The ultimate cable mind f##k

ok so I sold my old monitor to a guy wanting it for an xbox one x.
the monitor is the acer cb280hk. Its a 4k60 monitor via dp 1.2 and 4k30 via hdmi 1.4
so heres the thing. I didn’t see the problem heading my way because I already had the club 3d actove dp to hdmi adaptor cac-1070 in a drawer from when I ran an r9 fury with a 4k tv a few years back.
Heres the thing though. the adaptor only works one way round. its dp to hdmi and theres no signal of any kind when turned around.

So im now thinking about a solution to this problem.
The xbox x has a hdmi 2.0 4k60 output.
The monitor has a dp 1.2 4k60 input.

can I just use a commodity non active cable or adaptor with dp one end and hdmi at the other? is it that simple?
Theres a startech active adaptor I have seen but its insane with a power brick and everything.

Anyone dealt with this before?

Yeah you don’t need an active one unless you’re doing it over a freakishly long distance or going from analog to a digital signal which you are not because dp and HDMI are both digital.

Edit: I was flip-flopped. Read MazeFrame bellow V

I am not sure about that.
For DisplayPort to HDMI, you can go passive. But HDMI to DP I don’t think works passively

Edit:
Active DP→HDMI cable, DP1.2 to HDMI 1.4b (so 4k30)

Edit 2:
With miniDP being so common, I looked at going the “dirty adapter stack” route:

Which, while more expensive, can do 4k60 (probably).

1 Like

The problem that you are going to run into is that all displayport adapters that I know of use the fact that displayport can output HDMI, DVI, and in many cases also VGA natively. This means a passive adapter just moves pins around and gives a different plug, but the DP circuitry handles changing the actual signal to what it needs to be. HDMI and DP signals are completely different and the adapters don’t work on input only output. There are some that I have seen that work for input, but they are far more expensive, like it would be cheaper in many cases to just get a different monitor or TV.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.