The small linux problem thread

I like the plethora of packages Debian offers. From what I recall, Debian Testing and Ubuntu are of the same caliber?

Normally I run Fedora, but I had a hiccup on my (primary) workstation. I was planning on trying Ubuntu to see if the same hiccup happened, but got side tracked (Debian Testing). Forgot about my initial trek (until today, right now, when you criticized me :sob: ).

Moved to Solus in an attempt to repair my Debian install (Solus was already on a live USB). Just went ahead and installed it.

Iā€™ll typically rock Fedora or Solus (Arch if Iā€™ve stayed up past my bedtime) for reasons. Speaking from my experiences, Fedora handles Gnome a lot better than Debian or Ubuntu (I get the ungodly ā€œrunning a stop jobā€ very often on those, whereas I get it once upon first reboot on Fedora, and then never again).

PHP 7.x, Golang 10.x, and JDK 10 seems to run better on the later kernels, but that may just be because I use those more frequently than I do the Debian 4.9 or Ubuntu 4.(14?).

My CentOS boxes are on 4.18 now, so when I do something on Fedora itā€™s damn near close to how Iā€™m going to run it in production. Amazon Linux is its own thing, but CentOS is tweaked to our personality.

So, yeah, I tried Debian Testing because of the later kernel and abundance of packages (that may be an old setup, Iā€™ve not looked at Ubuntu versus Debian packages in a while. But Debianā€™s use to dwarf Ubuntu).

If that gets even close to answering your question o_o

For Clementineā€™s issue with playing/buffering .wma files, I tried installing the latest developer build to see if itā€™s been fixed.

The .rpm packages are only built for up to Fedora 26. I tried installing it anyways and it seems to depend on some older librariesā€¦

So I tried building from source instead. It fails to run. Apparently it requires building sqlite with some special flags for it to workā€¦ not really interested in doing that. What a pain.

Hopefully Solus works out.

If you find yourself in trouble again and want to try Ubuntu let me know. I can give some pointers of past experience.

FYI Ubuntu is basically debian in fancy clothes. AFAIK it has most if not all of the package repository. Debian 68k packages, Ubuntu 73k according to this.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Linux_distributions#Package_management_and_installation

Generally youā€™re going to get mfg/software support on ubuntu first. Updating the kernel is easy. I like to keep the old kernels installed so I can easily revert with a reboot and select the old kernel in grub menu. For instance sometimes new kernels wont play nice with nvidia until they update their driverā€¦

1 Like

Yeah, Iā€™m a huge fan, you can see my gushing (and not well received LOL) review below :wink:

Iā€™ll consider that the next time Iā€™m looking for a .deb/apt distro to install on the battlestation. I believe Iā€™m running on 2014(ish) knowledge (whenever Backbox started gaining popularity).

I need to evaluate AMD drivers versus Nvidia long term (on Linux). Right now, Iā€™ve been mostly happy with how it works on Linux.

Weā€™ll see how Solus works :crossed_fingers:

Without further adoā€¦

Iā€™ve been on Solus for about 9 months. Feel free to @ me if you run into any issues (caveat: AMD GPU).

Welcome to the future? (Idk, maybeā€¦)

1 Like

Itā€™s probably the first distro Iā€™ve been able to update and install software via the GUI. It still blows me away with how fun it is to use.

Installed RubyMine, IntelliJ, VS Code, and Google Chrome through the software manager (and it worked!)

Also super stoked that node, jdk, and Ruby was already installed. Just had to install Golang and vim and it was GO TIME GET REKT SON.

1 Like

It has Snap too, albeit not through the software GUI. I think it has flapak as well.

Use tilda for drop down terminal. It doesnā€™t have guake.

1 Like

Not your main problem, but thereā€™s an easy fix. In xorg.conf:

Section ā€œDeviceā€
Identifier ā€œAMD RX580ā€
Driver ā€œamdgpuā€
Option ā€œTearFreeā€ "true"
EndSection

1 Like

Sadly, TearFree and TripleBuffer (canā€™t recall the exact command) never worked for me, AMD or Nvidia.

Well, lies, I think it worked on Antergos. Other than that I saw no effect.

Iā€™ll have to buy a mid tower and see how it works as a standalone card these days. I used it for passthrough a while back, but other than that itā€™s not seen any action :frowning:

1 Like

@anon79053375 Thatā€™s too bad. It worked like a champ for my RX 580 on Fedora 28. The tearing was epilepsy inducing until I edited my xorg.conf (well actually I created 20-amdgpu.conf in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d.)

1 Like

[WARNING: anecdotal evidence unless noted otherwise, take with a grain of salt]
Just to contribute a bit, Iā€™m not too fond of Debian Testing.
Initially, the FAQ says that when a package on Testing breaks, it might stay a long time broken (see 3.1.5), while Unstable gets fixed swiftly. I then ended up suffering from the issue first-hand, when a package I needed to install was not available due to unmet dependencies, and some other package needed a more recent kernel version. I could not wait for those issues to be fixed because I needed those packages for a uni project, so I upgraded to Sid and, strangely (and happily) enough, Iā€™ve been having way less issues now. Actually, the only time an upgrade ā€œbrokeā€ my system was when upgrading from Buster to Sid: for some reason my graphics driver disappeared and had to install it through apt (my laptop uses AMD so that didnā€™t give me too much trouble).
As for kernel versions, Sid runs 4.17 and Ubuntu 18.04.1 is on 4.15 :slightly_smiling_face:, so, if youā€™re feeling adventurous, Sid might be a good fit for you (but I donā€™t have much experience with Nvidia, so that part might vary wildly.)

Also, Wayland really fuggin sucks ass, stay away.

1 Like

So, weird quirk. On reboot, I get insane lag on 144hz. I flick the mouse and there is a 3 to 5 second delay, then the mouse jumps. Typing is NOT impacted.

If I start Nvidia-Settings, the problem goes away. When I close Nvidia-Settings, the problem stays away. I lock my computer over night, put it to sleep, etc. The problem stays gone until the next reboot.

Iā€™ve looked at Nvidia settings and it doesnā€™t look like it starts a daemon or anything.

For now, I have a startup script that runs Nvidia settings, stores the pid in a variable, and kills it immediately. Havenā€™t tested it yet, because now I donā€™t want to reboot :grin:

Weird yeah?

Other monitors are fine.

Does it load a module, or change module settings?

Sounds like it could be a power control config change.

I donā€™t think so :thinking:

I can look tonight. I had to come into the office today :disappointed:

The settings save into xorg.conf, I made sure the file was correct.

1 Like

Have a look. Iā€™ll do some research, but all I can do is search. Your system really behaves oddly and Iā€™ve never seen this sort of thing.

(pssst, do a segment on the case of the odd PC on an upcoming rollbak)

Can you post complete system specs? Iā€™d like to see exactly what Iā€™m working with.

Also, is you GPU in the top x16 slot?

Funny you mention that, we just blasted on Twitter that weā€™re now a patron of Solus Project. I was going to do a bit about our inspiration and what not on Sundayā€™s intro. Might discuss my head scratching issues too :grin:

Sure, current weird issue system (this was Fedora Netinst, Debian Buster, and currently Solus)

Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI
Intel i7 4790k
16GB Crucial Ballistix 1600
EVGA Nvidia GTX 1080
Corsair K95
Corsair M65
Solus 3.9999
Budgie (system calls it Gnome 3.28.2)
Asus ROG 27" 1440p @ 144hz (the monitor with issues)

NOTE that my other system is near identical to do this one, with a newer Intel processor and 1080Ti, has run 95%-99% without issue on Fedora, it has a 1440p monitor at 60Hz.

I donā€™t know if G-Sync/144hz is causing my issues here or not, but I figure itā€™s worth mentioning.

1 Like

Thatā€™s because without certain hacks gnome system components they still rely on wonā€™t start up correctly.

hmmmmm BIOS up to date and all?

Have you thought about swapping monitors just to see?

1 Like

Interesting. Learn something new everyday :grin:

To be honest Iā€™ve not checked in a long timeā€¦ I can look into that tonight. Ugh. Hopefully itā€™s not one of those firmware updates that requires Windows :grimacing:

:man_facepalming:

Shows how long Iā€™ve been out of ā€œreal I.T.ā€. Jesus. No, I didnā€™t think of that :tired_face:

Add that to the list of things I need to do tonight.

2 Likes

Still testing things, but it looks like G-Sync is the issue. Even with it disabled in Nvidia settings it still happens on boot.

1 Like

Is it possible to update a docker container when a docker image is updated?

I have a container for phoronix test suiteā€™s (pts) docker image with a bunch of additional tests installed. There is a new pts version now, and I did a docker pull, but of course my existing container is still based on the old image. Can I avoid redownloading/reinstalling all the tests?