD cards.

3 Likes

This seems unlikely imho

Edit: That being said, a friend of mine is apparently able to significantly (-200mV) undervolt his Vega 64.

2 Likes

Nvidia is a juggernaut. If navi and intel / vega can rope them back into sight. That is a start. Im happy for there to be two, AMD and Nvidia but in a few more years three with intel in the mix as well. Keeping GPUā€™s on their toes.

2 Likes

It remains to be seen if Intel will target the gamer segment though. Anyway, Iā€™m also glad there are two, which is why I try to buy AMD cards when possible.

True while most new people grow up gamers in some way. GPUā€™s for driving and taking the rest of our Jewbs are a thing that will roll out in massive numbers.

1 Like

Same here. My RXā€™s are a little bit more power hungry than the FEā€™s, but with an overclock, I can drop power to about 1025mV.
Cards run cooler all-around, which is a nice bonus

They even run faster.

2 Likes

Which is something people dont seem to consider. And something that seems to support the idea that Raja sabotaged RTG and Vega prior to going to Intel. If Raja had just had them to undervolt the card etc, the Vega cards would be so much better.

I am also wondering why AMD cards can be undervolted that much. They should be shipped in this setting to begin with. The only valid option possible, would be that there are some awfully bad cards out there which cannot be undervolted. But then again, Iā€™ve never heard of such a card.
In the end, Nvidia profits from this moveā€¦

1 Like

I would almost guess that RTG was aiming to put this card in the mobile space from day 1. And just had to market it as a high end card to appease gamers.

Prices surged again, Iā€™ll probably live GPUā€™less for another year +. All my friends who bought over a year ago have had their GPUs appreciate by almost double lolz. A bit upsetting this particular industry cannot work better with the demand = increase supply model, I suppose they either want to ride out the storm and not invest in increase production capability, or component supply (such as memory) is the problem, or who knows why- but its a bit crazy to see even an underdog not jump on the opportunity and accommodate to huge sales potential. Vega is selling out but if the cyrpto craze hadnā€™t happened they would probably be put on clearance due to their lackluster gaming results. I welcome Intel to the fray (though as others mentioned, they will likely be made for industry and not gaming), I just want a gosh-darn GPU to drive my 40" 4K for casual gaming and not feel totally ripped off.

A friend of mine started investing some money in various stocks a while ago and recently he told me his best investment so far has been his GPU :smiley: So yeah, strange times, this hasnā€™t happened beforeā€¦

Anyway I donā€™t think they donā€™t want to produce more, I think they really struggle at producing as much as they are now. Most (if not all) of this is memory related of course. Samsung is still the only producer so far that manufactures HBM2 - or has TSMC entered the game?
Furthermore, they donā€™t want to repeat 2013 mistake all over again and ruin their quarterly sales. I think increased GPU prices are something we have to learn to live with.

@LinuxMaster9 What makes you think that? If it were targeted at the mobile sector, shouldnā€™t it consume less power? I think Vega is supposed to be a good alround card, focusing on workstation and server related stuff like neural network computing, etc. Gamers have demonstrated time and time again that most of them donā€™t give a fuck about value per dollar, or AMD in general and just want Nvidia.

You canā€™t ice pick a product single handed and then leave with know one left to squawk loudly.

AMD and Vega jumped a few pegs but we compare them to Nvidia which laughs on video that gamers fund there branch into AI GPU.

I posted this video back when it was released: The VEGA Whatever Thread! ANYTHING on VEGA

Oh, oops. With all the talk about Raja sabotaging RTG, I was assuming that no one had seen it.