The used-games market slow dissappearance

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/121/1217257p1.html

So it seems that MS might be integrating some kind of technology into its next Xbox to prevent its users from buying used games. If this is true (and I hope it's not) then the next Xbox is not finding a way to my home. But of course, someone will flash that thing and not only take the security out but also let you play illegal copies of games. And people will so do it out of hate towards this policy.

But I really wanted to talk about how publishers are using Digital Distribution just to eliminate the used games market and nothing else. I like digital distribution and I buy to keep so this wasn't such a big deal to me until recently. I've just been noticing that, little by little, some stupid things like online passes are becoming necessary for no advantage whatsoever to the user. I don't mind it when it's extra perks that are not necessary to enjoy the game. That's actually a nice incentive to buy them new. But when the online portion or some essential part of the game is blocked unless you buy an online pass, that's just BS. Also, from the prices I see on XBL and PSN, it's not like they really compete with hard copies. Why is the digital copy selling for the same price as the hard copy? They save a lot of money on shipping and the profit that stores would normally make. Its not like they really give anyone an incentive to buy stuff through their services. It only shows how greedy these companies are.

I sure hope we never have to see a day of total digital distribution, because that would suck. Not only can you take hard copies everywhere and share but I also feel they have more value when it comes to games that I really appreciate and would like to collect.

So, what are your thoughts about this?

I do not want to see total digital distribution I do really enjoy being able to hold the disk. That and I think of owning a game like owning a book if I want to sell a book I can actually do that. Then theres also the issue if you loose your online pass or some problem all of the money you spent on games is lost. I do also agree with the extra perks with you that those aren't necessary, but the online for most games is. Plus the idea that its costing them money because there's the same exact amount of people on the server.

My first thought after reading this was that this would only make piracy increase, but I then realized that the developers don't make money off of used games anyway; only the retailers do. If there is a day when there is total digital distribution, then that won't necessarily be the end of sharing games. I'm sure someone will figure out how to copy them to a flash drive or something like that. I honestly wouldn't mind total digital distribution as long as the services allowed you to lend games to a friend for a limited amount of time or something like that. There's always gamefly too, which you can rent games from for consoles and the pc. It'd be nice if we could build up a fiber optic infrastructure for ISPs in the US too; that would make downloads a lot faster. Oh, and they would have to also provide unlimited downloads in my opinion.

When it comes down to it, though, I'm starting to wonder if digital distribution by game developers (like EA Origin or I guess even Steam with Valve games) is legal or not. It might actually be considered a vertical monopoly. A vertical monopoly is essentially owning all the means of production and distribution. Hollywood companies like Paramount and Universal used to own theaters until it was determined that they controlled all the means of production and distribution. According to a court ruling, they had to sell off their theaters in order to not be considered a monopoly. If brick and mortar game stores go out of business or if they just stop making physical copies of games, they might actually be in trouble since digital distribution would be the only way to buy a game. Although, in order for it to be considered a monopoly, they would have to sell it exclusively through their own digital distribution service (which would mean that console exclusives would probably be considered a monopoly). If they allowed other digital distribution services to sell their games, however, I don't think it would be considered a monopoly.

Luckily we haven't gotten to that point yet.

well the way its currently set up (on xbox) you get 2 licenses, one for the account or xbox itself, and one to the disc itself, I think, because my friend was playing co-op borderlands on his xbox that owned the game and my other friend was playing it too with only one disc, sure the market for used games might be in danger but letting your friends barrow games is not, at least that way anyway

I think that games on disks will soon die out. So long as you have a fast-ish internet connection, downloading software is so much more convenient in every way. And Vortex, have you seen "Green man gaming"? It's a digital service similar to steam, but they allow you to trade games back in, and get some money for them (even though they're digital copies)

Boov said:

I think that games on disks will soon die out. So long as you have a fast-ish internet connection, downloading software is so much more convenient in every way. And Vortex, have you seen "Green man gaming"? It's a digital service similar to steam, but they allow you to trade games back in, and get some money for them (even though they're digital copies)

Oh wow. I've never heard of it before. That's pretty cool.