The small linux problem thread

I think I remember reading something about nomodeset also needing to be disabled.

Do you get any errors in you X.org log?

Where would I find that. Also unless I have nomodeset on my gpu fan ramp up and nothing happens

I know it works on a 370 phoronix did tests with one

~/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log or Xorg.0.log.old

Neother seem to exist. Maybe I am to look in root? :D

Edit: If anyone else has an idea please shout it out.

Edit2: If this is a kde system lets say, with some wayland use, would that be a problem. Or at least there is a package called kwayland. Maybe not the same thing?

Edit3: There is a vulkan folder. I don't know if thatbis helpful or not.

Edit4: There is a file in my home called xsession-errors. Is that what I should be looking for? I'm going to see.

Edit5: At the end of xsession-errors is a line saying "X connection to 0: broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)". But I think this is when I last rebooted with X

try running startx first? I don't think Wayland has fully replaced X yet, though I might be wrong.

1 Like

It wants to load the ati module but failed. Modesetting loaded. fbdec didn't load. vesa didn't load. It says vesa doesn't exist.

Fatal error no screens found.

?

Edit: also noticed open acpi failed

Random stupid questions:

Did you use mhwd to configure the drivers?

Did you uninstall the other drivers when you installed the amdgpu drivers?

Is xf86-video-amdgpu installed?

Aall but the last one yes. The last one I would think mhwd would do for me? At that my machine isn't on the net now and I don't know how to do it without wifi-menu from cli. I learned once but never used it. I'm in arch.

Haha, I had to figure out the same thing when figuring out my problem. If NetworkManager is running, you can configure your network using nmcli, something like nmcli dev wifi connect [SSID] password [password]

Somehow this shit wasn't installed package wise. Ok then.

nmcli or the Xorg drivers?

The xorg packages. Though I revooted to a black screen again. Going to try with nomodeset again.

Edit: Nope.

Wellll crap. Not even an alt tty?

I can get to a tty yeah I just have to do it super duper early

Edit: my hard drive keeps at max rpm at the black nothingness screen. Weird. No wait I think thats gpu fans. They sound similar.

Did installing the xorg drivers change anything? What can you find for xorg logs, startx? You can also try journalctl | grep amdgpu to see what sort of mania is going on

http://ix.io/Blj

theres the output. No change in logs near as I can tell.

Gunn take a breaknfor a half hour

Edit: poked mhwd and it said ati was installed.

Seems like the main issue from those logs is the VGACON error, which according to Google is because nomodeset is on. So ... I don't know what else the problem could be at this point. Did you remove the ati drivers?

No clue how tp do that. Is the package xf86-vodeo-ati?

You should be able to do that through mhwd. mhwd -li lists it? do mhwd -r video-ati

1 Like

Will do when I get insode from the barn