The small linux problem thread

You need to set the options in the fstab to no fail when the drive is not present. nofail will present no errors when the drive is not present but if you are forcing a device fscheck on mount then you may still fail at boot. Using noauto will mean that the drive only mounts when you tell it do, ie mount -a will not mount this drive ever.

Bingo

Well, @level1 beat me to it. I should have read to the end first. lol

If you have Wine/Proton installed and you have sudo setup in a very permissive way, you open yourself up to some MS Windows attacks as well as well crafted exploits.

The NTFS driver is pretty darn stable now that MS is playing nicely with F/LOSS so the disk corruption is no longer a thing like it used to be.

1 Like

Foreign drives are in this context to be interpreted as drives that are physically separate from the drive with the root partition. These days your Linux desktop drive should have these partitions;

Mount point Size Comment
swap 4 GB These days ā€˜twice your RAMā€™ is rather excessive
/ 30 GB Root partition, 30 GB should be plenty.
/home rest of disk Where you store your irreplacable data, such as work, family photos and pr0n stash

Though these also help for a more advanced user:

Mount point Size Comment
/boot 1 GB (optional) Makes it easy to have more than one Linux install on the same drive
/mnt/second 30 GB (optional) Your lab distro, ever wanted to try out SUSe, Arch or Debian?
/opt 100+ GB (optional) So, I heard you like Snaps and Flatpaksā€¦

Anyway, it isnā€™t that you cannot or should not access your windows files; you should just do so in a way that does not compromise system stability. This means that any foreign drive should be mounted from userspace instead of boot.

It is a nitpick though :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hey, just installed Manjaro KDE yesterday, but strangely the f1-f12 keys donā€™t work.

The pause play functions work, but pressing them with fn doesnā€™t give me the f key input.

this keyboard works fine in VMs and on windows and I donā€™t see any settings that I think will fix it.

any more troubleshooting info I need to provide?

Did you select the right keyboard layout. If you are 'merikan, then select a standard 104 key and see if functionality changes.

yeah, all the other keys appear to work. and the f keys work when I press the volume and pause/play/ff/rewind on the f7-f12 keys for example

Run xev and see what it says when you hit one of those non-working keys.

Does your keyboard have a FnLock key? Sounds like this has been toggled.

2 Likes

Hey, I moved from Arch Linux to Fedora 37 on my gaming computer (last computer to go), butI have ran into a problem with my drive situation. Fedora uses a btrfs subvolume for the home directory, but I already have a drive with my /home data on it. So I edited my fstab with the appropriate modifications. However, for some reason I get a permissions error. There is no problem with the mountpoint, and my user and group is the owner of the directory with 775 permissions. What gives?

P.S. My home directory is using LVM+LUKS and an EXT4 filesystem btw.

You may want to check that your user id and group id havenā€™t changed in the new system.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve already thought of that and made sure the old home directory was owned by my current systemā€™s user and group.

Whenever there is an unexplainable permission issue in Fedora it likely is SElinux. Check the context with ls -alZ /home and, if necessary, adjust with chcon. The home folders should have context unconfined_u:object_r:user_home_dir_t:s0.
E.g.
chcon -R -t user_home_dir_t /home/user_a

2 Likes

I am assuming that you mean user_home_dir_t to be a variable? As well as /home/user_a? I tried to do that command, but I got it wrong.

I will say that SELinux has been a royal pain in my ass since I moved over to Fedora and AlmaLinux (for my server), but I thought it only affected applications.

Oh I get it now. user_home_dir_t is the context I am setting it to. Right? I got it all fixed now. Thanks, but if you wanna help me understand SELinux more Iā€™d be grateful.

2 Likes

Sorry buddy - still learning myself. Not sure if anyone really understands SElinux ā€¦

3 Likes

Not sure if this is truly the best place to put it but what is easier to work with making Gnome Extensions or adding stuff to Plasma widgets? I want to create something which will change backgrounds and change what apps are immediately available based on a dropdown menu with that dropdown being able to be changed based on the time of day or a dropdown.

Tried to build my own image of OpenWRT based on this fork for my Nanopi R5S, did manage to boot it up and use some stuff. However, after trying to replace Dropbear with OpenSSH, I canā€™t connect to it. The server does start and Iā€™m able to kinda start the connection, but then I get a broken pipe message on the client.
On the server thatā€™s the error I get:

I tried to disable seccomp, build the image with Openssh preinstalled (instead of downloading from the repos), messing around with some build options for SSL. Also tried building different kernel versions (6.0 and 6.2) to no avail.

The only idea I have left is to try to cross-compile a statically linked openssh server, but thatā€™s a annoying task and I worry that I may end up facing this error in other applications in the future.

Any ideas are more than welcome :slight_smile:

I just created a simple mirror with mdadm. Do I have to do anything special between reboots?

EDIT: I guess there was, as I have rebooted and the array is gone. The two mirrored drives appear empty and mdadm is looking at me like a stranger. :rofl:

1 Like

If you do a ā€œscanā€ and the ā€œassemble ā€œ will it trash all the data?

Manpage probably helpsā€¦

Will search DDG.GG for automatic importā€¦

Looks like maybe mdadm module not loaded?

The wiki for the kernel suggests

mdadm --assemble --scan

And some more advice:

Edit the file /etc/default/grub and add ā€œdomdadmā€ to the following line

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="domdadm"

Now run grub-mkconfig, and check that your boot section contains the line

insmod mdraid1x

But, you probably know this alreadyā€¦

Source:
https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Setting_up_a_(new)_system

1 Like