The Subject of SSD Reliability in 2019: Advice Wanted/ Plus my Observations as a Tech

Pretty standard advice in the consumer world is to avoid Adata and Kingston if you’re after reliability, so I’m pretty perplexed by your choices. I don’t have much reliability numbers for new SSDs as not enough time has passed, but I’ve had good luck with Intel 730, Samsung 830 and 850 pro, SanDisk Extreme II and Pro. I’ve seen maybe 30-40 of them deployed with no failures in the course of 7 ish years. Personally haven’t had an issue with Crucial MX500s either though I’m a little less confident about them for some reason. I still have an OCZ Vertex 30GB running even :smiley:

WD is basically SanDisk, you shouldn’t too many issues with them.

Please consider that the time , headache and data loss that cheap SSDs will cost you over time is more than the price of better SSDs. 50$ more per pc that last 4-5 years is less than 1$ a month per user

This is 2019, all the major brands are pretty much fine. The days of serious controller faults (OCZ poison!) are behind us.

I probably wouldn’t buy one of the insanely cheap intel 660p SSDs myself, because QLC isn’t really proven yet. But I would be really surprised if we don’t look at QLC SSDs as standard and perfectly fine for most normal usecases a year from now.

It’s funny that Samsung (who I rate very highly) dropped the warranty for their 860 Pro’s down to the new industry standard of 5 years.
Their 10 year warranties for the older Pro’s were a real consideration, even if they came with a 40-50% price delta for what at the time, was a 3x warranty time.

I’ve still got a couple of OCZ drives running, and have had a couple of EVO’s die, but would go Samsung any day, without a doubt.
Money wise, it seems whatever big brand has a deal on doesn’t really make too much difference, in the consumer space.
I would stay away from smaller brands, even if they are basically the same silicon with off-brand wrapping.