The Tek 0223: Should We Make Super Intelligent Humans? | Tek Syndicate

Support Tek Syndicate creating content for lovers of tech & science
 Support Tek Syndicate | Tek Syndicate
 Zweihänder
 Epic Pants
 UN rights boss warns against precedent in Apple vs. FBI case | Reuters
 Amazon just removed encryption from its tablet devices
 The IRS is using a system that was hacked to protect victims of a hack—and it was just hacked - Quartz
 Driverless cars could use spherical tyres - Car Keys
 US agency reaches 'holy grail' of battery storage sought by Elon Musk and Gates | Environment | The Guardian
 Iowa Is Selling One of the Oldest Government-Owned Fiber Optic Networks | Motherboard
 AT&T Buying Missouri State Law Ensuring Broadband There Continues To Suck | Techdirt
 Comcast accused of violating NBC merger commitment and net neutrality rule | Ars Technica
 Super-Intelligent Humans Are Coming - Issue 34: Adaptation - Nautilus
 Bitcoin’s Nightmare Scenario Has Come to Pass | Re/code
 Oculus Founder: Rift will come to Mac if Apple “ever releases a good computer” | Ars Technica
 Samsung ships the world's highest capacity SSD, with 15TB of storage | Computerworld
 Intel outlines a plan to get back in line with Moore's Law | PCWorld
 AMD wants to standardize the external GPU | Ars Technica
 With artificial ‘octopus skin,’ robots can bend and stretch while changing color - The Washington Post
 This Monkey is Controlling a Wheelchair With its Mind
 Triple entanglement feat adds new twist to quantum cryptography
 Lasers Could Steer Asteroids Away From Earth
 id Software Wants You To Choose The DOOM Cover Art

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://teksyndicate.com/videos/tek-0223-should-we-make-super-intelligent-humans
8 Likes

How did you embed the vessel link in the post?

Yes please Wendell. I am very much interested in a Rant 30 on encryption.

14 Likes

Big yes for the next Rant 30 on encryption !
Have you ever been to Defcon, @wendell ? It's an event I'd really like to attend in the near future.

Cheers

6 Likes

On the super intelligence issue. I wanted to present this survey on the matter:

http://people.virginia.edu/~ent3c/papers2/nisbett2012int.pdf

The survey suggests that the environmental and social influence is much more important in increased IQ than the genetics. Although it is pretty obvious that genetics play a role (there are probably thousands of genes that are connected) currently science seems to have more concrete evidence of the environmental factor than the genetic. This suggest that if you want to create super intelligent humans manipulating genetics will not really do as much as social engineering can.

And on the comment that @Logan made on the more intelligent humans understanding that race is irrelevant. Usually this works the other way. People seeing themselves as by default (genetically) superior. The first nation or race that manages that will immediately see themselves as superior and begin discriminate against others. Intelligence does not mean wisdom by default.

1 Like
<iframe src="https://www.vessel.com/embed/HvywSgEa9?w=480&h=270" width="720" height="480" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" seamless="seamless" allowfullscreen="allowfullscreen"></iframe>

Id like to see a show on encryption. Not sure if it's a rand 30 topic but there is a lot of information people should know.

2 Likes

Mmm new TEK. Going to watch this later today . . . after the TIMBERS SEASON OPENER!!!!

HYPE!!!

tire is also iRobot :P

I would absolutely enjoy a rant:30 about encryption! :)

3 Likes

After this news from AMD im definitely getting AMD build. This approach is something what industry needs. Freesync? standadr, 64 bit instruction sets in Intel CPUs? AMDs and is standard, Mantle even tho seems to be nonexistent from viewpoint of someone who doesnt own AMD hardware i think had a role in industry in general getting behind Vulkan, and open source drivers - i hope they get better and better, and as time passes a standard thing.

1 Like

In the topic of processors, PC's and what the unwashed masses need.

I firmly believe Apple and Microsoft are gearing up and moving OS's towards this walled garden because in a few phone generations there will be no laptop / Desktop for mainstream use only a phone that runs there wall garden OS where Apple / Microsoft take care of updates, Virus's and malware and suck all the data and history of users for profit. The unwashed masses will find it easy and convenient and all they will need is a display, mouse, keyboard and or touch screen to use their OS as a "desktop experience" which will be the phone that is always in there pocket.

With storage going up all the time (look at Samsungs 15TB SSD) and the cloud people will have all the processing and graphic power they need in a phone.

As a gamer I will alway want the higher end gaming. However when a phone can drive a HTC Vive in 10 years what's the point of a Desktop gaming rig.

Fingers crossed Linux gaming becomes a thing so we tech heads can keep control of our OS's.

1 Like

@Marten be the change you want to see!
Migrate to Linux, and contribute to it's future glory, that's what I have planned, even if my gaming experience might suffer a bit in terms of the variety of games I can play, (I don't play AAA titles, so, not too big of a problem) I believe my overall experience will be absolutely awesome!

1 Like

Haahaaa, the first 3-way quantum entaglement. Reminds me of this:

2 Likes

In the future the color changing camouflage robots will be used to issue jaywalking tickets to unsuspecting pedestrians.

1 Like

Oh awesome, you never mentioned. UK Amazon stock is back!

What I don't like about external GPUs for laptops is that the GPU doesn't use the the laptop's monitor.

So, in addition to the laptop, charger, mouse and external GPU, I also have to carry around an external monitor and keyboard.

Maybe that's what AMD is trying to solve.

@wendell Rant on anything. Oppinions are good places to get ideas.

Truly the best quote I have heard in a long time!!! Wendell "I cant hear you over the sound of how awesome this keyboard is" ! I just love it!!!!! NEED SHIRTS MADE WITH THIS!!! I'm still laughing! You don't know how many people have complained about my keyboard at LAN parties!! I'm talking back in the day before mec keyboards where all over the place!

2 Likes

@wendell Rant 30 on encryption Would be great!!.

i think secondary external GPUS are a good idea. more so for guys who game and do CAD you could have your Gforce GPU internal to your laptop and a quadro at your workstation and you can switch over to which ever depending on your needs.