The small linux problem thread

When you say on of the above do you mean this? I do not know how to change /etc/profile, I have put the export commands there and also this command

[[ -f ~/.profile ]] && . ~/.profile to .bashrc to help .profile to be picked.

I do not know how to do a wrapper script.

UPDATE: I have appended /usr/local/texlive/2018/bin/x86_64-linux/ before the commands in TexStudio and it works. But it is not the right way, because Okular for instance cannot sync with TexStudio that way.
At first I tried puting $PATH instead of typing the full path and the output error of TeXstudio did not show the correct path. But when I type echo $PATH in terminal it returns the correct path. (By saying correct path I mean the default path but with an extra location of the latex installation at the beginning).

A wrapper script would look something like this:

#!/bin/bash
export PATH=/usr/local/texlive/2018/bin/x86_64-linux:$PATH
export MANPATH=/usr/local/texlive/2018/texmf-dist/doc/man:$MANPATH
export INFOPATH=/usr/local/texlive/2018/texmf-dist/doc/info:$INFOPATH
/path/to/texstudio

You place that in /usr/local/bin and chmod +x it, naming it whatever you want. From there, update the .desktop in /usr/share/applications/ for texstudio to call this script.

1 Like

Thank you, I think I have a better understanding now. Any recommendations of where I can read more about these operations in linux?

I donā€™t have any good resources off the top of my head, but research topics would include the following:

• how the unix path variable works
  • how environment variables work in graphical interfaces
  • filesystem heirarchy standard and where different files belong.
1 Like

Thank you that is what I was looking for, you have been very helpful.

UPDATE: I have put the following into ~/.bash_profile and everything works fine now.

export PATH=/usr/local/texlive/2018/bin/x86_64-linux:$PATH
export MANPATH=/usr/local/texlive/2018/texmf-dist/doc/man:$MANPATH
export INFOPATH=/usr/local/texlive/2018/texmf-dist/doc/info:$INFOPATH

Iā€™m having an issue setting up ā€œshared foldersā€ with virtualbox. Iā€™m using Manjaro KDE and have made a windows 10 VM and I want to shared my 4TB drive with the VM (cuz games) the folder it set to read only and refuses to change. any ideas?

also I cant add my steam library in manjaro either as it says it needs Executable rights, when it looks like it has themā€¦

hiya folks, I got another question/issue

is there a way to resize screen resolution in linux (via Nvidia settings) like there is in windows? in windows I can check the box ā€œresize desktopā€ and it will bring up arrows in all 4 corners of screen and slide bars to resize to fit screen.

Is there a way under linux to do this?

thanks

Thanks again, guys, for suggesting disabling selinux. I mean, Iā€™d rather not, but it allows lxc to work. Kinda sucky, but whatever.

So, setting up a Fedora container apparently does a super duper minimal install, which has absolutely nothing in it. No dnf, no sudo, no man, nothing. What do? Or, maybe Iā€™m just not understanding the purpose of what I am doing? Or, I just have no idea in general and I should do some more research.

It seems like a lot of my questions lately are sort of out of the scope of a ā€œsmall linux problemā€ and more into the ā€œlarger, more complex linux problemā€ sort of territory. Hmm.

Look at /usr/share/lxc/templates/lxc-fedora

The package list is:

PKG_LIST=ā€œyum initscripts passwd rsyslog vim-minimal openssh-server openssh-clients dhclient chkconfig rootfiles policycoreutils fedora-releaseā€

No dnf in there and yum is deprecated.

1 Like

You may have to run a samba service and mount the drive over localhost. What type of filesystem is on the 4TB drive?

Yeah, adding dnf to that line totally installs dnf in the container. Super cool.

Also, I just spent a bunch of time going through that file. Wow. Lots of comments and thereā€™s an rsync command linking to Fedora 20. May be out of date? Hence the reliance on yum I guess.

Centos works fine, though. Ubuntu threw some errors and didnā€™t install. But now I know I can go into the templates and make changes. Cool.

Now to figure out networking. Maybe later this weekend.

1 Like

It looks like itā€™s similar to docker, add a veth to a bridge, then use NAT to route that to the internet.

Thereā€™s this interesting gist here: https://gist.github.com/michel-zimmer/c8e2692d45c41cce083764dfe3e13795

He is using the swarm feature with LXC.

My goal is to have the container(s) accessible from the local LAN (fixed IP) as well as have internet access. Torrent and clonedeploy.

Iā€™ve set up layer 3 routing on a bridge using quagga w/docker, but a NAT is much easier. There is also the macvlan stuff. I havenā€™t tried that.

NAT/macvlan/bridging with libvirt/virt-manager was very frustrating for me. Thatā€™s sort of why I started down the lxc route, to see if I can do it a bit easier and also use less host resources.

My STH write up is here: https://github.com/injinj/sonic-on-arista-7050qx32/blob/master/arista.adoc

Itā€™s mainly about running SoNIC, but thereā€™s some quagga setup in there. Itā€™s not a very professional setup, but it was fun to explore.

I can confirm that BTRFS was causing my memory leak issue. Almost the exact same setup as last time and no leaks :smiley:

1 Like

I can confirm that BTRFS was causing my memory leak issue. Almost the exact same setup as last time and no leaks :smiley:

Was thinking about trying out BTRFS but every time I see something like this - NOPE!

Whatā€™s odd is Iā€™m running a similar software setup as @Dje4321 and itā€™s not leaking for me.

it was NTFS as im working on moving from windows 10 to manjaro. I changed the FS to ext4 and that seemed to fix my issue, thanks for your reply, i did some more digging after I posted and found out that people are heaving issue with virtualbox properly mounting ntfs drives when your host is linux based.

1 Like