The small linux problem thread

I'm going to go with that it is safe to say that my 370 is not supported yet. I don't have anything new on this drive so I'm just going to flatline the install and redo it. I'll keep with an lts kernel until 4.6 becomes finished. Maybe by 4.7 my card will be supported but I'm not going to count my bonus ducks right now towards that. If I figure out a better system I will certainly post and perhaps my good enough performance in linux compared to stelar in windows, though for ethical and peraonal reasons I love linux a fuck load more, is based on my cpu. It is old, I won't deny that. I have one more thing to try but I don't think it will do anything and that is on board graphics being turned on. Again I don't think it will do anything but hey why not give it a shot.

Dunno if I can really help with this issue, not sure if I ever encountered it before. I did use several methods of blocking the standard radeon driver to ensure amdgpu was loading, luckily Ubuntu 16.04 came with AMDGPU & CK support enabled in the kernel so that wasn't a issue for me (otherwise you need to recompile your version of kernel with those settings flagged).

As for blocking the radeon or fglrx or whatever driver I used the normal blacklist file method AND boot command line methods (still not sure if that worked).

Anyway if that doesn't help at all then sorry. I'm avoiding Linux atm

are they perm mounted? Are there entries for the hdd in /etc/fstab or are they just mounted in nautilus/thunar/nemo?

Built a new HTPC this evening and thought I'd give LinuxMint 17.3 Mate a try. Last time I tried Mint out couldn't for the life of me get the Nic card to work. I also had herd Macro + Compton fixed the tearing issue. Well Compton seems better. Also tried Compiz, that looks better also. Could be just that it's 5am here know and my eyes are barely open. More testing in the morning, lol more like a few hours. Dam I hope I don't have to use this dam Windows machine much anymore, except for some lite gaming.

No entries in etc/fstab
This is where my limited knowledge in Linux will become apparent. Is perma mounting the HDD difficult?

not at all, when you add a extra drive to windows you get it auto-mounted as d: and it stays as d: for ever. However with linux everytime you reboot the machine only mounts, ie attaches the drive's contents, whats in /etc/fstab. so thats why i think your folders at going missing until you look at them in the file-browser. at which point your desktop goes and mounts them for you.

You need to add the drive to your /etc/fstab

sudo nano /etc/fstab

UUID=ea9a6900-f3b6-4b12-a781-1c093415d036 /home xfs defaults 0 0
I---------------------drive name-------------------------I I--folder--I I fstype I I-this works for most-I

so for UUID do, sudo blkid

/dev/sda1: UUID="ea9a6900-f3b6-4b12-a781-1c093415d036" TYPE="xfs" PARTUUID="0002d59c-01"

You want the UUID bit without the ""

/folder is the location you want the drive to appear /home/you/.steam

fstype is how you formated the drive, usually ext4 but might be something else.

the bit at the end is good for 99% of the universe.

you might have to get into the wacky world of "bind mount points" if you do reply back.

Hope this doesnt confuse the heck out of you.

this might be more of a help

Understanding of /etc/fstab file
1 Like

This is wonderful, thank you very much. I'll be trying this as soon as I get home today.

Hello everyone,

I'm totally new to Arch and Linux generally.

I'm trying to create a keyboard shortcut for thunar's bulk rename utility on nemo. I have already added the action.
As I was trying to add a keyboard shortcut and mistakenly executed sudo rm -r ~/.gnome2
(not sure if sudo was included) instead of a directory inside it.
I tried creating a new user, hoping it would have been restored, but that wasn't the case.
After that, I created both ~/.gnome2/accels/nemo and ~/.config/nemo/nemo and added:
(gtk_accel_path "/DirViewActions/Bulk Rename" "s") but this doesn't seem to work.

Also, is there a way to add Move to other pane action on thunar?

It worked! Thank you very much.

Currently trying to install steam through wine using this guide: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=19444
I keep on getting a bad substitution error when I trying to run this command: env WINEDEBUG="fixme-all" WINEPREFIX="${/home/jonathan/.wine/drive_c}" wine msiexec /i SteamInstall.msi
Help please?

don't do any guides. They are all stupid. Get the mewest wine you cand and open winecfg and get all the d3d packages, msv80-120 packages and ones with same numbers, dsound, dmusic, xinput packs, and maybe msxml packs.

Got all those packages, Now what should I do?

.....Install steam. Right click the client installer and open with wine

Thats where I got to originally, problem is that none of the text is showing up, this I began to try different ways. Hence the guides. The no text issue is still occurring.

Open regedit and do hkey_machine and then hkey_user. Go thru software valve steam, make a dwrite key named DWriteEnable and make the value 0. Done.

Sign in and play.

Command is: wine regedit

Thanks for that. Im still new to this whole linux thing

1 Like

Message me about wine stuff and old GPU's / CPU's. I'll help you out any time.

I'll probably need a bit more help in the future getting my games to play nicely with wine. Thanks

1 Like

How about this small problem....

Distro:
Antegros + Gnome
Hardware:
HP Envy 14 laptop  (2010 model)
i5-480m
4gb ram
840 Evo SSD
Using integrated graphics although it has ATI 5650 dedicated gpu
  1. Chromium and Chrome takes roughly 15 seconds to launch. Everything else seems to launch really quickly... IE: FireFox, Spotify, Terminal...

2. Clicking in the top bar and adjusting the volume freezing the machine for about 15 seconds.

I feel like this started out of the blue... It'd be hard for me to say it started after i did "X" because this laptop isn't used all the time... just for web browsing and Spotify if I am in the kitche / or in bed. (Other things to note: As I mentioned this didn't start right away with this install, but when I had previously installed Arch w/ Gnome I had the same issue right from the get go. Also, I'm not Linux savvy. Go easy on me.)

Run chromium in a terminal, and see if you get any error messages or so. If the output is too overwhelming, you could try chromium >/dev/null, which should only show any messages sent to STDERR.