The Tek 0175: Data Bandwidth Caps Must Die | Tek Syndicate

Am I the only one who was confused when Wendell described the inelasticity of demand of internet service as "Gaussian." This just means that it follows a normal distribution. The heights of children are gaussian. Often firms assume variances to be gaussian to their destruction (see residential mortgage crisis). There are other fat-tailed distributions that can be useful (pareto, beta) and are used a lot in the insurance industry (where I learned them), but there is no application for analysis of variance type stuff with the demand for internet service. Wendell, for the first time I must ask, WTF were you talking about?

After watching this episode of The Tek for the third time, I have drawn some, many, very important conclusions:

A: You are not mentioning the product in an aggressive enough manor. Remember: rapid hand movements, and make fists for christ-sakes. AND ALWAYS MENTION THE PRODUCT AGGRESSIVELY. :O Also sudden staring off set into the distance creates suspense... Suspense followed-buy (HO HA!) AGGRESSIVE REINFOCEMENT of the product!
B: Mention easter, and other religious holidays occurring near the release of the episode of The Tek, this is to reinforce the idea of continuity, and is important for future fan made clip shows.
C. More PaUoC. Remember People are Units of Consumption! Also, more PaUoC, PaUoC!
D. The being kind, honest and thorough are at adequate levels.

Just wanted to let you guys know, that you are awesome.

SEA DOGS... Guys do you ship to the UK. Would love the linux shirt.

@Logan Don't go door to door with the internet thing. Do a presentation at a community center and pass out fliers for it or something and, hope that people talk about it. You would be good at that.

Or he could do a neighbourhood BBQ or something like that.

Its going to be tricky to do it without being seen as the crazy moustacheless anarchist from New England :P

1 Like

@logan I'm Dutch and I have to nuance the workweek thing. It's true that we have the shortest average workweek (dutch graph, I'm sorry) of Europe. However, that number has to be nuanced.
We have an incredible number of people working part time, as well as many (part time) working mums. A normal full-time workweek is 36-40 hours. Which isn't much, but also not as low as 30,6. It's not that no one works 50-60 hours (freelance, business owner, high management) but it's certainly not the norm.
What you said about our productivity is true though, it is among the highest in the EU. (second only to Ireland I believe)

@Logan If you're into Sea Dogs, but want something less ancient, check out Age of Pirates 2: City of Abandoned Ships - it's pretty much the most elaborate game in that series (apart from the "Pirates Odyssey: to each his own", which is unfortunately only in Russian). I replay it every couple of years or so, since there's simply no other game like that. Maybe the new Mount&Blade would claim that market, but I won't touch it until they get the game in "release worthy" state.

@Logan

Jolla is releasing a tablet in june that is full GNU/Linux and runs android apps. They have already launched a phone that is Linux and compatible with Android.

Read about it here. https://jolla.com/tablet/

Glad to hear you're moving to Seattle, although I'm surprised, due to lack of optimal internet. I live north of Seattle, closer to the border, and I had to move. Heaven and earth to get Wave Broadband. Have a 1T cap, and supposedly 110 down / 10 up, however in my area, speeds drop to 5mbps down during peak evening hours. They claim to be upgrading their backbone, and o hope they do. I've found their custserv to be quite good, so at there's that.

I've been lurking around the show for a while and really enjoy it. I'm relatively antisocial, but would enjoy meeting up with you and Wendall, when he's in town.

Keep up the good work.

You should totally come and live where i do, it's less than an hour away from Minneapolis and i have 50 down and 50 up for 35 bucks a month, and you can get 100 up and down for 45

Really glad you've moving to Seattle! When you finally arrive it would be great to have an event to welcome you guys to the area. :)

Check out this sound board in action lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eckoYQqdk28

If you don't care about the story in GTA, then you must play Saints row 3 and 4. Its like GTA on drugs and it's super fun to play, With some activities you can do there, ridiculousness is way bigger.

Companies around in 1000 years Comcast Crocheted Curios Imporium
selling optic fiber Doilies, Hammocks and Macrame pot holders, Virgin , iRobot RoombaTerminator inc. , Top Gear (formally known as BBC)

I'm using Ello, it's interesting.

Hey, I'm on there too! We should start an ello invite thread maybe. I've got 7.

EDIT: There's a like, 7 month old one already.

Love my Surface Pro 3 just sayin'

In my area CenturyLink doesn't even offer 1Mb down here

what is that running on wendel's monitor, e.g. around 50 mins in video?
i'm curious what program or process looks like that 8-)

https://forum.teksyndicate.com/t/wendell-what-the-hell-is-going-on-on-your-monitor/77612?u=spacecat

This reads a bit weird but feel free to discuss a point you like. That is why I offer my opinions on this stuff.

Crystal: I think we sort of all ready do this with conversations and people anyway. We do analyse each other and learn how to talk to each other in the most fitting/manipulative way possible. This just automates it. I do not for one second think we should have this automated but we do this today anyway.

DotCom Company or Street Drug?: Digi Biscuits, it's a future drug for when we have cybernetics, has the same basic effect as E.

Companies still around in the future: Mattel.

Is the US a Safe Harbour: No. Not even close, but nowhere else is much better.

Ello: Goodbye. I like that it has no ads and their methods of funding themselves but I have gotten to the point where these large social media websites with profiles and such just don't make sense, we don't need this stuff. Twitter is about as far as it should go and there is even parts of that I don't like. It is just masses of information just being left around with no benefit to the user, only the company behind it. We don't need this level of sharing.

Comcast Customer Support: Yachting Intensifies!

Mobile battery tech:

Half way between capacitor and battery.

Cappery?

GTA5: Nope still not coming out. Until I see it actually running on my PC it is still open to delay.