The Tek 0205: Comcast Hates You And Thinks You are Ugly | Tek Syndicate

Hey @Logan if Tek Syndicate is working on an Unreal Engine game, I'd like to see an official forum thread on it (no hurry).

Even in the thread is "we can't tell you anything about the game", there should still be an official sticky one.

You should probably write what elements will the game have (instead of "we need art for a tree"). For instance, if you're trying anything procedural, I'd love to give you some free consulting (my msc thesis was in pcg).

1 Like

What about a bank card?

My answer to Microsoft: Tinywall.

I Agree with Eden on the matter of surveillance and so forth.
A real smart criminal finds a solution to every problem that is presented.
Basically a cat & mouse game. Draw a line to the weapons industrie;
First you had anti tank missiles that could penetrate you basic armoured vehicle.
Then we had armour that could withstand such missiles. Then people invented reactive armour. And anti tank missiles where needed to combat those and so on..

Technologie or LIFE is no diffrent..
The real question that is not being asked is simple realy.

Do the means justify the ends ??

When chit hits the fan do we apply the same principles and honesty we value to others?
And if not does that make us any better then the people we are supposedly trying to fight?

A different way to look at it is perhaps from a history perspective.
Look at Berlin and what the government was doing. And the stories about the Stasi prisons.

As an outsider we would look at such a world and react in a way that fits that moment of live.. Perhaps say something like ā€œThat government lost it there nutsā€

Translate that way of government to the present.
The government of east Germany did not have the level of technologie we today have.
And people were not handing over tools to there government that made it as easy and tempting to spy on them.

You may think ā€œWell thatā€™s East Germanyā€ different government different times..
But in fact itā€™s more like same beast different tools.

It al comes down to FEAR the ultimate aphrodisiac of control and manipulation of the masses..
So in the name of safety security and protection the government is building a technologie wall that reaches even higher than the wall of the old East Germany..

On a different note about the contractors and subcontractors. The whole systems is basically setup to promote quantity over quality.
And reward people for working as fast as possible as cheap as possible. And if someone delivers work that is subpar but cheaper and faster that than becomes the standerd of which all following jobs are measured.

Even so called profit driven companies do this.
As an it guy i worked at big three letter companies and saw the same behaviour there. Project leaders got rewarded for completing a project before the deadline and saving the company money. But the final product needed a whole lot of work that was thrown over the wall to a different department and added cost did not show up in the projects final evaluation.

I remember being fed up with this behaviour that i suggested adding a database entry to document all the extra hours spend moping up behind a project. For instance how many hours does department X spend on calles directly related to a finished project.
And asking people to honestly document the hours they spend on a problem and the reason for it..

Well they did not agree with that, as you might have expected.. I mean why would we want or need that ?? hahahaha..

About the government not having the apabilities to do lots of the work internally well the reason is simple.
We here in Netherlands EU have the same problem..The government hires so called consultants and contractors and so on to do the work.
The amounts of money waisted on that is obscene. The major reason why they donā€™t have the internal man power is that they donā€™t want to pay it guys a decent salary. Unlike the suits that get top salary inside the government IT people are in my opinion seen like a necessary evil or something that can bought for as low as possible like hiring a painter or a welder..They want to classify it as manual cheap labor..

Well good luck with that..hahahahaha..As an old Unix admin and now Linux student i have to invest in my skills everyday.
Train for certification and so forth..So if they think thatā€™s worth as little as possible well good luck getting good people overthere..
Perhaps try india hahahah.. Not to say people in India donā€™t know what they are doing..Sum of them are good and sum are not..
But if you are doing internal classified government work it should be done by your people working on site and people you know..

About the Store..

How about giving us sum nice keyboard options ??
A couple of rare keyboard not available in the EU would be nice..Perhaps a TKL board or sum Leopold Topre love from Korea..
Or a Poker3 Tek Syndicate version ahhahaa..how cool would that be..
There is even a OpenSource keyboard project, has bin for a long time..They are even coming out with a third model..
But thatā€™s a different story

ahh well iā€™m ranting..

Have any of you guys ever watched the documentary called ā€œThe Money Mastersā€
i saw this a couple of years ago..Relay liked it..
Be aware itā€™s 3hours long ahhahah.. it will change your life..
Why do i look at it? i mean iā€™m basically european write?
Well i belive the US is and has bin a model the world is going to be like if we donā€™t as a people care more about each other and
freedom, vs a new gadget or something else.

This is a playlist i havent seen yet but sounds good.. hahahha

Love the show guys, keep up the great work..
like that you want to promote good projects..When i can afford it i will certainly donate more..
i donā€™t use Patreon why would i want i third party between me and the guys i trust..hahaha No middle man for me..
but he that was my opinion at the moment when i had to give my creditcard number ahhaha..
i respect people using Patreon, perhaps one day i will to..

As you know here in EU they are passing a law that lets providers monitor packets.
And let them do the same things they are doing in the US.. Basically F..ing us hard..

If i pay for fast internet that means i will be using it..No sense in buying something that i won't be using.. If you as a company can't provide this fast internet and need caps to keep a float..
Than i need a different provider / source that can handle the job we as a people want/need.
Get out of the kitchen if you can't stand the heat..

I really really hate it when a provider starts wanting to snoop on my packets.
And sas "if you will be doing something inside a VPN or encrypted than i'm going to cap that data"
What the F.. are you talking about.. !!! it's the bandwidth i'm paying for if i want to connect to my parents and have a life 24/7 4k cam stream my old bedroom because i'm feeling home sick hahah that's my prerogative !!

Prices have gone up here in the Netherlands we used to pay far less for TV/Phone/Internet.
Now the cheapest cable subscription is around $46.. Do remember that wages are way lower here.
Your average yo makes something between $1200 to $1500 a month and can go up to
something between $2000 / $3500 ..But then your doing really well..
Of course we have the crazy top level management people the money grabbers they go up in salary from $3500 to like nuts levels $5000 $10.000 Really nuts..

Here a pic from the cable company. For the max connection with cable TV and phone usage
you pay around $75 to $80 or $90 max.. With all the connection you could want..
Let's hope they don't look to much at the ridiculous prices you have over there ..Dear god..
That's way way to much..
Don't understand how one could afford that ..And why should you be paying so much for something that doesn't cost that much to provide / service / build or make..
That's stealing not selling !!

I think the mysterious electric car maker is Apple.

Great Show guys loved it..kept me from studying hahaha . But he it's weekend so need sum TEK !! Best pick me up ..JUST one problem ..once i'm done watching i have to go back to waiting for the next TEK ....hahaha..Ah well all good things in life are worth waiting for..

Looking at the PDX lan http://www.pdxlan.net/home/
Looks nice..that's what we are missing here in the EU...

@Logan definitely great sponsors of the event..
Just ask how it's going with Linux support..
ASUS needs to look at there software and how it runs on Ubuntu+fedora that's all. ;-)

i want my next build to e a triple boot awesome powerhouse air-cooled Fractal silent monster with noctua fans.. And sum of those REAL 8 cores to run sum VM goodness on Centos.
And Fedora to do all my relaxation on..And sum steam for sum fun..
Nice read;

ahh wel no Lan party for us here in the EU..
Thank god for the TEK.. relaxing behind the computer..time for a nice cold drink..
@Wendell looking nice there on my tablet..hahaha.. ..how about a nice tech vid on the new Fedora.. Give us your take on it.. ;-)
Take care guys..

@Logan have fun you lucky ... which i was going to ..ahhaha..

1 Like

Not threw with the video but wanted to stop and thank you for the history lesson, two thumbs up!

Your welcome..Think i will look at it once again..Long time ago ..Great documentary..

Just returning the favour ..Couple of weeks ago user @biolinguist introduced me to
"Noam Chomsky"

https://forum.teksyndicate.com/t/the-tek-0202-beware-the-dyson-spear-tek-syndicate/89561

Also nice to watch a couple of his talks... Like Wendell Like to say "Mind blown" ahhaha
Give me a good feeling knowing there are people out there questioning the status quo..

Take care all..

True that residential bandwidth is not commercial bandwidth and there are a lot of differences. All though the source of the ddos bandwidth is typically from residential, and not commercial connections in the first place.

Costs of commercial bandwidth do vary wildly. In some places 200gbps of bandwidth would cost more than $50k/mo but the pricing numbers I have from Telia and GTT is quite a bit less than that per 40 gig port. If you can separate infrastructure costs from the raw bandwidth costs, sure. Hilariously, if you need to buy that much bandwidth they typically ask you to sign non-disclosure agreements. The bandwidth is worth what someone is willing to pay.

1gbps in the datacenter costs ~$100/mo-$250/mo in this day and age, for the pricing that I have. It gets a lot cheaper per gigabit if you are buying a lot, though, like 40 gig ports. These 1 gig ports might possibly be oversold at the low end, but no one has ever complained that we have some links averaging 580+ megabits prettymuch all the time last time I checked. Is that in the 200tb range?

What is your pricing data from? I agree that commercial bandwidth is more expensive, especially commercial bandwidth not in a datacenter setting, where most of the cost goes to maintaining the cabling for the link, and not the actual amount of bandwidth used. Bandwidth itself, especially in a datacenter, is extremely cheap.

At least for ddos that doesn't spoof the source IP, I am surprised that no one has come up with a clever work around like the recipient sending back a special type of quench packet which would act as a signal to routers along the return path to drop traffic there.

A small number of packets could be sent even in the face of massinge ddos attacks and it would solve the problem at their respective sources. Of course if the source IPs are spoofed.. well.. we have other problems lol.

We can do PayPal and btc if you email us.

@Logan

I dunno if this is the right place but I make music that could totally work for video games (in regards to wanting assets).

It's all under the creative commons on sound cloud, but I also have a bunch of unfinished projects that could be of potential interest so let me know if you're interested in more and I can send those your way as well.

My sound cloud is http://Soundcloud.com/groovemastaputz

Check out angel's arp, elevator sex, beautiful phrases, pulsations, and really anything else on the page. Just be aware that some songs use samples that are copyrighted, so if you're worried about that run by me which songs you like and I can tell you if they're "clean". The ones I mentioned are good though.

Also I can do a Spanish translation (I'm a Spanish Ed major with lots of practice using Spanish both professionally and casually), but that might be something I want money for depending on my financial situation, available free time, and workload involved as far as how much content there is to translate.

I concur Sr (with all but the man crush part hehehe), would seem they are the modern day/ real life Tim Allen and Al Borland :-D

Windel transparent aluminum exists! http://www.treehugger.com/sustainable-product-design/transparent-aluminum-its-real.html#14470343516491&action=collapse_widget&id=0&data=

http://www.nrl.navy.mil/media/news-releases/2015/transparent-armor-from-nrl-spinel-could-also-ruggedize-your-smart-phone
this is the Navy press release ^

It's magnesium Aluminate

With regards to Quake 1 with updated graphics one of the open source engine updates is called DarkPlaces. It's also the engine used by Xonotic as I recall.

I kind of like the fast scrolling of the entire page. I can pause and read the whole article if I want without looking the site up in another page. I often do this on the science news.

After watching Logan struggle I felt bad, @Logan be yourself and the rest of us will learn to deal with things

Did they ever do like an official announcement of the game? I mentioned they'd be using Unreal in WASD, with no mention of what, and here they explain that they're doing a game, but was there ever a dedicated like "Hey, we're making a game!"?

bring back the study!!! i'll sip a B&B and read some reference manuals on that one. okay, some hermen hesse or jean-paul sartre.

The Aussie ISP scape is slowly becoming like the US although it has never been perfect a lot of the "smaller" ISPs were bought out so there is basically just three big players now. This will not help price gouging at all.
Finding a company that has good service and good value is very hard to find especially if you want something better than 10mbps.