The small linux problem thread

Gnome Tweak Tool -> Extension -> Disable Hot corners.
The Gnome Tweak Tool also allows you to play with themes keyboard short cuts. Crack it open.

You can also download extensions from here if your distro does not provide them.
https://extension.gnome.org

Hi Guys. Thanks a lot for the good tip.

Gnome tweak tool solved my initial question: in the Appearance tab there is an ā€œAnimationsā€ option, which you can turn off. That helps a bit with the poor graphics performance of the weakly T7100 :smiley:

Sorry Warrior; I canā€™t find the option you mention in the Extensions tab of the GnomeTweakTool

I am not on my computer right now so I may have give the wrong name.

If you go to the extensions website, there should be an extension called ā€œNoMoreCornersā€. If it is compatible with your version of Gnome, installing that one will remove the hot corner.

Using xinit, is there a way of forcing an application to be run in full screen?

The application in question does not have a switch for fullscreen, and the pi0w does not like desktop environments very much.

Could run the application in its own X session

Thanks for the input!

Yes, but when I do, it doesnā€™t occupy the entire screen, only whatever dimensions the program decides is default until I manually set it to fullscreen. Which doesnā€™t do anything, since thereā€™s no window manager there to handle it.

Thinking more closely about it, I should just probably run an even more lightweight window manager and call it a night. Forcing the application to strech to fullscreen without there actually existing an option to tell the application to do it has to require some ugly hack or another. Better to find a wm which doesnā€™t have alot of bells and whistles.

i3 does just that, it stretches absolutely everything to fullscreen whether the window wanted it or not, win+f or alt+f (or whatever config you set up) will remove the window bars and paint over the dmenu.

1 Like

I finally figured out how to get the stupid tablet to boot a Windows 10 USB. Just bashing my head against the wall for hours. Finally it dawned on me: The original Windows 10 was 32-bit. So I used the media creation tool and told it to make a 32-bit ISO. Put that on a USB stick, and bam it booted right to it. Ridiculous.

Itā€™s too bad Fedora didnā€™t like this tablet much. Oh well, the purpose of this tablet requires Windows anyway.

Hi,

The extension you mentioned, I have seen it in the extensions website. I have to figure out how to install it, but iā€™ll take this home with me. That particular extension should really solve my problem in conjunction with using Classic GNOME instead of just Gnome.

Letā€™s see how it works out.

Many thanks

Update: My issue was resolved here: Can't setup Physical Disk storage pool through virt-manager

Maybe not a small problem but it seems like it ought to just work and Iā€™m missing something.

Iā€™ve mounted a physical drive as some kind of 'unknown' Linux partition via virt-manager's graphical interface & when I reboot the host, that storage pool fails to connect again.

Storage Pools in Virtual Machine Manager

storage_pools

fdisk -l
Disk /dev/sda: 223.6 GiB, 240057409536 bytes, 468862128 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x2fb0da7b

Device     Boot Start       End   Sectors  Size Id Type
/dev/sda1          63 467668214 467668152  223G 83 Linux

As for the virt-manager config stuff, this is the only info Iā€™ve been able to gather on my own (practically zero experience with command line kvm/qemu stuff):

:/etc/libvirt/storage$ sudo cat SPCC.xml
<!--
WARNING: THIS IS AN AUTO-GENERATED FILE. CHANGES TO IT ARE LIKELY TO BE
OVERWRITTEN AND LOST. Changes to this xml configuration should be made using:
  virsh pool-edit SPCC
or other application using the libvirt API.
-->

<pool type='disk'>
  <name>SPCC</name>
  <uuid>4b793b32-8e87-44d3-bb33-c5a5ba1bf0b6</uuid>
  <capacity unit='bytes'>0</capacity>
  <allocation unit='bytes'>0</allocation>
  <available unit='bytes'>0</available>
  <source>
    <device path='/dev/sda'/>
    <format type='unknown'/>
  </source>
  <target>
    <path>/media/SPCC</path>
  </target>
</pool>

Which doesnā€™t seem to totally line up with the virsh pool-edit SPCC contents:

virsh pool-edit SPCC
<pool type='disk'>
  <name>SPCC</name>
  <uuid>4b793b32-8e87-44d3-bb33-c5a5ba1bf0b6</uuid>
  <capacity unit='bytes'>240054796800</capacity>
  <allocation unit='bytes'>239446093824</allocation>
  <available unit='bytes'>608670720</available>
  <source>
    <device path='/dev/sda'>
      <freeExtent start='239446126080' end='240054796800'/>
    </device>
    <format type='dos'/>
  </source>
  <target>
    <path>/media/SPCC</path>
  </target>
</pool>

At this moment, the drive is mounted via virt-manager and fully functional but Iā€™m pretty sure if I reboot, it will fail to re-mount (it has once already anyway).

If possible, Iā€™d like to verify that it will in fact be re-mounting automatically at startup before rebooting the host as I donā€™t want to have to format the drive and start over.

I donā€™t really know how the pool was mounted the first time when being configured via virt-manager: (Canā€™t setup Physical Disk storage pool through virt-manager)

It kinda almost seems like it was a fluke and itā€™s not really configured correctly maybe?

When I try to run the iommu checking script nothing happens. I made it executable. Iā€™m pretty sure I turned on everything related to virtualization in the UEFI.

Motherboard is an Asus Z9PE-D16/2L. OS is Fedora 27. Script is:

#!/bin/bash

shopt -s nullglob

for d in /sys/kernel/iommu_groups/*/devices/*; do

n=${d#*/iommu_groups/*}; n=${n%%/*}

printf 'IOMMU Group %s ' "$n"

lspci -nns "${d##*/}"

done;

What am I doing wrong?

Edit: Itā€™s been so long I forgot I needed to enable IOMMU in the kernel paramaters. And I didnā€™t install Fedora in UEFI mode. Iā€™ll report back if it works after doing it right.

Edit2: Yeah, IOMMU works fantastic. The groups are amazing on this board.

1 Like

Hi,

So, what I did eventually is:

1. Disabled windows animations with the GNOME tweak tool
  2. Installed this extension
    https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/118/no-topleft-hot-corner/
  3. Choose GNOME Classic at the login screen

Now I have a system that is relatively snappy.

Thanks to all for the good hints.

2 Likes

Thank you! :slight_smile:

Q: Does the Intel 8265 wifi/bt adapter run out of the box on linux? (manjaro, kernel 4.15)

According to: https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/iwlwifi , support was added in kernel 4.6. though, youā€™ll need the firmware installed to use it. Manjaro wall almost definitely work OOTB. The only distro you might have problems with OOTB is Debian, even then you can still install the firmware later.

1 Like

is it possible to have a single bootable usb stick with multiple distros?

Sounds like this may be what you want.

1 Like

Whenever I try and to create a share folder called lets say ā€œMoviesā€, I always get this folder structure inside

, with the same permissions as other working shares, get denied write permission.

Google returns what i thought, that they are drivers, but i donā€™t know why they are there and how to get rid of them and write permissions. i have deleted everything and redid it and it keeps happening.

Does anyone know if scp has to copy to a buffer in RAM while sending? I.e. if I scp a giant file do I need giant files size in memory available?

After installation of the 8265 I can now confirm it totally works with basically anything. Thanks again for that link, @stenstorp. :+1:

1 Like