The Tek 0207: TORible News

This week: more TOR news, TigerDirect sells, the war on encryption, Nvidia's new GPU with HBM 2, and some shenanigans.

Audio formats:

Meta: 

NOTES:
 #234da7; vertical-align: middle; padding-left: 10px; padding-right: 12px;">TigerDirect Sold To PCM | Twice
 #234da7; vertical-align: middle; padding-left: 10px; padding-right: 12px;">Carnegie Mellon Denies FBI Paid for Tor-Breaking Research | WIRED
 #234da7; vertical-align: middle; padding-left: 10px; padding-right: 12px;">Tor is getting a major security upgrade | ExtremeTech
 #234da7; vertical-align: middle; padding-left: 10px; padding-right: 12px;">Times Pulls Article Blaming Encryption in Paris Terror Attack
 #234da7; vertical-align: middle; padding-left: 10px; padding-right: 12px;">Intelligence agencies pounce on Paris attacks to pursue spy agenda | Trevor Timm | Comment is free | The Guardian
 #234da7; vertical-align: middle; padding-left: 10px; padding-right: 12px;">After Endless Demonization Of Encryption, Police Find Paris Attackers Coordinated Via Unencrypted SMS - Community / News - teksyndicate.com forums
 #234da7; vertical-align: middle; padding-left: 10px; padding-right: 12px;">U.S. Mass Surveillance Has No Record of Thwarting Large Terror Attacks, Regardless of Snowden Leaks
 #234da7; vertical-align: middle; padding-left: 10px; padding-right: 12px;">Edward Snowden: Everyone should be using ad-block software
 #234da7; vertical-align: middle; padding-left: 10px; padding-right: 12px;">Soylent's Real Plan: Replace Food With Algae | Motherboard
 #234da7; vertical-align: middle; padding-left: 10px; padding-right: 12px;">Quantum Computers One Step Closer After Australian Breakthrough | IFLScience
 #234da7; vertical-align: middle; padding-left: 10px; padding-right: 12px;">GoFundMe Gone Wild - The New York Times
 #234da7; vertical-align: middle; padding-left: 10px; padding-right: 12px;">New technology removes snow, dust and mist from videos - CNET
 #234da7; vertical-align: middle; padding-left: 10px; padding-right: 12px;">5 top secret patents Apple has recently filed
 #234da7; vertical-align: middle; padding-left: 10px; padding-right: 12px;">Anonymous Takes Down 5,500 ISIS Accounts – 24 Hours After ISIS Called them “Idiots” | The Mind Unleashed
 #234da7; vertical-align: middle; padding-left: 10px; padding-right: 12px;">Google Play will start labeling ad-supported apps
 #234da7; vertical-align: middle; padding-left: 10px; padding-right: 12px;">Nvidia unveils Pascal specifics — up to 16GB of VRAM, 1TB of bandwidth | ExtremeTech
 #234da7; vertical-align: middle; padding-left: 10px; padding-right: 12px;">NASA, Russia working together again on a mission to explore Venus | Ars Technica
 #234da7; vertical-align: middle; padding-left: 10px; padding-right: 12px;">Attempt no landing there? Yeah right—we’re going to Europa | Ars Technica
 #234da7; vertical-align: middle; padding-left: 10px; padding-right: 12px;">Nao Robots Pass Significant Test of Artificial Intelligence |
 #234da7; vertical-align: middle; padding-left: 10px; padding-right: 12px;">Antibiotic resistance: World on cusp of 'post-antibiotic era' - BBC News
 #234da7; vertical-align: middle; padding-left: 10px; padding-right: 12px;">Congress Says Yes to Space Mining, No to Rocket Regulations | WIRED
 #234da7; vertical-align: middle; padding-left: 10px; padding-right: 12px;">This Microsoft Kinect-powered physical therapy app now has the FDA's approval | GamesBeat | Games | by Ken Yeung
 #234da7; vertical-align: middle; padding-left: 10px; padding-right: 12px;">Bosch Bonirob robot set to make field work easier for farmers - Farmers Weekly
 #234da7; vertical-align: middle; padding-left: 10px; padding-right: 12px;">Now you can play Dungeons & Dragons — the real kind — with virtual reality | ExtremeTech

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://teksyndicate.com/videos/tek-0207-torible-news

I love the 'cat meowing' descriptive lol.

1 Like

@Logan, @wendell, @DeusQain, good episode guys.

I have a suggestion. If you guys talk about the government's efforts to back door encryption again, you should mention the crypto wars of the 90s, and how they led to the FREAK and logjam attacks in our modern age. The government taking action against encryption leading to insecurity for citizens isn't just a theory, it's actually happened.

No one in the media talks about this, so it's up to organizations like the tek to help spread information about this.

Keep up the great work.

1 Like

I thought we did mention this.

Hmmm... gives me an idea.

1 Like

sorry, have to

4 Likes

The Tek crew has become the perfect trifecta with Qain joining the show.

I think there might have been a brief mention of one of the attacks in an episode, but I don't think it was directly linked to the efforts the government took against encryption.

People need to understand the direct link between the government banning strong cryptography, and it causing security vulnerabilities.

Definitely agree. Love seeing Qain back on the show.

3 Likes

VPNs are much easier to exploit than Tor. So i don't understand the hate.

@Alamar, your skills are needed to make a better version.

5 Likes

LOL
Need audio like WE ARE ON DEFCOM 5!

At 9:18 in the video I got an idea. I wanna embody the persona of people saying crazy shit, God done did it, Apple isn't horrible, NSA spying works or is a good idea, ISIS is a real threat to America, Beats headphones are good purchases, all while sipping on a pumkin spice latte with a beanie, scarf and thick rim glasses and just have logan come in and slap me with a fish.

Was wondering why TD was gone from ca.pcpartpicker.com

1 Like

The Tek written in bullets on the wall in counter strike. Id buy that

should of had "We are also now an authorised apple retailer!"

On the NYTimes thing, the Editorial board actually came out with a pretty strong statement against fearmongering about encryption and against mass survelliance
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/18/opinion/mass-surveillance-isnt-the-answer-to-fighting-terrorism.html

I think the article that got pulled was a screw up by reporter, no tin foil hat needed.

Meat - artificial the 326k one, now down to $11.36.

About Snowden suggesting AdBlocks:
He refers to javascript/Flash elements served by ad companies, just using a script-blocking software is even better than just blocking ads because if you get forwarded to a dodgy unknown site referred to by scam eMails the ad-blocking software is probably not gonna block the malicious scripts because that site is not on its filter list, whereas script-blocking extensions just block scripts on every site you visit and let you manually whitelist scripts you think are not harmful. The only downside to this kind of script-blockers is, you have to manually "train" them first.
Personally I'd recommend uMatrix, which also blocks Cookies if you don't whitelist them for a website.

"That's how cats do things." - Logan

6 Likes