The small linux problem thread

This thread is dedicated for problems that don't necessarily deserve their own thread. Post your small problems in here if you think that's a good idea.

I actually fixed the problem I was having while writing this thread, but I'll post this anyway in case anyone else has something to ask.

16 Likes

My problem is related to past compilations and commands. Corrupted source code, and buggy inputs. Many times when I produce output, people look at me like that time I looked at that video of Ricard Stallman when he was dancing with the gnu. I sometimes think it's because of synthesis, but have ultimately determined people are strange when you're a stranger.

8 Likes

My problem is my USB wireless adapter is impossible to get to work in Linux, so I'm stuck with Windows on my desktop.

2 Likes

look into a program called ndiswrapper it lets you use windows wireless drivers on linux

5 Likes

What @fredwntr1 said, or get a new wifi adapter, there not very expensive and 802.11n is well supported.

you can get a decent adapter on Amazon for ca $10 - $20.
If program is not working but you really want to switch to Linux you should probably try a new one if this is not a financial problem. I could send you more than one that will work just fine but the shipping costs from Germany to the US would be higher than the price of any decent USB adapter :D

2 Likes

Ndiswrapper sort of works, but not 100%. It works to the point where it will recognize the wireless adapter and I can connect to my router, and it will load up the first webpage I go to, but after that it drops. It stays connected to the router, but it won't transfer any info.

I have the money for a new adapter, I just don't feel like spending money on one when mine works fine in Windows. I don't really need to run Linux, I just prefer it, but since Windows works fine and my adapter works fine in Windows I just don't feel like spending the money on another one.

2 Likes

Totally fine. Calm down. Here's just one thing to think about:

What is more valuable to you? - 20 bucks or your privacy.

Don't get me wrong. I don't blame you for using Windows. For me it is just not an option anymore because I am more worried about Microsoft doing stuff to my system, collecting my data etc. than spending some money on Linux compatible hardware - For instance I use online banking to manage my financial stuff and I don't want Microsoft to be able to log my credentials through a stupid key logger...

5 Likes

A tiny problem I'm having with my Arch install is that Spotify audio level seems to randomly jump up and sometimes sync with my main audio, then desync randomly. It happens with both spotify and spotify-beta packages in AUR.

1 Like

My problem is that after an install of Arch and cinnamon I am unable to configure an Xorg.conf.new. Also if I startx (after failing to create said Xorg.conf.new) There are letters and icons missing on the toolbar and menus

1 Like

I am calm, I was just explaining that it's not really a huge priority for me to be able to run Linux. I'd like to be able to run it on all of my computers, but it's not that important. I'm not too worried about the privacy aspect as long as it doesn't become a nuisance, like Amazon search suggestions in Ubuntu (Unity) when you're just trying to find a certain program. If you have a smartphone all your info is already out there anyways, people are just hoping and praying that Google, Apple, and MS never use your info for bad stuff, or give it to the wrong people on accident, or get hacked like PSN does every year or two.

The biggest issue for me is that I'd want to be able to get all my games to work, but I really don't want to have to screw with wine or playonlinux. It's just not worth the hassle. So the fact that I wouldn't be able to run Linux 100% of the time is what's deterring me from spending extra money in order to be able to run Linux.

1 Like

OK. I also have a Win7 gaming machine sitting under my desk. I am just too lazy porting all those games to Linux and hacking configs together just to be able to do gaming on Linux. If MS or Steam is using my gaming data for stuff, that wouldn't be nice but I wouldn't even care. E.g. my Tribes Ascend stats are already available on wilderzone.org...
http://www.wilderzone.org/player/BroCode
For my daily stuff as a developer, admin and entrepreneur, I would never do anything on Windows. My work flow would suffer and security would always be an issue. And therefore I would rather build an entirely new system for a few hundred bucks or use a Raspberry Pi than having a Windows machine for work.
It would hunt me in my dreams! :D

2 Likes

This is not very helpful...

Open the file /etc/default/grub and add usbhid.quirks=0x1B1C:0x1B09:0x400 to the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT string, then run sudo update-grub. If the error persists reboot and when you get to the grub menu select Ubuntu and press E, not enter, and look for that usbhid.quirks line, and replace 400 with 4 (ie remove the last two zeros). This should solve the boot time, but might make your keyboard unusable. If the latter happens make sure that you've got the drivers installed and that they're started at boot (sudo systemctl enable ckb-daemon). If that works, then just repeat the first step, but replace 400 with 4.

1 Like

I have the same problem like @b1gbadwo1f and followed your steps. Drivers are installed and the grub edit didn't help.

[    6.245022] input: Corsair Corsair K70 RGB Gaming Keyboard  as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb1/1-1/1-1:1.0/0003:1B1C:1B13.0004/input/input23
[    6.298485] hid-generic 0003:1B1C:1B13.0004: input,hidraw3: USB HID v1.11 Keyboard [Corsair Corsair K70 RGB      Gaming Keyboard ] on usb-0000:00:14.0-1/input0
[   16.292553] hid-generic 0003:1B1C:1B13.0005: usb_submit_urb(ctrl) failed: -1
[   16.292565] hid-generic 0003:1B1C:1B13.0005: timeout initializing reports
[   16.292744] input: Corsair Corsair K70 RGB Gaming Keyboard  as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb1/1-1/1-1:1.1/0003:1B1C:1B13.0005/input/input24
[   16.348650] hid-generic 0003:1B1C:1B13.0005: input,hidraw4: USB HID v1.11 Keyboard [Corsair Corsair K70 RGB Gaming Keyboard ] on usb-0000:00:14.0-1/input1
[   26.342670] hid-generic 0003:1B1C:1B13.0006: timeout initializing reports
[   26.342846] hid-generic 0003:1B1C:1B13.0006: hiddev0,hidraw5: USB HID v1.11 Device [Corsair Corsair K70 RGB Gaming Keyboard ] on usb-0000:00:14.0-1/input2
[   36.336876] hid-generic 0003:1B1C:1B13.0007: usb_submit_urb(ctrl) failed: -1
[   36.336889] hid-generic 0003:1B1C:1B13.0007: timeout initializing reports
[   36.337051] hid-generic 0003:1B1C:1B13.0007: hiddev0,hidraw6: USB HID v1.11 Device [Corsair Corsair K70 RGB Gaming Keyboard ] on usb-0000:00:14.0-1/input3
1 Like

My problem doesn't necessarily lay with Linux but with FireFox running on top of Linux, after about two weeks of running Firefox non-stop with about 14 tabs open it'll crash, if I restart it it will run another 10 or 12 days and crash again this time bringing down the OS, and yes that's right almost a month of continuous usage...like the title sez it's a small problem.

I guess it's time to install a second browser to take some of the load off? lol.

1 Like

Relax, it's probably paranoia. Remember that people rarely produce the output they intend so you should look through others reactions to see what really caused them. Sometimes my default (and involuntary) facial expression is the one you described and some people, especially some teachers, tend to get insecure.

Tearing Video playback. I've never been able to fix tearing issue no matter what video driver, video playback program, or forum thread I read. Ubuntu 15.04, Gnome 3, GTX 970.

1 Like

Then I'd direct you over here. You should be able to get help there.

1 Like

adding

usbhid.quirks=0x1B1C:0x1B09:0x408

solved the problem. Thanks for the help.

1 Like

I have a problem where Linux takes a really long time to boot up if a mount point in /etc/fstab is missing such as if I remove a hard drive or try mount an NFS share during bootup when the server is offline. My assumption is that it is waiting for the drive to be connected and has a really long time out period. I also have a similar issue where Linux will hang if NFS is still mounted when I issue the shutdown command.

2 Likes