The TALOS II from Raptor Systems is Interesting

LOL whut

Yeah… especially seeing as this was a webinar with the AIX users group.
Still, they did answer the question so I marked it down as such.

1 Like

I never got the impression that the Xeon Phi coprocessor sold particularly well, and it appears that Intel would agree.

OpenPOWER is a general-purpose CPU, and I think the ability to run a normal OS and applications on it is a point in its favor. There would have to be a compelling use case to justify having to learn specialized tools to develop for it, like you do with Xeon Phi add-in cards, GPUs, and FPGAs. As a standalone system, the only requirement is a compiler target.

Well it can pipe a fuckload more data than the current 4 core xeons. Plus you can get 4 core 32 thread P9’s because fuck it why not?

POWER is cool, but people have to work with it. I’m still getting one of these if for nothing else as a stupid fucking amiga.

STOP GETTING MY HYPED FOR THE TALOS PRINCIPLE 2.

I just want to play it.

GRRRR!

Me slappy, you crappy.

I had not noticed that they finished the FAQ page, but what is interesting, is that the “Why Raptor Computing Systems? …” question mentions:

… we are not just shipping a stock reference design, like other vendors did with POWER8; rather, Talos™ II contains numerous unique features that increase usability, promote openness, and boost system security. Talos™ II is truly one of a kind and is additionally protected against unauthorized hardware clones by patents and/or patents pending …

which makes me wonder what these non-reference features are.

The only other POWER9 board I know about is the Zaius mainboard that Google and Rackspace designed.(google blog, rackspace blog) Keep in mind though, it is using LaGrange CPUs, not the Sforza chips that Talos II will.

wasn’t this game just a bone stock survival puzzler type thing that everyone just bought as a low level API benchmark back when pickings were slim?

ALSO: Anyone got SQL performance or video encoding benchmarks for this POWER9 cpu?

ALSO ALSO: What’s the point of nvlink I/O if there’s no POWER9 nvidia driver

SQL and encoding performance should be insane on these. Also, I believe the NV drivers are available on these sorts of systems as they tend to have the compute and server GPU’s in the rack setups.

I wanted benchmarks, not speculation from our resident RISC fetishist. I already know what your opinion of these CPUs is.

Also, there’s definitely no public POWER unix drivers for their nvlink devices. I’m in the cuda/cudnn developer program and there’s no easy access there either. Chances are average Joes will never be able to use that feature of this Mobo.

That’s literally the only thing that makes this box interesting to me, as it might’ve been a cheaper way to accelerate ML work and development. If it can’t encode or do db faster than the equivalent 5k USD x86 server, then it’s pretty useless tbh.

Well this is also like an 18000 dollar machine. This isn’t exactly Greasemonkey Bob’s home computer.

it’s 5-7k, not 18k.

Also, it’s a general purpose workstation machine. If it performs worse at everything than other computers at the same price, and all of it’s keystone features have zero real world applications, It doesn’t matter what you buy it for. It’ll be a very bad value.

Even if I was an enthusiast or hobbyist, I’d want to see benchmarks for my application before even considering one of these.

My point is that people are paying out the ass for the tech. at hand, I assume you get a lisence for some cool shit in there as well.

That point makes very little sense.

Even if it did, that tech can’t be used for anything, and accelerated computing is off the table entirely because nothing that pushes decent OCL/Cuda performance is supported on POWER by their manufacturers.

Best case it’s better at like, one thing that’s CPU-bound that isn’t impossible to compile for on the platform.

The other thing is people find uses for shit too. People do find uses for stuff like this or create uses for it you know.

Yeah, people remove their fillings with paperclips and get high on air conditioner coolant. Good point, I shouldn’t be questioning if the purchase is advisable for the same reason I shouldn’t be questioning inhalant abusers.

Anyway HMU if you find any real performance data.

Find it yourself asshole.

Already looked around, which his why I asked here.

Then you started saying irrelevant shit, completely unsolicited.

No.

It was gorgeous. Ran really well even at max settings. And had a philosophical story told through text that was very enjoyable. It had like every option available for customizing graphics. The graphics menus went on for days.

Everything about it was awesome as long as you liked puzzles.

3 Likes

So yes.