The small linux problem thread

I downloaded ALSA mixer, it actually wasn't hard to get it to use everything, just had to move a bar to the right spot. Thanks for the help!

1 Like

Is there any sort of event viewer for linux? I'm experiencing random crashes and I'd like to find out why.

You will need to look at the log files in /var/logs

1 Like

Any file in particular I should be looking for? Im using linux mint rafaela if that helps
edit: found syslog and syslog.1

Most likely syslog and kern.log

you can do something like in a terminal

less /var/log/kern.log

to make it easier to read

1 Like

I'm not seeing anything in either files, kern.log seems to only have stuff from yesterday and syslog doesn't have any errors that indicate any crashes. I think the crashes might have started with I started using the nvidia-346 drivers so I'm trying 304 now to see if that helps.

1 Like

you may want to look at the xorg.0.log

what video card do you have?

1 Like

I looked and I can't seem to find much useful info from it, mostly cause things aren't timestamped. I have an Nvidia GT 420M

1 Like

does the nvidia-355 driver support that card?

1 Like

Kubuntu overall is pretty crap. They don't update anything.

1 Like

i'm not seeing it in the driver manager, would that mean it's unsupported?
edit: Looks like the latest one on nvidia's site is 352.55

1 Like

The video drivers in the driver managers are older, and generally tested by the os developer, you would need to go to the nvidia website and look up the 355 driver and see if it supports that card.

1 Like

Looks like the latest one on nvidia's site is 352.55

1 Like

When i download the driver it gives me a .run file. What do i do with it cause I think just double clicking it will open it in a text editor and will be so big it'll crash my comp lol
edit: yeah double clicking opens in gedit, doesn't crash though, i just get, gedit has not been able to detect the character encoding. and so on

1 Like

I am not sure how this part works since you already have an nvidia driver installed. I can not say how it will affect your system since I have never done it before,

Personally I would go to a tty by doing ctrl + alt + f1 then log in and then do "sudo apt-get remove nvidia-304" after that do the below commands, this will remove your gui when you do to the TTY. after you do the commands below you will have the newer driver installed and you will need to reboot with "sudo reboot".

If you do not have another computer I would wait to see if someone else comments on my post. To make sure this won't muck up anything.

you should add this PPA so that you can get newer drivers

in a terminal/tty

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-352
1 Like

I have another computer and this computer is dual booting anyways so i'll give it a try

1 Like

tried it, and the driver is now installed, hopefully the old driver was the cause of the crashes, i'll report back if I get any more random freeze ups. Thanks for your help.

Lesson learned :)

So the aforementioned crashes are back, but turns out they aren't really crashes, everything freezes and I didn't think I could do anything, however turns out if I go ctrl + alt +F1 to the command line mode and then go ctrl + alt + F8 back it GUI mode everything is fine again. This is the strangest bug.

(consider a rolling release) like OpenSUSE tumbleweed but expect breakage lol