The small linux problem thread

I recommend pastebin for posting logs. Set it to unlisted and post the link here, make sure it expires in two weeks or so. We’ll pick out the noteworthy bits. It should be fine to post the system log.

I imagine you’d want journalctl, not journald in what @wertigon provided.

1 Like

There you go. Thanks for the help!

@marelooke I was sure I tried journalctl but it didn’t work. I likely typed it wrong, though, as I’ve just tried it again and it worked. Haha!

Not sure if anyone is interested but I found an alternate way for this: wget. Running the server in my pacman cache directory and then running sudo wget "http://192.168.254.NUMBER:PORT/" --no-parent -r -nd --reject "index.html*" -P /var/cache/pacman/pkg on the target computer (aliased) before updating (replace number and port with your server).

Though I had already set a static local IP address (so it doesn’t change) and port forwarding on router+firewall (oddly I have a phone on the network that didn’t need either, but 2 other computers did need it). Possibly some of the “easy” options aimed at LAN might work given I’ve done the setup but I didn’t feel like testing.

Also because it’s just copying everything this is less than ideal. It’s grabbing packages that are older versions as well as ones that aren’t installed on the target computer. This took a while but it also wasn’t slowing the internet down (a 5GB download update was taken down to 250MB) so that’s a win.

Unneeded stuff aside, raw speed was ~5 times faster than internet connection, though the wifi (old-ish cheap ISP router) might’ve been the bottleneck (no Idea how I’d check EDIT: also my wifi card in my computer is from 2007). Subsequent updates will be faster as well, even with the cache copying since it won’t be pulling what it already did.

Wired would be nice as well, but I don’t currently have any ethernet anywhere in the house (direct wiring might be an option).

Ugh, why cant I scroll up with shift+page up on a Debian/Ubuntu tty/vga console? Now I have to learn more bash commands…

tmux ^b, [

2 Likes

tmux is good for long running batch jobs also in the case of ISP shenanigans which might otherwise interrupt the job.

2 Likes

yeah, we use it at work in ephemeral containers so we don’t have to change their config if we’re trying to debug something.

2 Likes

My zshrc opens tmux automatically (when invoked locally) and I’ve never regretted it.

Hey I am trying to set up NFS in Linux so that I can share folders over my network, but I’d like to create some sort of authentication method for it. Is there a way where I can encrypt single NFS-shared directories with LUKS or something? If I can do that, then I can also share the directories over the WAN too.

Perhaps this is what I am looking for… Download - Seafile

How about fuse-encfs? EncFS - ArchWiki

Are you a fan of having your files deleted by strangers?

Something like sshfs is a far better idea for that kind of usage.

Do you really need encryption though? You can just use the features of NFS v4 to integrate into your LDAP or specifically restricting access to certain users, requiring the credential challenge in their connection string.

Update to this: I tried limiting ZFS to 20GB, leaving the system at about 45GB of 64GB used total and the system still crashed twice. So it looks like it’s not the RAM hitting its limit that’s the issue.

Did you run a memtest? Defunct RAM is kinda liable to result in random crashes.

That was my first assumption months ago when it first started having issues. I’ve run it a couple of times and came up clear.

EDIT: I’m assuming it’s some configuration mishap I’ve made - but I’m not sure how that could crash the system seemingly randomly?

Ryzen CPU?

@xBlizzDevious

If that was aimed at me, then no. It’s a 10850K.

1 Like

Motherboard have latest bios?

I later realized it was because I had unintentionally installed the snap docker package alongside the manual install. Removing the snap package fixed it.

2 Likes