Return to Level1Techs.com

The small linux problem thread

linux
helpdesk

Just a quick one for you guys
OS is Ubuntu 18.04 with whatever latest Nvidia drivers from the additional repo are.

I want to enable dynamic resolution, I have a 1080ti getting bored just playing at 1080p on what I call my quality monitor.
Additionally I have a G-Sync monitor, is G-Sync enabled by default on Ubuntu in full screen? or do I need to use Nvidia-settings?

Many Thanks

Nah, I have one. This is a proprietary kickstarter.

Reasons I don’t use RHEL.

I think it was just a bug telling me it was, it isn’t.

Yeah, I got that much. Thanks for giving me a moment of hope.

Back to dispair…

Anyone have any idea what might be going on? Can only run blender in software-gl mode :frowning:

Happens with both the distro build of blender and the offical linux build of blender

[email protected]:Blender:$ ./blender
found bundled python: /home/dje4321/Programs/Blender/2.79/python
: CommandLine Error: Option 'enable-value-profiling' registered more than once!
LLVM ERROR: inconsistency in registered CommandLine options

fpaste --sysinfo output
https://paste.fedoraproject.org/paste/Co38Bnf2mcHtD1tv~2h1qw

Fedora 28 documentation mentions to install the X11 package group for X11 forwarding with

dnf group install “X Window System”

but this group doesn’t seem to exist for me??

$ sudo dnf group install “X Window System”
Last metadata expiration check: 1:35:52 ago on Fri 13 Jul 2018 09:52:57 PM EDT.
Warning: Module or Group ‘X Window System’ does not exist.
Error: Nothing to do.

Having audio problems with mics. My levels exist according to pavucontrol, but no app gets any audio pickup. In ubuntu 18.04, using xfce.

Alright, so I’m trying to run a VM with a radeon hd 5450 passed through to the VM. Using QEMU/KVM and virtual machine manager on Arch. I can get a VM to run without trying to pass any graphics card through, but it’s really slow, moving windows around lags a lot, you know what I mean. That’s one issue.

I’ve got IOMMU working (I think) and I gave the VM the 5450 through the virtual machine manager options. When I try to run the VM with the card passed through to it, it doesn’t run at all, won’t start up. VMM freezes up, then when it recovers it says “QEMU/KVM - Not Connected.” I’ve been restarting to fix that.

When I try to make a new VM and give it the card while setting up the VM’s options, it gets stuck when making the VM’s virtual disk.

Anybody know what I’m doing wrong? Because I haven’t done anything with linux since December and even then I was in over my head. Thanks guys

I’ve got IOMMU working (I think) and I gave the VM the 5450 through the virtual machine manager options.

Do you also have the card isolated using VFIO? If not, you stick options vfio-pci ids= then PCI IDs in/etc/modprobe.d/vfio.conf

When I type lspci i get

Summary

00:00.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 15h (Models 30h-3fh) Processor Root Complex
00:00.2 IOMMU: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 15h (Models 30h-3fh) I/O Memory Management Unit
00:02.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1424
00:02.1 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1425
00:03.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1424
00:03.1 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 15h (Models 30h-3fh) Processor Root Port
00:03.3 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 15h (Models 30h-3fh) Processor Root Port
00:04.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1424
00:10.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH USB XHCI Controller (rev 09)
00:10.1 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH USB XHCI Controller (rev 09)
00:11.0 SATA controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 40)
00:12.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH USB OHCI Controller (rev 11)
00:12.2 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH USB EHCI Controller (rev 11)
00:13.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH USB OHCI Controller (rev 11)
00:13.2 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH USB EHCI Controller (rev 11)
00:14.0 SMBus: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH SMBus Controller (rev 16)
00:14.2 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH Azalia Controller (rev 01)
00:14.3 ISA bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH LPC Bridge (rev 11)
00:14.4 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH PCI Bridge (rev 40)
00:14.5 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH USB OHCI Controller (rev 11)
00:15.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Hudson PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 0)
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 15h (Models 30h-3fh) Processor Function 0
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 15h (Models 30h-3fh) Processor Function 1
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 15h (Models 30h-3fh) Processor Function 2
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 15h (Models 30h-3fh) Processor Function 3
00:18.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 15h (Models 30h-3fh) Processor Function 4
00:18.5 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 15h (Models 30h-3fh) Processor Function 5
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation G92 [GeForce 9800 GT] (rev a2)
02:00.0 USB controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VL805 USB 3.0 Host Controller (rev 01)
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Qualcomm Atheros Killer E220x Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 13)
05:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Cedar [Radeon HD 5000/6000/7350/8350 Series]
05:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Cedar HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5400/6300/7300 Series]

00:15.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Hudson PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 0)
05:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Cedar [Radeon HD 5000/6000/7350/8350 Series]
05:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Cedar HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5400/6300/7300 Series]
Those devices are all in the same IOMMU group 10. So are the 05:00.0 parts the PCI IDs? And would I go ahead and put all of those in the vfio.conf?

If they are all in the same group, then yes do put all of those in vfio.conf.

The 05:00.0 is the address of the GPU. You can find the IDs with lspci -nn, they are in the format xxxx:xxxx, and AMD products are 1002:xxxx I think.

After you make changes vfio.conf or any modprobe config, update your initramfs and grub and reboot for changes to take effect. You can check if the devices are using VFIO with lspci -k

error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies):: removing hunspell-es breaks dependency 'hunspell-es' required by antergos-common-meta

got this error, not sure if anyone else got it as well, but here’s the solution I found to fix it

sudo pacman -Rdd hunspell-es

think -Rdd releases /removes the package?
after removing hunspell I was able to update it
anyway I got it from this thread, which had a different dependency issue, but method works

Other issue I solved

archlinux.us-central.mirror.zoidplex.net : Failed to connect to archlinux.us-central.mirror.zoidplex.net port 80: No route to host
sudo nano /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

then looked for the mirror in the nano file, and deleted it from the list.

just decided to post it so that if anyone on the internet has the same issue they can quickly find a solution

Maybe not the appropriate place to ask, but I am at a point where I simply don’t know what to Google to find what I want.

How do you register a link to open with a specific program? For example you can share a Slack url (slack://{slack url goes here}), and when you click on it your system asks “Would you like to open slack links with slack?”

I am writing a linux command line tool with a buddy, and it would be neat if we could send links to eachother that makes the tool perform a specific action.

How do you do that? What registers “this url” can be opened with “this program?”

Might you have tried xdg-open?

duckduckgo search of “open url in program cli” led me to

Might prompt for a choice of programs?
might not stick, so I guess might prompt every time?
[edit:]
Other desktop environments may have alternatives, like gnome-open, as per:

https://www.dwheeler.com/essays/open-files-urls.html

It is dependent on the DE and/or WM. If you DE/WM implements the XDG extensions and Open Desktop standards., then you would target that group of Libraries. KDE and Gnome implement these by default.

Addition to this issue.
It turned out that there was a certain bug with this particular kernel.
Ubuntu allready seem to have pulled that said kernel back.
Temporary fix was to roll back to the previous .23 kernel.

You’d think they’d have caught that in their testing…

Thanks for the tip.

I ended up finding what I needed here, which works with xdg like you mentioned.

I have my little app working locally, now I just need to repeat for Windows and Mac. Ill make that someone else’s problem though.

Glad it worked out for you and thanks for the link.