The small linux problem thread

Illegal under DMCA.

pedantics.

The DMCA is my favorite legislation to

Violate

3 Likes

Wasnā€™t it changed recently so you could break DRM to fix your machine?

Edit, an link

2 Likes

Is the device that the drm content was delivered on broken?

if so, Iā€™d argue that breaking the drm to get the content you purchased, is acceptable.

Upgraded my Fedora workstation to 29.

No problems, big or small, just sayinā€™ :grin: Itā€™s that time.

4 Likes

The first ibm fedora release

3 Likes

4 Likes

So, one of my long time goals with my fileserver has always been to have a simple backup solution. Plug a USB hard drive into the front of the case, walk away, come back later and itā€™s done sort of simple.

I have a rsync script that works fine with my two USB hard drives, and I run it from my desktop from time to time. I have done some research and understand how to make a UDEV rule to launch a script, so I am pretty sure I can modify what I have to accomplish the main goal.

For the cherry on top, Iā€™d like to do one final thing: gracefully unmount the USB hard drive when rsync is done and make the PC speaker beep incessantly until it is unplugged. Anyone have an idea on doing this?

Iā€™ll probably have some time this weekend to work on this. If I can muster up the desire. I also have to relearn how to replace a drive in a ZFS pool.

OK so I have Fedora 28 with some RPMFusion repos and the jerbear Mesa+DXVK repo. Am I asking for trouble if I hit the upgrade button?

dnsmasq question:

I have a router configured with dnsmasq, which is working fine except that when I query the routerā€™s hostname, I get the loopback address (127.0.0.1). I can add a static entry for it, but host router.whatever.tld still returns both the static address and 127.0.0.1. Arguably, thereā€™s never a good reason for any DNS server to return a 127 address at all.

Is there a solution here?

Is your OS installed on an LVM volume? If youā€™re uncertain, just take a snapshot and record which kernel youā€™re running, so you can revert if it goes to shit.

Did it get any bluer?

Actually, it isnā€™t. The root partition is installed straight to an ext4 partition. /home is installed to a separate ext4 partition. Iā€™ve always felt that LVM adds an extra layer of complexity (that I donā€™t really understand) in the event that the filesystem needs repair.

To me, LVM is the easiest way to add snapshot capabilities to a bare metal Linux system, which is ideally what you want here.

For a plain ext4 partition on the drive, I believe the best thing is to dd the drive either to another drive or an image file which you can restore from in case the upgrade goes badly.

ddā€™ing now to external USB drive. God, I love pigzā€¦

2 Likes

Adding this for posterity sake

Compression

dd if=/dev/sdX | gzip -c | dd of=Backup.img.gz

Decompression

dd if=Backup.img.gz | gzip -d | dd of=/dev/sdX
3 Likes

I almost never use dd without compression because why not - CPUā€™s are too fast not to.

For compression I performed:

dd if=/dev/sda | pigz --fast > /backup-path/Backup.img.gz

For decompression I think Iā€™d use:

gunzip /backup-path/Backup.img.gz | dd of=/dev/sda

dd will accept stdin, right?

1 Like

Yeah, dd accepts stdin. Your methods are probably the most efficient option for compressed dd backup/restore.

idk try it.

echo ā€œHello World!ā€ | dd | cat