The VEGA 56 / 64 Cards Thread! General Discussion

I am willing to give amd a little leeway with my purchasing decision due to that I will actually benefit from the compute performance and Freesync, however my leeway only goes so far.

the pricing sucks

short answer, if this goes any further south for Amd I will be getting a 1080

Well something is definitely going on at the retailers end. There is no reason why RX Vega is priced at 599.99 USD at newegg.com yet is $659.99 USD (converted) on newegg.ca

That is total BS. You can look at Threadripper, Asus Zenith Extreme and so on. There is never an extra charge over conversion. That is price gouging by the retailer plain and simple.

2 Likes

because fuck canada I guess

technically not gouging if youā€™re doing it in different countries, but itā€™s still pretty egregious price fixing.

Yeah, kind of fuck Germany as well. 609,- Euro is the cheapest you can buy. 649,- for the limited.

I should be getting my leaf blower on friday. (limited for lolz)

1 Like

Getting bent over and sent to brown town in Australia too. Iā€™ve waited months to rebuild the system I lost this time last year due to asbestos contamination but the performance/value ratio is getting really skewed from the Australia Tax + AMDā€™s bullshit. I was going to pick up one of those UW Crossover monitors and pair it with a Vega 56 but I can get a 1080 for a little bit more for far better performance. The 1080 will cost less in the long run too due to the high cost of power here.

Iā€™m in Queensland.

christ alive you fucks pay a lot for power.

Seems like youā€™d have decent nuclear or solar infrastrucure by now with all that desert.

1 Like

again, probably not AMD. We donā€™t know enough to say either way, and itā€™s almost never the highest upstream in products like GPUs just by the nature of their manufacture

1 Like

I think itā€™s fuck the rest of the worldā€¦

I considered the 1080 Ti when I saw the price of RX Vega 64. The two things that stopped me was 1) for my use case the RX Vega 64 is slightly better and 2) I am already invested in waterblocks for RX Vega. Literally 20 to 30 more USD would have made me buy the 1080Ti. I really wanted to give AMD the chance this time around but I have to say I am not enjoying this experience when it come to the graphics side.

3 Likes

I mean people were already getting hysterical over Vega before AMD did that. Too bad cause AMD ended up giving people a reason to be.

I mean it isnā€™t hard to sell a couple hundred cards at launch. Vegaā€™s supply was so low is the major factor for it going out of stock early on.

Iā€™ll give you that. Still waiting for AMDā€™s response thoughā€¦heh

You would think that. Due to our poor political climate at the moment we donā€™t really seem to be going anywhere.

Hell even our politicians donā€™t know if they are Australian or notā€¦

1 Like

5 Likes

For what itā€™s worth, price change / AMD subsidy for launch day sales, as reported by Kit Giru, with OCUKā€™s Gibbs as source

I saw Gibbs basically already said this on the ocuk forumā€¦

LOL, Hardware Unboxed had a video online about the Vega pricing. Steve basically tried to laugh away any concern by pointing at GPU launches in the past and saying ā€œmining makes it worse now but itā€™s nothing new that prices are inflatedā€.

Guess what! Itā€™s gone now.

What is going on? o0

Why didnā€™t they just say that somewhere somebody fudged up the pricing, whether it was AMD itself or if it was a retailer inflating the price or if it was something else thatā€™s happened.

No need to damage control this.

1 Like

Seems like this is now the way to get some eyes on your twitterā€¦

Unfortunately AMD did not make the launch pricing plan clear at all to the press or the consumer, which has caused a lot of confusion

ā€“ OCUKā€™s Andrew Gibson

Honestly, if this is true and the 399,- / 499,- were placebo prices, then RTG pulled a full fledged Nvidia here. That would be ā€¦ very disappointing.

1 Like

Tek.no has confirmation from komplett.no, komplett is big online retailer here in Scandinavia and was one of the 27 official launch partners worldwide. Just like OCUK they were instructed to only sell a very limited number of GPUs for the lower price and only for launch day (24 hours). Captain Hook special, as somebody said.

8 Likes