The Tek 0189: Should We Genetically Modify Babies for a Higher IQ? | Tek Syndicate

so I did that sun spider benchmark Win 10 build 10130 @Logan

Is less milliseconds good?

Chrome

Edge

Yeah the suit jacket is back! Also, veggies that taste like bacon? I'm in.

People need to chill out on the whole Reddit situation, like Logan said it's a website owned by an organization. You don't have the right to free speech. As far as I'm concerned people who frequent hate boards are not people and I don't care what they think/ want.

Village on the moon? Let's make a heaven for science, technology, and research. Keep all the stupid and greedy people out. Free of international asshatery, keep the toxic thinking out. Focus on things that matter and that will help improve humanity. Anyone wanna start a kickstarter?

Genetically modifying babies for a higher IQ, is it ethical? Hm, ethical is a funny word. It's quiet ethical for a bird to eat a worm. I like to think of engineering babies to be smarter a good way to help the world. I don't see a negative consequence for it. The problem is that people are asshats and will want to monopolize it or do something nefarious with it. This is the problem with a lot of things in the world. There are people who want to take innovative ideas and use them to only make money or weapons or something. There are few people nowadays that want to make something to help the world as a whole. And the ones who do usually end up working for the ones who don't. This is one of the reasons why I hate people. Well, I don't hate people as a whole, I hate the greedy asshats at the top who can't let us have nice things. And are ultimately holding the world back. If we lived in a society where people only wanted to do good and help other people we would not be having this discussion. If we could make each other smarter we would be doing it, not because it could make us more money or give us an unfair advantage over others but because it would help humanity as a whole. But in the world we live in today people just want to make more money or weapons, even at the cost of others.

As far as lounge drama goes, I'm just gonna take a break from the lounge. I feel like I need to branch out and post in more interesting threads. I'll go back eventually. Making the lounge a monthly thing? I guess so, it could work. Also, @Logan , I think you should post the stuff you put on twitter in the lounge.

@Wendell got 99 problems but a Youtube comment aint one!

Speaking of velociraptors, here's the pilot episode of Archer with Archer played by a velociraptor.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2cyrqo_archer-archersaurus-unaired-pilot-episode-season-1-episode-0_fun

I went to CERN last year. It was pretty interesting. Geneva is a really nice place as well.

2 Likes

I've got a project, pretty reasonable could make money ... or whatever. Where do I write about it? Show me directions? Please! I am no messiah. I just get distracted by things.

@Logan and @Wendell I tested Windows 10 Edge vs Chrome for you.
https://forum.teksyndicate.com/t/the-tek-0189-windows-10-x64-edge-vs-chrome-the-results/84099?u=paraboliclabs

Man I'd love to see a video of tek at CERN :D

1 Like

I think breeding out stupid people might not be such a bad thing.
Sooner the better.

I have a friend who only uses the Netflix mail service, but it's so he can rip the content to his file server. He tends to prefer higher quality encodings over what's commonly shared on the Internet. I just use streaming and am very happy with it. I know they already have one additional streaming tier so you can have more simultaneous streams and add 4K content.

As for the Netflix caches, I have personal experience with one working for a municipal ISP. The offload is significant and @wendell's guess about 75% hit rate is about right. However the benefit in the cache isn't just offloading traffic closer to the customer it's also faster load time due to the reduced latency. This allows a single TCP connection to reach a higher peak rate. The cost to the ISP is physical space, power, and cooling. Any bitching about needing additional capacity is bullshit since they need it anyway to meet demand and having it closer to the customer reduces necessary capacity on backbone infrastructure. The expected savings were significant for us and already paying off, and we aren't even that big.

Been done. This was considered trash sci-fi back in the day. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2247067.Anvil_of_the_Heart but it happened to measured against the golden age of sci-fi writers.There are many other books exploring that issue. More than likely we will start with the Wrath of Khan and end with The Ship who Sang. :)

1 Like

Bitch, please make a shirt.
Wendell looking up at a monitor that faintly displays "Bitch, please."

2 Likes

What I consider one sided about the whole genetic discussion is that it only talks about IQ. There are so many brain qualities that help us grow as a spiecies, creativity, empathy etc. IQ is just one test, one set of problems, it is not the one ultimate answer to all science. Also the level of IQ has been growing at a rate which is way too fast for evolution, we are teaching people too be better at the things tested by the IQ test (conscious or by acident through new stuff like games). The key too having a healthy development in a country is through education, the right funding and creating the right mentality in bussiness and science communities. Also a baby has no choice and you don't know what you change, because babys and growth and shit. I personally have autism, normally considered a bad thing. Yes it has lots of down sides, but in the end I am glad I have it, because I feel it influened the way I look at the world in a possitive way. I think it makes me be a better person. That is why I would never ever support genetic manipulation on babys appart from really extreme dissorders (really extreme compared too autism that is). You do not just make them better, but you also take something away and that is a choice impossible to make fr a parent, docter or society, because you just don't know what you do.

Also the whole good of the many above the good of the few is scary. Yes, scary. There are tons of dystopian novals where we gotten into a system of suppression, because it is "the best" for the masses. I believe that Brave New World is a suiting example (although I haven't read it). So be carefull how much fate you put into "the system".

For the netflix price hike, it seems like that are planing to go the route of cable companies. Due to their market share, they are now at a point where they feel they have the ability to start screwing the customers. This marks a point where someone really needs to start a competing service that actually offers enough content to justify a monthly fee.

This is so true. In fact, I can somewhat relate to this. If I go to school to learn, and I don't remember most of what I learned over the summer, does that make me dumb? A bad student? Do I just have a bad memory? Or am I supposed to be learning specialized things that I'll use mostly ever day in my life?

I'm all for genetic modification. I think it's the future, but it should be readily available to everyone if they so choose to want to participate in it.

1 Like

There are currently no movie streaming services that compel me. Netflix wants to be Cable 2.0. With it's limited selection of shows. Can you believe they don't have classic like The Thing? or Any friday the 13ths? but they have Nightmare on Elm Street 2, the most PG of the elm streets. I hope GOG opens their movie selections up, but licensing is a bitch.

For schooling, it is hard to retain content if you have no practical application for it. Even for specialized programs, there is a ton of crap that really does nothing to help you do a job that requires said degree.

In college, the vast majority of the general education requirements (especially the foreign language requirements) will be a complete waste of time.

In high school, the issue is worst as you are doing many subjects, and for the ones you do not specialize in one of them, the others end up largely being a waste of time as the high school level of proficiency in the subject area, is not adequate for real world applications. This is why high school diplomas (not counting additional skills learned outside of school) usually will not qualify someone for much more than "unskilled" labor.

The human brain has an incredibly memory depth. If you are skilled at taking control of dreams that you are having, try reading something or listen to music. The full frequency range and elements of music will be reproduced. Text on paper, right down to the texture of the paper, and the toner or ink, will be reproduced.

On the other hand, the brain has many automated processes that clear out data that we subconsciously feel is not really needed, especially if we feel that the data will not be useful practically, and also not contribute to enjoyment/ pleasure.

It is hard to understand exactly how it handles its data, but you can hear a song you really like once, and then hear it again in a dream, in full clarity and detail. The issue is getting that extreme ability for it to record information, and have it apply to stuff that you feel is boring or not completely useful or enjoyable.

1 Like

5 Likes

yey the tek! and I am for genetic manipulation of fetuses, so MS,ALS and all other horrific genetic diseases will be a thing of the past

"BITCH PLEASE, I've got two rows of monitors". We need this shirt in our lives!

lol!... i'm currently learning ruby to then use ruby on rails. is it that bad? =/