The Tek 0204: Logan's Favorite Episode of the Year | Tek Syndicate

I bought both previous albums but this time i don't have money for it -.-

Funny that wendell is talking about those 5.25inch HDD´s.
The first computer we had at home exaly had such a Quantum Bigfoot 1.2GB ide drive.

I don't get why GabeN is terrified about the Windows Store.

Modern apps are sandboxed, and because of that they have some very important limitations.

The only way to change the game's code is by updating the app from the store. That means that expansions and DLCs can't change the game's code, they can only change the game's data, unless they're implemented as free updates.

Also, mods have the exact same problem as expansions and DLCs and they only work if the developer explicitly enables mods. You can't just mod anything.

Certain DRM that requires drivers or a system process, like SecuROM, might not even work on modern apps. Or if it does work, you have to download an installer and install it separately, you can have it install automatically like on Steam.

Of course, people can try to make hacks that disable the sandbox, but game developers will never make an expansion or DLC that only works if Windows is hacked.

Also, as far as I can tell, the only way to change a modern app's resolution is by changing the desktop resolution.

Personally I think that Steam and the Windows Store can coexist without problems, because I think that the Windows Store is designed to bring mobile games and apps to the desktop, not to compete with Steam

So. Fast internet AND forest? Easy. Just move to Estonia!

1 Like

dat duble base on the 1st track of HĂśllental, haven't had the chance to listen to the whole album quite yet but so far seems a bit more aggressive than your earlier stuff, Logan. Good stuff!
I've been meaning to bring this up but there is a pretty crazy chiptune artist in Finland called Huoratron (Whoretron), you might want to look up some stuff he makes. Some people think it's ridiculously but having been in the front row of a Huoratron and a Lamb of God gig I have to say that metal is for pussies compared to this stuff.

Terrorists and pedophiles...
1.Terrorists: There are two kinds of terrorists, domestic and foreign.
- Domestic terrorists happen when you piss all over the privacy of people, crap up the economy with useless wars, and piss all over the education system in regards to the systems beneath University/College level [as it doesn't matter how good your higher education institutions are ranked/reputed if the material going through them in the first place can't be properly refined because it is of piss poor quality]. Lo and behold, the solution against terrorism breeds a different kind of "terrorist".
- As far as foreign terrorism goes, if a certain country didn't make such a piss poor job of foreign politics in the first place, there wouldn't be terrorism in the first place. Refer to
https://forum.teksyndicate.com/t/petition-to-pardon-edward-snowden-has-gotten-a-response/84819/10?u=milkshakebarrage
The solution is cutting terrorism at the source by not giving it the reason to exist in the first place.
But then again, it is obvious that they are intentionally feeding terrorism in order to leverage and justify castrating privacy and controlling the people at the most intimate personal private level even. Obvious because they either have to be politically stupid as hell for all these mistakes, or intentionally doing it, or both i guess.

2.Pedophiles: Pedophiles can't be fought and stopped by policing the Internet and spying on people like an idiot no less than you can stop scammers, cartels, and kidnappers from using the Internet to harm random people irrespective of age and other physical or mental traits.
However, unlike your common criminals, there is a solution to reduce pedophile danger to actual children. Pedophilia is a fetish so to speak, and fetishes are something that can be controlled, or at least diverted/focused, into a less risky form.
The 2 ways of dealing with this are:
- Getting children educated in basic common sense [which brings us back to the education argument before, as education sucks ass even at elementary level]. Which is not being done properly, especially for Internet education.
- Creating a rehab program that doesn't attempt to wholly fix pedophiles like the idiocy with fixing the gay in gay people, but rather teaching them to redirect that, control it, or at least mitigate it into some other form like 2D shit [as Jap lolicon is weirdly known to accomplish this].
However, the problem with this is that pedophiles are less likely to willingly go into such programs because some idiots have created an aggressive as hell labeling system that makes them fear outing themselves, and as far as i know there is no anonymous rehab system [correct me if i'm wrong] for those who willingly want to control themselves. There is even such a high chance that some idiots would make fake programs in order to playact "To Catch a Predator".
So there is a catch 22 here.
Of course, one can discern from this that using pedophiles as a boogeyman emotional appeal, like David Dumbshit Cameroon does, actually deters from a functional solution to regulating pedophilia.

All in all, there are these 2 arguments to be made against this justification idiocy. That's my 2 cents at least.

==========================

As far as the mousepad goes.
Nikola Tesla mouspad please, but with a catch: It has to be able to be plugged via USB to the computer, and the surface should conduct electricity so i can get buzzed constantly as i work and the hairs on my hand can dance. Tesla would be proud of this.

Hydrogen is the most abundant element in the universe. I would buy hydrogen car over electric one any time.

1 Like

@Logan Very interesting thought on the tipping culture leading to corruption as a part of society; is there a study on this? Where did you pick up this idea? I think it is not related to "doing tricks for tips" instead of just doing a good job; I think it has to do with the consumer side. People expect better service in exchange of money; like if you could go anywhere and slam a thousand bucks on the table and expect the waitress to treat you like a king. In Finland even something as paying more to go off the menu is very unexpected and just does not really even happen, at all. No tipping here though.

@wendell the technology for "holographic" desktop exists. It was demonstrated a while ago, surprised nobody linked to it here.

I think a modern smartphone could track your eyes as a form of head tracking aaaand it's done. If not with a camera, there was a company at one of the expos you guys attended this year, that had an eye tracking laptop. Using that technology should be enough to build a 3d desktop for a smartphone device with accurate positioning.

2 Likes

Oh wow, cool stuff man!...

Norton not knowing something?
"hey we think we found thins thing on your computer....but we are not really sure
we are just going to go ahead and erase your OS"

Logan, look into moving to especially Estonia, also Fennoscandia(excluding Norway). Finland and Sweden has some places that are literally in forest with fiber due to local ISPs. Estonia would be the cheapest place to live in of these and has the lowest taxation. Finnish and Estonian are both kind of hard languages, Swedish is pretty close to English.

sigh... oh my fellow British public, how you've voted our freedom away.

Hi, (my first post on here!)
I believe the answer may lie in positive reinforcement

Paying someone for giving you good treatment means if you pay them more you get more good treatment, low and behold, pay the waitress enough and the other customers will suffer to the point where their meals are taking more than twice as long to be delivered.
The waitress (or waiter, poor guy, he'll make about 25% less) will then look for customers who are likely to tip more.... "tipping the system in favour of a single person".
Sounds a lot like the income system and political system combined (jk lol)

This happened at a restaraunt last week. I dropped a few coins in the tip jar because the burger was amazing, then ordered a really amazing milkshake. The guy chucked in a little of some fancy liquer for me because I tipped. That cost his boss more money, and cost the business a tiny bit in efficiency. It also meant he was more vigilant of me and took a moment to notice the people entering the place.
He didn't know any better, I try hard not to do the same at my work.

RE ZWEIHANDER (unrelated to the person I'm replying to)
Interesting use of melodic and semi progressive in the tones! What surprised me was the sound stage made on a $2 pair of earphones, my ATH-M50 cables aren't here so I used the cheap earbuds - but the sound is definitely distinct.
I'd really like a song that I can play into the phone that would allow me to access higher level systems through the phone lines
Musical phone phreaking if you will. Nope, that's now the name of my next album... phone phreaking... lol.
Well... that depends if I can find my copy of flstudio.
ANYWAY NICE ALBUM, THUMBS UP HEADS DOWN BUMBS UP BACK TO WORK NICE JOB LOGAN.

We would have Fusion today if corps would invest as much money into it as they do into gimmicky smartphones. Fossil fuel giants like Exxon Mobil, BP and Gazprom are probably doing what they can to stop Fusion from happening.

@Logan Took a look at /r/WindowsMasterRace/ and it seems like pure hyperbole to me, I couldn't help but laugh at how ridiculous the posts on that page are. I can understand why something like that is worrying because of the fragmentation into warring factions. The PC ecosystem should definitely be a cohesive and cooperative culture. After all we are all gamers and like you said operating system shouldn't matter, its the games that matter most.

What happens if you give a tip to waitress in Finland? I know it's impolite in Japan but totally cool in my country.

Thanks for posting that, I just went there and those post are hilarious.

I suppose the waitress would accept it without making a fuss; it's not considered impolite here, just out of the norm. I for one was very surprised during a visit to Sweden that they prompt the tip screen before the pin code screen on the card reader in average restaurants. I've never been to a restaurant in Finland where they have that. Minimum wages in both countries are high enough for a waitress to make a living without a need for additional tips.