The Tek 0227: Finally in the New Office | Tek Syndicate

9 Likes

The internet of things might turn out to be a good idea. Just look at the great succes we had with cars where someone can controll the engine and breaks or this AI that went out to praise Nazis.
WTF?! How can people think about the internet of things when they can not even secure the internet of idiots?!

The IBM brain thing: Great idea! After the succes with basic comunication we had with AIs, just give them controll about world ending weapons! Good job IBM!

1 Like

I have the Model M. It came with the first PC I got as a kid which had some kind of Pentium in it that ran on 200Mh, 32Mb or RAM, 2Gb HDD and 2Mb vram. Somehow I saved the keyboard to this day. It was functional and I don't throw away electronic equipment that works. I just had it stored away for years. Months ago, maybe a year, Wendell couldn't stop talking about it so I Googled it and I saw that it looks just like the keyboard that I used to have, so I decided to dig it up. It still works. I can't use it though. I tried but it's too big for what I'm used to and it's loud. But it does make me feel special to own it.

@Logan @wendell you'll be well aware of my obvious bias, but how come most of the time when talking about windows 10, you bring up systems that try to "clean" the system from stuff Microsoft put in that people don't want instead of asking people "do you actually need Windows?"

Obviously if you need windows these programs can be useful, but shouldn't we suggest alternatives? Microsoft are going full steam with Windows 10, its not going to stop, and eventually people will have to give in or not use windows, so why not ask if people really need it, maybe they can use something else?

1 Like

Good point. You just "took a big step back" and re-evaluated the whole topic. Kudos for that.
When the company I work for decided to plain jump ship (windows to linux in a month) I was not happy. My workflow worked in windows. Setting up a new workflow in a completly different (turns out I was 100% wrong about that one) would take time I did not have at the time.
So I started switching at home. Linux Mint is nice. Took a few days to become my new favourite but it did. Company switched, I switched. DONE! 0 tools required, just some time I had to spend once.
BTW: My workflow constists mostly of watching a computer calculating. With Linux, the before mentioned part reduced by ~6% which might not sound much, but gives me a lot longer lunch breaks.

Merino wool is also recommended for outdoor activities like hiking. It dries quickly, and even when wet keeps most of it's warmth, unlike cotton clothing. If you don't like synthetic fibers like polyester, wool is a great alternative.

1 Like

More than likely it is a joke. I almost fell for it until I checked the date of the article.

I am actually interested in buying a Tesla Model 3. The fact that I don't travel a lot in terms of driving and that I would save more money having an electric car than a gasoline car long-term is already enough reason for me. Obviously I would not pre-order one because:

• Don't have the money yet.
  • Despite Tesla making the outstanding Model S, we don't even know if it will be good or not. I can wait for reviews when it comes out.

Tesla's whole business plan has been to make electric vehicles (EV for short) that are both reasonable and affordable to the mass population. For them to do that, they need to make an EV that not only has great range, but is also affordable for many people. In order to do that, well you can refer to the picture below.

The electric car market current stands like this: There are inexpensive EVs, but they all have terrible range (<90mi / <145km) and there is only one car that has fantastic range, Tesla's own Model S, but you have to pony up >$75,000 and it comes with optional accessories that you might as well buy because they are worth it. With the Model 3 coming at $35,000 and a range of 215mi (346km) at a minimum, Tesla is making an EV that is not only affordable for the masses, but also has range that is more than sufficient for many people and also dwarfs other competitors.

If Tesla delivers on this and succeeds, there will be a future for EVs as many other car companies will follow suit.

Photos come from Wait But Why blogsite. Source in question

The issue, is the average user. What I mean by the average user is that "no-so-technically-savy" user who sits down, browses the web, checks emails, watches youtube and social media content, and then goes on about their business. These individuals typically do not want to install an OS. It's taboo for them really. many of which are still on WinXP-8.1 and even updating their OS with Windows Update is terrifying.

These are the users that only upgrade an OS if they buy a new system, so the "one-click" solution to clean their comfy OS is more suitable for them. I am on the fence, I'm not on Windows but I do agree that you should not be forced to upgrade your OS if you don't want to, so these tools are helpful to maintain the environment you are on. I also see the flip side of a proprietary system with crippling functionality to strong arm an upgrade and agreement to a EULA that was not associated to the OS you installed/purchased years ago.

I predict a couple things will happen in the next year.
1. Windows 7-8.1 will have severe vulnerabilities "just pop-up" to place fear in the user and force an upgrade
2. Windows 3rd party developers will begin to up-charge for added "security" through anti-virus programs to further push users to upgrade
3. Windows will continue to back-port Telemetry and tracking "features" to older version
4. Windows update for non-enterprise or Pro users will cease earlier than expected (2019??)

That should get MS an added 200 million users easily, getting them closer to their 1 billion user base goal... Just my Tinfoil theory

The pragmatic approach I guess...

As for other parts of the Tek:

Allowing the Xbox One to be a development kit is cool as it allows people to play around the system more and make stuff. I'm not opposed to it one bit.

I really just don't like ads although 15 second ones are fine. If I can, I rather just throw a couple of dollars and have an ad-free experience.

Its nice that Netflix offers these original shows and give the content creators creative freedom unlike cable. That being said, I still wish there are more movie choices but I understand the whole issue with licensing and how some companies will not give up their rights whatsoever.

The Cybathlon looks really cool and I would probably watch it. Putting up my calendar right now.

Will have to try Hyper Light Drifter when I ever get the chance. The pixel art looks amazing.

Thanks for that Never 10 news item.

Concerning original content on Netflix etc :

More and more companies have become wise to the fact that people want instant access to their favorite shows.
HBO started their own streaming service.
CBS will have the new Star Trek show be exclusive to their own streaming service.

I think that this is indicative of a larger trend, and that these companies won't renew the license deals with Netflix or Amazon and instead use their shows to promote their own exclusive streaming platform.

Edit: thank mr wendell

LMAO! :D

But unfortunately kinda true, I guess. Also: IoT shouldn't become "the thing"; If it does, we are all screwed - more mass surveillance...

Yey, finally there is someone on this planet listening to me!!! ...unfortunately it's my toaster.

2 Likes

Very enjoyable episode in all really liked it especially the Netflix story.

Keep 'em coming TS, your making my content consumption filled with lots of information.

Awesome, hilarious intro. and so many good laughs from this episode in terms of puns and other things said. It is nice to learn and stay informed while being entertained. The Tek truly is a special show.

Now in regards to what was discussed -

1. I agree that MS should keep the chatbot up and yes use it as a study of how society is/ how we act.
  2. Xbox One being a developer kit for universal Windows applications is awesome as if it gets people being creative while using a console well it is better than what it is being used for now.
  3. Mentioning Linus and his $100 hoodie eh well didn't make me happy as I want to only hear about Tek Syndicate. As for a $150 hoodie from Tek Syndicate it is nice to hear it will last a long time as many products do not anymore but to hear the price to pay for it makes me sick. Die commerce die.
  4. Security for homes in the future yes for quite a long time will be a mess if they do all that was mentioned. It was mentioned that it would be tied to the internet and things would be controlled from there so it will be a hacker's playground.
  5. Making a Murderer = awesome so if Netflix keeps making content like that I will be happy.
  6. In regards to Ryan's Law which will allow you to cancel Comcast online with one click I guarantee you that there will be loads of fine print under the button so make sure you read all that first before you click.
  7. Cybathlon 2016 - While I like them showing what this stuff can do for disabled people I always have to think about the other side of things where technological advancements will also bring terrible things. Guaranteed some of the stuff you see at Cybathlon 2016 will lead to terrible things.
  8. As for Never 10 I use Windows 7 64 bit and while I have been asked a few times to upgrade it hasn't been that often so I am not going to use this.

This fits into their past strategy of EEE (Embrace, Extend and Extinguish). Anyone who cannot see this after reading the below wikipedia article is blind to reality.

Link:

Personally haven't had a single prompt on my Win7 desktop and I have the Windows Update settings set to "Notify me but let me choose when to install".

On my Windows 8 laptop however it was a little naggy but also rather easy to disable in my experience.

Yes, good idea, Wendell. Buy a ThinkPad. I am still using a T420s. A bit old, but better than those curmudgeons who say they will use a T61 until the end of time.