The small pfSense problem thread

Post random questions about pfSense related issues.

Ill start.
My router rebooted for the first time in... for the first time. The power dropped longer than the UPS could hold earlier today. I noticed nothing was talking and wouldn't assume an ip. Hit reset on the router and waited a few minutes, nothing. Switched off power, tried again, nothing. Hauled down a monitor and scrounged up some cables.

Found on boot it would ask to setup the WAN/LAN interfaces? Wtf, Couldnt remember the interface names so i unplugged all of them to use the autodetect feature, rebooted and everything resumed like normal?? Plugged in the cables and business as usual.

Is this a configuration issue? I would assume the box should boot with the current configuration automatically.

1 Like

I can't explain what happened to your box, but yes, you assume correctly. Even if pfSense looses power, it should remember which interface is which.

Yeah it shouldn't forget the configuration. Maybe for some reason after the reboot the physical interface names changed which messed up the config but that shouldn't happen unless you added or removed an interface.

Do you have the Ram disk enabled? If so an unexpected shut down could mess up the configuration.

No ram disk that I'm aware of, everything on an SSD anyway. Using the integrated NIC for the WAN and I have a 4 port gigabit intel card for the lan interfaces. One dual port intel nic with nothing plugged in. Most equipment would have been powered off apart from a few switches, wifi ap, ancillary tp-link router and an arduino. No peripherals were plugged into the pfsense box either.

I did the 2.4 update just now and everything started up fine when it rebooted after installation.

PFblockerNG is my little side annoyance of the moment. Just when I think I have a nice set of lists that I am using I refresh and discover that I am blocked from you poop, fleabay, google or some other "essential".

To make this list based filtering work do I have to actively be white listing every time something shows up on the shit list that I want access to? Am I choosing bad lists or is it just the nature of free lists that they get spammed with hosts that shouldnt get filtered?

What are you trying to filter out? If you can't get to google and ebay then it's probably not the right list