The Tek 0196: Will Human Intelligence Keep Up With AI? | Tek Syndicate

I live in czech, and from what I've expierienced, it changes provider by provider. UPC, which is part of liberty global (and they provide internet and cable television all around the globe, except for north america, how convienient...), rents you a cable box for symbolic 1Kčs (around 4 Cents) per month, and the most expensive cable box I've seen was rented for (recounted to dollars) around 20 bucks for as long, as you are a customer

There is also FreeSat here... Yeah it's just a straight-up weird situation!
Seems to work OK as a system though...

I have a cable subscription, but I plug the antenna cable directly into my tv, no cable box required and it would be quite redundant with a smart TV. Oh and if you have a satellite dish, you don't have to pay any recurring fee.

Basic download speed here in Croatia is from 2-4 Mbps and upload is barely 512 kbps from major ISP which is subsidiary of Deutsche Telekom (known also as T-com). The thing is that major population here in Croatia is still on copper wires which hasnt been upgraded since the Croatia has become independent state from Yugoslavia (which was about 30 years ago). So yeah u guys are all still good with ur net compared to us here on Balkan...

No download management any more :)
Upload though yeah

Virgin took all their shit back, but we've still got a sky box and router from when we were with them, guess they just don't care

Sorta, the tv licence is more for the right to watch live tv legally and upkeep of national infrastructure.
Freeview itself is funded by the main tv channels bbc, itv, sky etc as a digital tv replacement to the old free analogue tv signal (which you still needed a licence to view).
I'm just sorta wondering if there's no free analogue tv or some sort of public tv in the US?

1 Like

Looking forward to your Linux-Windows VM work around to get Nvidia drivers installed and booting Windows FROM LINUX within a few seconds, then back again in a instant? (to Wendell)

1 Like

Here in Romania, you can pay like 20-25 USD for a pretty nice package: gigabit internet, 80 channel digital TV, 3g modem. I think they also give you a free landline and mobile phone service if you ask, but I never cared for those.

If you get the complete package, they give you a ONT/box which can feed data for all the services from a fiber line. The box itself is free and you can keep it for as long as you have a contract with the respective ISP.

If you just want internet, they give you an ONT which can also act like a basic switch/wireless access point.

He would be using KVM to run Windows inside of Linux. NVIDIA cards require the host machine to lie to the VM because VM disable themself when they detect a VM because" reasons".

My place in West London is on Virgin cable and it's really fast.

Eastern Europe, Bulgaria: No cable box sh*t.
For 11.69$ (usd) / month i get : 65 Mbps, 94 digital TV programs 94 20+ of them HD, Free static IP & PTR record. The contract is 18 months, but for those prices, I'd like to bind the ISP for even more. The ISP(net1.bg) offers to sell a standard DVB-C TV Tuner if your TV does not have such and rents no proprietary cable box stuff.
I have only two cables coming through the wall, i own my wireless router.
Sorry for the speeds/prices you get in USA. I don't want to make it more painful, but we're an x-solviet country which is still developing.

If you think it's quick for the price then by all means add it here:

https://forum.teksyndicate.com/t/what-isp-on-earth-provides-the-best-speed-to-price-ratio/86239

I second that but he lives up in Scotland

@40:17 Not the first time Asus has crammed a desktop CPU into a laptop - My first gaming laptop was the Asus C90s, which had a LGA775 socket in it; It supported conroe based Core 2 Duo CPUs up to the X6800.

Err, Wendel. There is no Skylake desktop part with edram, but the Broadwell i7-5775C has 128mb of Edram. You can test it today ;)

Yes we have cable boxes in the UK that are preparatory lumps of crap

Topboxes in Italy:

No.

Internet and TV are separate. ISP do rent DSL modems to the final user, but they cannot tell you 'you MUST use it, otherwise no internet for you, buster.'. You can use whatever you like. Also, you had to pay a fee to rent this modem, but know they're included for free with flat plans. We do not have bandwith caps or data caps, they're illegal. But we have a copper infrastructure that leaks like an old Fiat Duna... Our average contract is 7Megs, but final user usually get between 3/5 Megs. The ISP managed to lower the legal minimum iatus between nominal bandwith and real bandwith. Even with the new definition of bandwith as 30M/5M.

The new thing, that sort of sound like the american 'top box', is the bundled sky+fastweb deal. They give you Sky satellite tv and Fastweb ADSL (or fiber) at a discount. It's a deal to get you to watch satellite tv and not use internet for content streaming (a service not avaible legally in Italy). It's an old fashioned thing and if you want to take advantage of it you must get all sky packages and keep them as long as you want internet (and that's about 70€ montly, plus your fastweb charge after the first bundled year).

Our internet infrastructure has nothing to do with television, we never had cable tv in Italy, either aerial analogic (and now digital) or satellite.

Bulgaria. We have purely Internet providers, that do nothing else but to... well... provide you with Internet connection. I am currently using the lowest tear plan. 12$ for... um... Well, the highest download is about 8MB and upload is around 1,5 up to 2MB.
The cell phone carriers and cable TV companies also provide Internet, but the dedicated providers give you way faster speed and way less issues.
Everybody allows us to buy or rent routers, boxes, etc, but if I already have a box or router they just connect it to their network and that is about it.
For the last about 8 years I have been using the same Internet provider and I only had issues once. I have called their costumer service, it just so happens there was some work in the area, 5 min later I had Internet. Never had an issue since.

Here in the Netherlands (europe) I use the cable provider/ISP Ziggo. I am not required to rent a cable box, instead I can just get a smartcard and put it in any dvr (that supports the protocol) or in most tv's for 2 euros. Despite that I do rent a cable box from Ziggo for 5 euros a month. It allows me to rewatch anything that was on tv the last week for free. The only drawback is that you can't fastforward commercials (yes you also have to rewatch the commercials) for some copyrighted material. It also has a free netflix like video on demand service with some great content, just not as much as netflix.
This sounds a lot better than the stuff you have to deal with in the USA.

Also I have never in my life had data caps on my internet, can't imagine what it would be like to have that limitation.