The Tek 0199: Jeb Bush is a Dumbass | Tek Syndicate

Until we can figure out how to have shields like in Star Trek for your ships and any colonies on mars or the moon it doesn't look too promising for would be space tourists.

Woo pushing more nVidia crapware! Nice. An overclocking event based around one singular VERY expensive card running LN2. Wow. Just wow.
Just a quick question, does ANYONE here have the tools do so this readily? Is anyone throwing their hat in this ring? Leave it here: http://strawpoll.me/5590259

Anyway enough of that

That is cool that they are making Internet an essential feature of life. But I agree they are very wishy washy about various other facets.

I have zero complaints about the patreon, I used to Tek Support but I am broke currently. Good luck, genuinely. Once I can help out again I will, but sorting out my own finances is more important. The grand scheme ideas are really cool though.
Un-named chair company... heh. Something something DX... 12.
And woohoo, I bought some shirts. Go me. Been looking forward to that "yard sale" for a long time, eventually.

That VW stuff has some potentially interesting outcomes for Europe. I am simultaneously looking forward to and fearing the outcome of this over here due to the taxation methods over here which are based on emission and a few other things.
The thing is for all the EV talk, alcohol run cars should have been a thing long before even gas/petrol/diesel and indeed were. There is another documentary along with "Who Killed The Electric Car" just named "Pump" all about the alcohol fuel thing. Very interesting.

Funny I have heard that bottle of whiskey in the bottom drawer thing form a games coder too who had to all night for a few days to rush a patch out for verification.

There was a guy who had some level of the iOS kernel running on some old Nokia. Don't think it went anywhere though. http://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/11/24/developer-ios-core-nokia-n900/ this is it.

I thought patents only covered the implementation of the idea and not the idea, oh naive me. So this should not technically be a problem from a legally challengeable point of view.

As much as people are freaking out about Lenovo, I am 95% sure this is a thing for the majority of laptops and we just have not found it yet. This will get worse.

A new Asus Z170 board comes with the U.2 port on the motherboard next to the Sata ports. Just for what that is worth. no adapter needed.

Whoa a Powerman5000 reference. Damn, old school new metal.

There is also the theory that the Earth is on colossal several thousand year cycle that wavers between global heating and cooling. While we are contributing for sure, that theory off sets this massively. Just a thing, don't currently want to look into it.

A rat will also consume cocaine over water, food, sleep, sex and life itself. A rat is not a useful analogue, only a useful research tool. The jump to human is huge. But the research into nerve regeneration is very cool.

A franchised hospital... Super american.

I would go to Mars, yup I am crazy and broke and want off this planet. Seriously, nuts to this shithole. It gets worse every day, imagine being on a planet were everything is new and always getting better because IT HAS TO! That is cool and exactly why I want to go. Funnily my family had this talk while watching a documentary about sending people to Mars in the future. Every one but my mum and my little brother was all for it even my dad

The courier tablet was amazing as an idea. Damn it.

That Enterprise tour annoyed me. The computer voice is wrong, and it is lonely. Otherwise it is incredible!

"I suppose could part with one and still be feared." This makes me laugh as I know Logan does not know where this is from. These pop-culture TV quotes the Wendell throws out always make Logan laugh an uneasy laugh which makes me laugh as usually I do know where they are from.

you heard it hear minors of the world, logan will buy you beer.

2 Likes

I'd like to help you guys out. My question is, what is the best for you, Tek Support or Patreon? I'd assume Tek Support since it is more direct, but I'd like to know which has the lower overhead, so I can help as much as I can. This includes the cost of any goodies you offer through the Patreon project.

I'd like to say that the T-shirts you guys sell are honestly the best. I have had so many people comment on how awesome they look and asking where I got them. Plus they are super comfy and have some sick in jokes for those who know. The only problem is being in Australia, the shipping and price is somewhat expensive (our dollar is terrible at the moment, and could get worse.) But there isn't anything you guys can do about that :(

Hello Logan, or whoever, just wondering is the $10 Patron thing also include the previous rewards? or just the members access thingo?

I don't get the "if we stop using fossil fuels, people will die" approach on the "International Conference on Climate Change". I googled those conferences, Wikipedia does mention heartland institute for organizing the conferences(which seems to be quite an evil organization), though when I looked at their website( http://climateconference.heartland.org/iccc10-sponsors/ ) I see other sponsors, which look a bit mmm.... shady cruel oil baron sponsored organizations.

Windmills and sunbeams won’t keep the lights on

Is it possible to make an adblock that downloads all the ads, but doesn't display them, tricking the server into thinking that all the ads are displayed ? If it's not possible on current browsers, someone should make a browser for this.

Of course that won't stop the tracking, but it would be less annoying.

I purchased the Nitheren album and a T-shirt off of the website, to support the cause. It is what I can currently do, since I work a humble job in retail while finishing up my degree.

I agree, Jeb is an idiot. There's no way he can win. I kinda like Ben Carson though....

In regards to floating cities: They would be totally tsunami proof as long as they're not directly on the shore. A tsunami wave out on the ocean is maybe 50cm higher than the rest of the ocean, it is just absolutely massive in terms of its width and the overall masses of water. The wave only piles up and starts to get extremely tall once it hits the shore. Boats out in the ocean mostly don't even realize that a tsunami passed by them until they return to port and see the damage. IIRC tsunami even means "harbour wave" in japanese (nami is definitely wave, I'm not sure about the rest) becaue of that phenomenon.

Colonizing mars with bio-engineered things, huh? Like algea and cockroaches or something like that? Terraformars, everyone. Don't trust those roaches.

Before I address the topic of global warming first let me state that I am environmentalist as fuck and that not believing in the global warming hoax != being anti-environment. I am also pro-renewable energy as fuck.

“The Arctic Ocean is warming up, icebergs are growing scarcer, and in
some places the seals are finding the water too hot. Reports from
fishermen, seal hunters, and explorers all point to a radical change in
climate conditions and hitherto unheard-of temperatures in the Arctic
zone. Exploration expeditions report that scarcely any ice has been met
as far north as 81 degrees 29 minutes. Within a few years it is
predicted that due to the ice melt the sea will rise and make most
coastal cities uninhabitable.” — from an Associated Press report
published in The Washington Post on Nov. 2, 1922.

The Global Warming hoax has been going on for about a century now. Always and repeatedly predicting the imminent end of the world in a couple of years. If the world was going to end due to global warming it would have ended by now.
In earlier ages, apocalypticism and apocalyptic hysteria were religious. Now apocalypticism wears a cloak of science and scientific jargon. The Global Warming myth is nothing more than secular, pseudo-scientific apocalypticism.

@ back of the napkin math, it's not good enough. No, you still have to have the exact numbers. Human pollution and carbon emissions could be a drop in the bucket that is the wider ecosystem.

Also, look at Climategate: a massive and pervasive Enron-grade fraud and manipulation of data and numbers.
Science itself may be objective. But the scientists doing the science are human and corruptible and subject to the usual temptations of money, power, sex, etc. Looking at charts does not tell the whole story. He who looks at charts without questioning who is behind them, whether he is qualified, biased or has a conflict of interest, is not objective or as rational and "scientific" as he might think.

When you (or the government) assign people and pay them to investigate whether climate change is a real threat, no matter how pure your intentions are, you have unintentionslly created an incentive for them to come back with results that say that, yes, in fact global warming is real and is almost a major threat. This is the root of the hoax and of the hysterical and rabid alarmism surrounding it. If they come back and tell you that climate change is not happening or not a huge issue, then, at best, they lose their jobs, and, as climatologists, might even lose their careers or face greatly reduced long-term employment prospects.

After the initial hoax is created out of the corruption of a bunch of climate scientists, the now established global warming myth can be seized and capitalized upon by other con artists and frauds. e.g. politicians and oligarchs and international hyenas who fancy themselves the masters of the Universe. These international hyenas then impose such absurd things as "carbon taxes" to steal and plunder and skim off the productivity of entire nations. Thus the global warming hoax becomes a racket on a much, much bigger scale than it was originally, with a bunch of government-hired climatologists seeking to secure wasteful government funding.
The carbon tax is completely pointless. There is no global warming for it to even be possible for those taxes to fix.

Letting go of the myth of global warming doesn't mean environmentalism is dead or false and it doesn't give us license to destroy the environment. Letting go of global warming means we make ourselves immune to con artists and crooks who seek to exploit us and con us out of our money and destroy our economies by playing on our good will, good nature and noble intentions.
Not believing in the myth of global warming does not mean you are anti-environmentalist just like not believing in God does not mean you are anti-morality.

Having let go of the myth of global warming we can then pursue environmentalism for the good and real reasons we should be pursuing it.
If global warming isn't real that doesn't suddenly make smog, or dumping toxic chemicals in the water cool, okay or acceptable.
All of those things (pollution, dumping toxic chemicals, smoke/emissions) should be reduced even if global warming isn't real. They are not just anti-environment, they are also unpatriotic. Even if the land you are destroying is entirely your private property, it is still part of the country you're in. Destroying your own land is also destroying or harming your country. And that's assuming surface pollution doesn't affect surrounding areas, rivers or underground water reservoirs, etc.
You can disbelieve in global warming and still think that lumber companies should replant trees to offset the ones they cut down. You can still believe in sustainability.
Speaking of trees, the vast majority of the oxygen produced may be coming from the ocean and underwater flora, not trees. That said, let's keep our trees. A forest, if it does nothing else, is much better looking than a devastated wasteland.

Even if global warming is fake we should still switch to electric cars and/or hydrogen-electric cars (cars that use electric motors but the energy is stored in the form of hydrogen fuel instead of electric batteries)
We should still try to switch as many houses as possible to decentralized and renewable energy sources such as solar and wind. The benefits from these changes are not just environmental, they're social and political.

BTW, did you know that in the 70's it was Global Cooling that was all the rage? The predictions back then were for an imminent ice age. Then they switched to Global Warming. And this time, since in the past 15 years the Earth has been cooling, instead of switching back their brain-dead drums and mantra back to Global Cooling, because that would expose them as the frauds and nutjobs they are, they decided to rebrand Global Warming as Climate Change. That way it can go up and down and they still keep their manufactured narrative going.

The truth is that neither the temperature of the Earth nor its climate/s are 100% static, they have been going up and down for millennia. Nothing is 100% static on the Earth. Earth may be a planet in the Goldilocks region, but it's not THAT much in the Goldilocks. Earth's temperature is cyclical and looks like the curve of an alternating current. So when the temperature of the Earth goes up, these lunatics predict the imminent meltdown of the Earth. When the temperature of the Earth goes down, these same lunatics screech about an imminent ice age.

But there's no reason whatsoever to think we are anything more than a tiny fly on the back of a titan and nothing we do can even remotely get the attention of said titan, let alone harm or kill him. We aren't polluting the Earth, we're polluting the immediate environment we live in, the cities and the towns where people are. Not polluting our collective living space is simply a matter of public hygiene the same way that not turning your own home or car into a dump is a matter of personal hygiene.

Climate Change climatologists have all the credibility of that guy standing on a soapbox on the corner of the street screaming about "The End Is Nigh!".

For the love of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, will you not even CONSIDER the opposite view and the slightest possibility that you might be wrong on the issue of global warming? Every time you start talking about global warming it's so cringe.

1 Like

Im not that good with Photoshop but here I thought this captured my thoughts pretty well. I call it "Lenovo Just Breathes Privacy"

For everyone wanted to watch the documentary that Wendall was talking about can see it here. This weeks tek was interesting also is it me or are we keep getting more news about musk and VR over the past month plus Linux talk.

Man-made global warming is a scientific consensus; it is not a myth and it is not a conspiracy. You would need an incredible amount of evidence to convince anyone who is either scientifically literate or skeptically minded otherwise. If you genuinely care about this topic do yourself the favour of researching it with healthy skepticism and be aware of your own personal biases. For example, you might find yourself disagreeing with something offhand simply because it doesn't agree with your current views. Push past that to find the facts. Here's a place to get started: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2212096314000163

1 Like

I want my thorium powered car.

I've got suprised by Wendell's awareness of history of USSR/Russia.
Just saying

Because of you Tek Syndicate, I actually became a patron and donated $1 month. Hopefully when I acquire more money that I will raise it up to $5 per month. You guys are too awesome and this is the least I could do especially considering I use uBlock everywhere.

Next week, The Tek will reach its 200 milestone. Can't believe it has been that long.

1 Like

Finally got to sit down and watch this episode. Love the random opening by the way haha.

Also, I'm just going to leave this here again . . .

Danny Divito seems like a decent guy. Perhaps he'd let us direct a version with him as a one-man show for a small fee. New Patreon stretch goal?

2 Likes

I would buy the "stop buying apple products" shirt then walk past the local Apple store repeatedly but the local Apple store has had no customers the past few weeks when I have walked past. A sign people already are buying less Apple.