The small linux problem thread

Rufus? I'll have to check that out. Cheers!

I had to disable something called safe boot and then instruct the bios to load from the usb drive first. I already knew about telling it to boot from usb first but that safe boot thing was in a different tab. Thanks again! I got it working and I made a Kali drive with persistent storage. (not sure if I said that last sentence right)

Awesome, glad your issue is resolved! Happy Linuxing!

Here's a solution to a small annoying problem:

Ubuntu hates ATH9K wireless cards. Mine won't work in N mode. Anyone else have this problem? I'm using Ethernet for the time being because I hate wireless G with a passion.

what kernel you using? @K4KFH

@Miguel_Sensacion 3.19.0-51-generic is what uname -r says. I'm running Ubuntu, though I don't recall if it's 15.04 or 14.04 off the top of my head. I want to say 15.04. Either way I will be upgrading to 16.04LTS here very soon.

sometimes it helps to have a newer kernel...

I know it's quite old post but I think it will be useful to somebody and to you obviously!

This reminds me a similar I've had with nuvolaplayer3, but it's not the programs fault it's related to pulseaudio configuration.

Open a terminal:

sudo gedit /etc/pulse/daemon.conf

or whatever cli or gui text editor you prefer

And find that line: "flat-volumes=yes"

make sure is set to: "flat-volumes=no"

kill pulseaudio and enable it again:

pulseaudio -k && pulseaudio

Let me know if it works for you!

It worked for me! :)

This is a noobish question but how is the best way to go about getting that?

On Ubuntu, you could go to the software center or Synaptic and get a kernel upgrade I believe... I'm on Fedora so it's much different

It seemed to be caused by teakspeak when it was set to use pulseaudio and not alsa, I'll give what you tried a shot though as it makes sense.

I've just completed a new build using an AS Rock Z170 Extreme7+ and was getting an error every boot "Intel Lan Mac addresses are invalid in both CMOS and Flash". LAN was working perfectly, but I had to press F1 multiple times on every boot.

As Rock have a utility that you can install onto a dos boot disk which allows you to change the Mac address at the BIOS level. This was easy enough to create using Rufus in windows, and it worked fine, but it got me thinking, is there a way to do this without using a dos/windows application?

I could change it in Terminal using ifconfig, but his only lasted until a reboot, so didn't solve the problem. Editing /etc/network/interfaces didn't help either, as the error appeared before they were loaded.

Any ideas for future reference?

have you tried in nvidia-settings and setting manually the correct res and refresh of your monitor?

2 Likes

screen tearing is a big issue for me also, but only on the secondary monitors. Setting the v-sync to my main fixes the issue there, but to truly fix it i have to do some extra stuff. two ways i have found

1. the simple way - i am in the middle of compiling something so i can't check it yet, but this may also fix it.
    i have found http://askubuntu.com/questions/450593/how-do-i-eliminate-screen-tearing-on-14-04-and-xbmc-with-nvidia-331

2. my way i used to use - compton (composing manager or something)

sudo apt-get install compton

i then have this run at startup

compton -cCGb --config /home/<user name>/.config/compton.conf

and in the compton.conf file

backend = "xrender";

a pain in the butt to get setup but has worked well for me, though my transparent terminals no longer showed the desktop background but the windows underneath it.

Sorry for the very late reply Shelly. Thanks but this was one of the first things I tried.

Thanks Glop. I will have to try this the next time I feel like digging into this problem again.

Need some help. I'm trying to work on a wineDB entry that I don't think anyone else really cares for all too much but I can't see the window, its all black :U

There a reason for this?

Super stupid question, but does anyone know how to change font colors in i3blocks? I set color=#93a1a1 in both the global properties and under each block but it won't change from white. Can post pics of the config file if needed.