The small linux problem thread

That is their crash report telemetry, you can turn it off in the settings. Search for “data collection”.

1 Like

Apparently the trick to getting Ubuntu to install was the ‘nomodeset’ kernel parameter. Ubuntu handles Optimus better and I get 2.1 audio, so it’ll have to do.

1 Like

How to get clementine to play .wma files? It says gstreamer is missing a plugin. There’s an old issue+solution for Ubuntu, but what about on Fedora?

sudo dnf install gstreamer-ffmpeg

Thanks. I went on an package-installation spree involving all things ffmpeg or gstreamer, so I currently have that package installed.

Now, the error about gstreamer plugins is gone, but clementine get stuck on “Buffering 0%…” and usually doesn’t play the .wma files. Other files play fine.

It’s strange because at one point it did finish playing a non-wma file and automatically started playing one of the .wma files, but I wasn’t able to reproduce the behavior later. While it was playing the .wma file, attempting to skip through the file got it stuck on “Buffering 0%…” and it refused to play any more.

File a bug report with clementine and use something else would be my suggestion.

Well that’s not exactly a solution, but do you have suggestions for alternatives to clementine?

I’ve been using clementine for a long time and really like its features, layout, configurability.

Got a wma file that i could do some testing with?

hmm well is there a way to get it to you without running into file sharing issues?

But I can give you an example: the Windows (XP) welcome music is a .wma file (title.wma) that has this problem.

Btw, this problem is on Fedora 28. clementine on Ubuntu 16.04 played it fine.

1 Like

Can confirm this is a problem. Doesnt work on my install of fedora 28 either. Does play after a track ends.

@sceps best bet is either use a different distro or ask the devs what they think of the problem

1 Like

It’s that time of the month:

I give up :sob:

2 Likes

Stop using nvidia and yoi won’t have such stupid issues.

2 Likes

No thanks, I’d rather just use an operating system that works.

I basically have a windows machine and a linux machine. Right now two 32" monitors with Windows having 1 main display and half the other and Linux machine the other half. Synergy to control the Linux machine. Works for me and glad i settled on this setup for the time being. Wanting to get a third 144hz monitor for main windows display and give it another 32" monitor and then linux can have the other monitor.

Would be great of my Linux OS would boot once in a while. I get this problem, or similar to it, about once a month.

• Rage Quit
  • Rinse
  • Repeat

Times like these I’m sooooooo glad I don’t use NVIDIA!

But yeah - this shouldn’t be the experience one gets.

I’m in deep. Got three Nvidia and one AMD.

AMD just screen tears (which I find unacceptable), so I’ve used it for a passthrough. It’s been in the closet for a while, maybe I’ll bust it out and not be able to utilize my monitor’s capabilities or push games as hard o_o

Don’t know what to say. Think the open source driver will be more reliable but performance will probably suffer but haven’t been in the loop with NVIDIA.

This is the case.

I’m not sure this is even an Nvidia problem.

Trying to find a toxic free zone to get some troubleshooting in.

https://forum.level1techs.com/c/software/linux

2 Likes