The small linux problem thread

SE + DXVK will run better, but you will want the latest amdgpu-dc drivers from Oibaf for ubuntu/debian and kernel 4.16+

DXVK is for directx11 games only, which is why you only benefit with it on skyrim-se, trust me oldrim is trash now.

Set DXVK_HUD=1 and you will get some on screen feedback if it works (there are other settings also such as memory etc… check the github.

As for wine patch have a look here, any wine 3.9 staging with those patch files applied is good to go, there is bound to be some around for your platform (I just arch so compile most things myself).

Linux can be a drag sometimes because the latest and greatest is very often NOT default with any distro, you must dig around and apply all the updates and patches yourself. What I recommend is just keep a record of everything you do and install like this so you can easily repeat the steps further down the line, or for resolving issues.

PS. If you were under ARCH I could provide you will a compiled package file for Wine, but I’m going to guess, ubuntu (oibaf link is ubuntu only). Also learn howto use Lutris, it looks boring on the outside but is quite useful!

Actually I’m on Fedora 28. It’s a new world to me since I’ve been using Debian for years. So a PPA won’t help me, unfortunately. I’m also on wine staging 3.8.

I set the HUD variable, and I got the DXVK readout in Skyrim SE, so I know that’s working. However, I installed Fallout 4, dropped the DX11 dlls in the same folder as the executable, and I just get a black screen when I launch the game. Curious that SE works and FO4 fails. I believe they’re pretty similar versions of the Gamebryo engine.

But I don’t want to hijack this thread. I’ll start a new one if I need further help.

OMG Ubuntu. Not the site, I mean “OH MY FUCKING GOD, UBUNTU!”

Banging my head against creating a bridged network. I’ve done it 100 times on Debian and RedHat. Legit sat there questioning everything I’ve done the past 10 years to get to this point in my life.

You have to reboot the fucking server. What a joke.

Automated the rest. Currently on VM 9 of 14 installing lol.

2 Likes

You could also do:

sudo systemctl restart networking
1 Like

Nope, failed. Everytime. journalctl -xe said cannot start br0

status networking said br0 doesn’t exist. Tried ifdown and ifup, nothing. Tweaked and hacked for an hour.

Reboot and it worked. I confirmed the settings that I did a reboot with were the same I had with systemctl restart networking

Interesting. Didn’t know that bridges could be so finicky. Are you using Linux or ovs bridges?

Linux :wink:

Ah, that’s probably why.

Yeah, all gravy. It’s working now and I got Fedora Security Labs setup with nVidia drivers and CKB Next lol. Ain’t even mad anymore

1 Like

Stupid question: how do you add repositories in Fedora? Specifically the RPM Sphere repo in this case.

The documentation says to use dnf config-manager --add-repo repository_url but I don’t have the repository_url.

RPM Sphere repo says “Install “rpmsphere-release” package to add this repository.” https://build.opensuse.org/project/show/home:zhonghuaren# but that package is not found by dnf

rpmsphere-release package is found on this site: https://fedora.pkgs.org/28/rpm-sphere/rpmsphere-release-27-1.1.noarch.rpm.html but do I have to manually download and install it? Also it’s labelled for Fedora 27 even though it’s listed for 28… and it has repo config instructions which reference a non-existent directory (/etc/dnf.repos.d)… plus has an incomplete URL in the Howto… and then references a different repo directory below that section… !!@#$!@

Please tell me it’s not this convoluted.

I have a problem on my Fedora 28: I was trying to install CH340G driver for the “NodeMCU Arduino Clone”. Anyway the folder has the normal .c files with the one Makefile. So I do the normal make command to install and I get this:

make -C /lib/modules/4.16.15-300.fc28.x86_64/build  M=/home/alphazero1990/Downloads/CH340G-master/ch340g  
make[1]: *** /lib/modules/4.16.15-300.fc28.x86_64/build: No such file or directory.  Stop.
make: *** [Makefile:5: default] Error 2

Have a feeling this was doing even before I upgraded.

do you have your kernel headers installed?

1 Like

I tried kernel-header-devel because kernel-header was already installed. Then I had to install elfutils-libelf-devel. I think the make program runs now. Thanks of helping.
But I got a slew of… things when it tried to install. At this point I think they are driver specific and don’t expect anything but if anybody is interested the output:

make -C /lib/modules/4.16.15-300.fc28.x86_64/build  M=/home/alphazero1990/Downloads/CH340G-master/ch340g  
make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/src/kernels/4.16.15-300.fc28.x86_64'
  CC [M]  /home/alphazero1990/Downloads/CH340G-master/ch340g/ch34x.o
/home/alphazero1990/Downloads/CH340G-master/ch340g/ch34x.c: In function ‘ch34x_close’:
/home/alphazero1990/Downloads/CH340G-master/ch340g/ch34x.c:553:2: error: unknown type name ‘wait_queue_t’; did you mean ‘wait_event’?
  wait_queue_t wait;
  ^~~~~~~~~~~~
  wait_event
/home/alphazero1990/Downloads/CH340G-master/ch340g/ch34x.c:560:24: error: passing argument 1 of ‘init_waitqueue_entry’ from incompatible pointer type [-Werror=incompatible-pointer-types]
  init_waitqueue_entry( &wait, current );
                        ^~~~~
In file included from ./include/linux/mmzone.h:10,
                 from ./include/linux/gfp.h:6,
                 from ./include/linux/slab.h:15,
                 from /home/alphazero1990/Downloads/CH340G-master/ch340g/ch34x.c:21:
./include/linux/wait.h:79:66: note: expected ‘struct wait_queue_entry *’ but argument is of type ‘int *’
 static inline void init_waitqueue_entry(struct wait_queue_entry *wq_entry, struct task_struct *p)
                                         ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^~~~~~~~
/home/alphazero1990/Downloads/CH340G-master/ch340g/ch34x.c:561:36: error: passing argument 2 of ‘add_wait_queue’ from incompatible pointer type [-Werror=incompatible-pointer-types]
  add_wait_queue( &tty->write_wait, &wait );
                                    ^~~~~
./include/linux/wait.h:150:86: note: expected ‘struct wait_queue_entry *’ but argument is of type ‘int *’
 extern void add_wait_queue(struct wait_queue_head *wq_head, struct wait_queue_entry *wq_entry);
/home/alphazero1990/Downloads/CH340G-master/ch340g/ch34x.c:565:5: error: implicit declaration of function ‘signal_pending’; did you mean ‘timer_pending’? [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
     signal_pending(current) || port->serial->disconnected )
     ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~
     timer_pending
/home/alphazero1990/Downloads/CH340G-master/ch340g/ch34x.c:572:39: error: passing argument 2 of ‘remove_wait_queue’ from incompatible pointer type [-Werror=incompatible-pointer-types]
  remove_wait_queue( &tty->write_wait, &wait );
                                       ^~~~~
./include/linux/wait.h:152:89: note: expected ‘struct wait_queue_entry *’ but argument is of type ‘int *’
 extern void remove_wait_queue(struct wait_queue_head *wq_head, struct wait_queue_entry *wq_entry);
/home/alphazero1990/Downloads/CH340G-master/ch340g/ch34x.c: In function ‘wait_modem_info’:
/home/alphazero1990/Downloads/CH340G-master/ch340g/ch34x.c:733:3: error: implicit declaration of function ‘interruptible_sleep_on’ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
   interruptible_sleep_on( &priv->delta_msr_wait );
   ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
make[2]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:331: /home/alphazero1990/Downloads/CH340G-master/ch340g/ch34x.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [Makefile:1565: _module_/home/alphazero1990/Downloads/CH340G-master/ch340g] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/kernels/4.16.15-300.fc28.x86_64'
make: *** [Makefile:5: default] Error 2

Anyone a Badass with LXCs & LCDs, and willing to coach over PMs?

it should just be kernel-devel for your headers

I wouldnt call myself a badass, but if you’re having trouble with something, I can probably help.

2 Likes

Lol reminds me of

Anyone know why Arch hates virtualization? And users, for that matter?

Ncurses5 is missing!

Pulls ncurses5 from AUR, and it installs ncurses6

Ncurses5 is missing!

Links ncurses6 to ncurses5

Ncurses5 is missing!

Installs Debian

Everything works!

Posts to The Small Linux problem thread

Resentful Edit:

Well, VirtualBox works fine, just VMware that I’m having issues with. I suppose this will work.

OMG Sorry mistyped. That’s the one yes. kernel-devel.

Before you install something from AUR it pays to goto the source website and read the comments, solutions often posted.

That’s because it’s Arch. Arch is for masochists…

Ive moved on to hopeless depression. (Fedora)

2 Likes