The VEGA 56 / 64 Cards Thread! General Discussion

I just got 8.8fps and 369 points in valley - high, 1080p, noAA, on my Lenovo 720s running manjaro KDE and kernel 4.15.0.

… yay. xD

Not that I care, was just for lols.

Pixelart games like hyperlight drifter are running perfectly fine, KDE on openGL runs great, videos up to 4k30 are completely fine, 4k60 is stressing the poor little thing but I think that is more down to the codec than the hardware.

Anyone else here on a 2500U / 2700U laptop? Maybe even on linux?

What about low? I would think that’d be more interesting for performance. Also I wonder if it slows if you put it in a loop for half an hour or so (IE whether the cooling solution is adequate).

I’d like to get a laptop, but too excited about building a tiny 2400G PC. It will be running Linux though, or at least as soon as I can remember how to use it :joy:

Running now.

… it crashed. Rerunning.

That is a thing unfortunately, it crashes a lot and there are PCIe errors all the time. I just told grub to pci=noaer and moved on. Hope that one of the next kernels will fix everything. (yes, I am that lazy.)

Alright, Valley, 1080p, low, noAA - 644 points, 15.4fps.

I suspect that to be unrealistically low and mostly limited to vram, the 720s has no settings to change that from the stock 256MB.

1 Like

If it’s unable to ramp up vram, it’s possible to ask/donate for a modded bios version

https://www.bios-mods.com

That isn’t a complaint actually, I did not buy it for 3D games.

Did i say you complained or wanted to game? no. Could higher vram be used for anything else than gaming? well, most certainly yes.

Be my guest if you prefer 256MB on a vega chip LOL

Use electric clippers to cut away excess asshole hair guaranteed _4f9a8d8f734a8f815c420062440a6c3a

Dude, buy your own laptop and do whatever you want with it. :+1:
I like mine the way it is.

In this day and age. Did you select 2G of shared VRAM ? From some of the reviews it is 512M and others 1G. Gaming wise even 2G is tiny but its a cheap APU. The default for gaming mean set BOIS to 2G vram.

Start reading here:

A real nice few videos by Tech Epiphany on memory speed on the two chips. Getting real close to just splurging on 3200MHz C14 just to get it over with. I do wonder what power draw is, though.

He made some nice videos of the GPU at 1600MHz as well that really make it look like a nice choice for a mini system.

Steve at hardware Unboxed got some reasonable scores on the platform a lot at 720p and some e-sports games at 1080p. For the price $100 APU and no GPU its a easy into low end gaming.
If your a real gamer them mining has fucked you over your not getting a GPU at MSRP. If your a mom or grand parent you can log into overwatch with your kid/grandkid. If you did want too.

Uhm why are you responding to my post? I was talking about my laptop… like the whole time.

The APUs look fine as far as I can tell, pretty good for a momputer.

Its annoying that they have four different models all called 720s or 720S and only one has Vega graphics.

True, but at least it sounds like a pirate edition.
The official name is IdeaPad 720s-13ARR.

ARR!

Using kernel 4.15.3 (testing) (Uploaded in 4k)

What is custom cooling gear worth on second hand market? I have here a potential deal with a Vega 56 inside an all water cooled PC.
Phanteks Evolv temp side panel, all EKWB gear on a 6700K with 16GB of Ballistix Sport. That kind of stuff.
For 1500EUR maybe 1300.

I think I am a little biased cuz of the gpu so i thought i ask here first for some input.

Do they have the stock cooler too? Being able to return it to stock condition is worth something IMO. If they don’t I wouldn’t pay more than MSRP with a block installed as it’s going to limit what can be done with the card.

1 Like

Yes stock cooler included. As far as i know every packaging box is included.

I’d probably take MSRP of the cooling parts and knock 50% off of them to start with and add them to whatever you’d consider the parts to be worth at stock in used condition. Given the current state of pricing on GPU’s and memory, this will probably wind up feeling like the cost of a brand new computer of a year ago, which sort of sucks, but is what it is.

Water cooling parts are always sort of suspect since it’s going to require work to verify that everything is in good condition beyond plugging it in and running it since loops can become contaminated, block fins clogged, etc, and so as far as I’m concerned assembled parts are honestly worth less than singular parts that are more easily inspected.

Take my opinion with some salt though, I am still pretty new to watercooling and haven’t bought a single used loop component myself yet, but this is how I would approach it if I were to do so. I don’t think I’d buy anything beyond fittings without in-person inspection.

What would all the parts cost together new if you were to buy right now?

1 Like

Fuk he just sold the GPU right now. Well if nothing else I know what to look for next time and thanks for the input. Much appreciated.