The small linux problem thread

Installed over an old Ubuntu 14.04lts to 18.04lts with luks and was laggu, then debian w/o luks- still slower and laggy. Is it the meltdown and Spectre fixes? Currently at 4.17.0.

Makes me want to go back to an older kernel

Added nopti nospectre_v2 nospec to grub, soooooo much better.

Is it at all possible to take a VM thatā€™s in a raw img file and move it to a physical SSD so it looks like an actual install of Windows?

DD command

Thatā€™s what I figured. Iā€™ll try it in a while.

Getting this error

But this message goes away and you still successfully boot though, right?

Not having any luck transferring the image to the SSD.

I tired it with both the original image, which is quite a bit larger than the SSD, as well as a shrunk down version where I did qemu-img resize windows10pro.img 475G

I tried going through Disks, and doing a ā€œRestore Disk Imageā€ on the SSD, but that both took a very long time, as well as didnā€™t work.

The dd command I am using is this:
sudo dd if=/run/media/marasm/BulkStorage03/windows10pro.img of=/dev/sda bs=4M conv=noerror,sync status=progress

Everything I do I end up with a blank disk:

Not sure what Iā€™m doing wrong.

EDIT: So, apparently the SSD is actually bootable. I did it on bare metal as well as added it to the VM and booted to it. Still shows as being empty in Fedora, not sure why.

It takes a very long time to boot, though. Several minutes of spinning dots, then some kind of reboot and blank screen, then the login screen. Something isnā€™t right with it.

nope canā€™t even get into login screen

Oh, Iā€™ve gotten an error like that before, but it would still bootā€¦and Iā€™ve only seen it while I was trying out Arch.

1 Like

How/Why would your win10 install be under the /run directory?

2 Likes

Thatā€™s where I have the 8TB internal hard drive mounted to. And a couple 1TB drives are mounted like that too. Maybe Iā€™m doing that wrong? Been working fine for a while.

I donā€™t think this is causing your current problem, but mounting drives in /run Is very weird.

Here is the official spec on what goes where:

http://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/fhs.shtml

1 Like

Yeah, somewhere along the line my brain decided it was OK to mount my drives there. Thatā€™s the default location Fedora mounts external hard drives, soā€¦ I just went with it. Iā€™ll mount the internal drives to mnt from now on.

Not sure whatā€™s going on with the imaged SSD, though. I remember shrinking img files for VMs before, and I think I recall having to do something else besides qemu-img resize. The file system may be corrupted. Just imaging the image to the SSD may not be enough, need to fix the mbr or boot partition or something?

Really? I wonder what specifically is mounting it there and whyā€¦

If these are storage drives that you want owned by your user, you should mount them in your home directory.

Dunno. I just installed my desktop fresh (which, coincidentally, is why I am rebuilding my VM setup), and I just tried plugging in a couple external drives and they mounted in the same place as previous. /run/media/ā€¦

Interesting. May look into it. Would that cause issues if I store VM images there?

Which DE and what filesystem on the drives?

Gnome, ntfs

That really seems wrong to me, but Iā€™m sure thereā€™s some rational explanation. Wish I knew why. My guess is that Gnome is doing it but I could be wrong.

ā€”

Oh, NTFS. Maybe itā€™s a fuse thing. @SgtAwesomesauce do you know why itā€™s mounting under /run?

Does it with USB flash drives too. Reformatted it to ext4 and it still mounted there.