The small linux problem thread

Actually is there a reason the radeon driver would stall?

I don't think it has a 15.10 port yet. The kernel is a massive step up so it might be a few days.

I am having the issue where when i boot up my computer i get a waiting to initialize the network message. any clue how to stop this. adds a good minute to boot time.

Ya, I did read somewhere that it isn't ported yet, but is it possible to somehow use old one?

Couldn't you compile that package from source? Its a small package, so in theory it should not take too long.

Is this a new problem? You could try using an older wifi driver version.

no it is not. only started when i configured wifi.

My problem is that since I have nvidia optimus. Using multiple monitors is really finnicky, it disables all my extensions and boots me to my logs me off if im logged in. And if I have it plugged in while booting, my computer goes to a blank screen where I can only access teletop terminals.

Not really. They have to make the changes to the package for it mounting to the kernel. You could try to compile and older package but it will never mount to the kernelmod system correctly.

Or at least stuff like this never went well for me by some fluke or chance and that's just my understanding of it..

1 Like

Never use conky with outdated libraries. Else conky will report about double your ram usage, which is not fun. I am using conky from LEAP and libraries from 13.1.

Hi all,

I cannot connect wirelessly on this new laptop I purchased which is running Ubuntu 14.04.

Additional Information:

~$ lscpci -nn|grep 0280

2:00.0 Network controller [0280]:  Broadcom Corporation Device
[14e4:43ae] (rev 02)

Even more information:

~$ lscpic | less

Near the bottom: 02:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation Device 43ae (rev 02)

Not sure the command to get this thing wirelessly connected.

UPDATE: Dang this wireless card might be a known bug aka it's not supported yet. :(

Can anyone suggest a wireless card that works for Linux?

I thought the same, but Aremis already answered it, so I guess, no.

Thanks, i guess wait if ever got ported to 15.10, since most likely it will be done for 16.04, and we are half-way to it, so yeah.

Got a 370, super duper psyched, but not impressed with performance. Its working about as well as my 250X did. I know my cpu is not the bottleneck so I have to assume it is a driver issue.

I like manjaro and use it as a desktop deployment of arch. I can use the newest AMD Driver or AMDGPU with the newest kernel available. Since I need to redo drives soon anyways I thought hey, I'll get everything resolved all at once!

I need to know what the performance difference is between fglrx in ubuntu and the newer versions of fglrx compared to using AMDGPU. I don't really know where to look though and I was hoping that someone would have an answer here.

@FaunCB Have a look through the countless AMDGPU/Radeon performance tests Michael posted on phoronix - I'm pretty sure you should find some "what performance to expect" answers in there.

1 Like

My thread was merged with this one

You may have an interest in Linux for many reasons. You might also be smashing your head against the wall because your employer is switching to a free (gratis) software model. Either way, here we are. I want this thread to be a place where any and all can post their Linux related questions and concerns. Once you post a question or issue a knowledgeable person can easily find you and help you.

Here are the guidelines. If you ask a question that requires a short answer the answering party can just simply post a response on the thread. If it is a lengthy response, just make a new thread or initiate a personal message and handle the issue from there. Assuming it is not information that will easily get one in trouble I suggest displaying the conversation to the public. If what you are talking about could get someone in trouble, talk about that stuff in a personal message.

I'll start.

I have used Linux live via usb to test out Mint, and Ubuntu. I am now trying to test out Kali. I can't get it to work on the flash drive. I am using the same flash drive that I used to test Mint and Ubuntu. Why won't Kali work the same way? I'm using the http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/
but its not working. Let's all keep in mind that this is about getting an active community going, not making myself a target for "just google it!".

Have you attempted to reflash the drive and give it a second try? In case the first write was bad or something. Also check and make sure your BIOS allows USB device to boot! Won't believe how many times that caught me off guard.

Yeah, I'm on my fourth try. For my computer lab I have a cheap ASUS laptop with Windows 8.1 installed and I made a partition for whatever Linux distro I decide to start using regularly.

The Bios on this thing is not what I'm used to. When I was testing Linux mint and ubuntu it was on a different machine. The flash drive I'm using is a usb 2.0 from micro center (I believe it's a Kingston) should I use a specific format? Ex-fat ntfs etc?

It's possible UEFI is getting in the way. Look around for an option to disable UEFI or to enable Legacy boot devices. Then give it another shot.

1 Like

I always use rufus to create my usb drives. maybe try that program instead. That new laptop may have a secure boot or something long those lines and it will not let you do anything else but have windows run, IIRC this was a big fuss when windows 8.1 came about. See if there is something like that and if you can disable it, it would be a setting in the bios.

1 Like

Awesome! Thank you! If I encounter more issues I'll copy this conversation and repost it here [example of a thread] and I'll include an @Nomaran in my new thread.

See folks, it's just that easy.