The small linux problem thread

That scanner/printer does work on linux but it is a pain to get working. I dropped one off at freegeek a few days ago, mostly due to it just being a pain in the @$$ accross the board.
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/trusty/man5/sane-pixma.5.html

on mint and every now and then i get a “run nemo” thing and this time it wont work. and apparently i only have read permissions for everythign >_<

“(nemo:19122): dconf-WARNING **: failed to commit changes to dconf: GDBus.Error:org.gtk.GDBus.UnmappedGError.Quark._g_2dfile_2derror_2dquark.Code8: Failed to create file ‘/home/fred/.config/dconf/user.RT4YBZ’: Read-only file system”

"sudo nemo
Failed to connect to Mir: Failed to connect to server socket: No such file or directory
Unable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused
Could not parse arguments: Cannot open display: "

Lenovo Ideapad y510p. Fedora 27 workstation. Default Gnome. if I want to use the laptop with the lid down, the mouse pointer sometimes has a mind of its own. I suspect it is the trackpad. I don’t have this problem if I disable the trackpad in the settings menu. However, this means I need to enable the trackpad after I unplug the computer and want to use it with the lid open (no external monitor yada yada). Can I disable the trackpad when a mouse is connected?

I have a few video cards I want to stress test. I purchased a couple GTX 770s, a GT 640, and I brought home a couple old overheating/malfunctioning Quadro 4000s from work. I want to make sure they work good and don’t overheat. What is the best (easiest) way to really stress them? GLXgears doesn’t do anything, even with the framerate unlocked, and glmark2 also doesn’t do anything. Using Fedora, and using sensors to monitor temps and fans.

Well good to know. That was the last Canon printer I bought.

I would imagine someone with scripting knowledge would be able to write a script for you that detects when the laptop lid is down and disables the trackpad for you and when the script detects that the lid is up and no mouse is detected the trackpad gets enabled.

1 Like

In a terminal you can use the command

ls -al

in your home directory. The ls-al command will tell you the permissions for things. It won’t tell you right off the bat tho. You will get an output that looks something like below, and then you do some deciphering.

> administrator@Leo:~$ ls -al
> total 12
> dr-x------ 3 administrator administrator 4096 Jul 14 21:14 .
> drwxr-xr-x 6 root          root          4096 Oct 26  2011 ..
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 administrator administrator   56 Sep 11  2011 Access-Your-Private-Data.desktop -> /usr/share/ecryptfs-utils/ecryptfs-mount-private.desktop
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 administrator administrator   39 Sep 11  2011 .ecryptfs -> /home/.ecryptfs/administrator/.ecryptfs
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 administrator administrator   38 Sep 11  2011 .Private -> /home/.ecryptfs/administrator/.Private
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 administrator administrator   52 Sep 11  2011 README.txt -> /usr/share/ecryptfs-utils/ecryptfs-mount-private.txt
> drwxr-xr-x 2 root          root          4096 Jul 14 21:14 Test

The w means write, the x means execute and the r means read, the dr means directory and the l means… well I dunno. And the string that ends with a . is your home directory. So in this case, the user has no write permission to the directory. He can however execute stuff from the directory.

( I believe, I am 80% right with this. Eden may know more. I think he’s Linux certified. )

The d stands for directory, the r is the first “r” read for the user. The “L” stands for symLink. It links to a different location

1 Like

Ahh. I see now, thanks for the clarification.

d means directory

l means link (symbolic link)

. is current directory
.. is parent directory

3 Likes

"nemo --fix-cache
Failed to connect to Mir: Failed to connect to server socket: No such file or directory
Unable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused
Could not parse arguments: Cannot open display: "

the permissions thing is a symptom of nemo going wrong not a setting thing. i have root and my account is adm with all permissions, however nemo is not letting me or anything do a large number of things. its fucked. can i uninstall and reinstall nemo without data loss? would that solve the issuse? google shows me a lot of other people having this problem but not to the extent i have had and i found no fixes =/

never mind figured it out. fsck manually through a usb linux. had some corruption i assumable do to nemo fucking up? but all fixed now no data loss.

1 Like

Since this is the closest related thread, after getting tired of having to fix my multi monitor setup every week or two from updates screwing with things I decided to try using XRandR, really simple and works. Didn’t even know XRandR exsisted until about 2-3 months ago. Made a two line shell script I have LightDM run when it loads and multihead starting at the login instead of after.

3 Likes

If using X, XRanDr is the standard. Glad you got it working

1 Like

I’m playing with my gnome config and not sure how to configure what I want (or if it’s possible).

I have 2 taskbars, a top one and a bottom one. Whenever I open a new application, it appears in both taskbars. I really just want to use the top one as a separate shortcut bar for a couple things. I don’t want it displaying all open apps.

Is this configurable?

Hi. Fedora 27 on a Dell Precision 5520… and everything so far is great BUT…

my Fn display brightness keys are not adjusting the brightness and no software can do it either… xbacklight does nothing…

appreciate any and all ideas.

Thanks!

Use the Gnome Tweaks tool.

3 Likes

There are some Dell systems that have weird backlight contollers. I believe that this was an issue with the XPS 13s until 2015.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=167338

1 Like

Thank you I will try that but I don’t think it works… but I will try it now and report back.

I will check out that link and report back - Thanks!!