The small linux problem thread

Anyone have any recent experience ripping CDs in KDE? I’m using the Dolphin integration, it’s taking hours to rip 73MB of audio. I ripped 50GB of blu-ray and converted to mkv in about 10 minutes yesterday…

I know people in general have jumped on the lossy, low bitrate noise-fest of online-only streamed audio lately but for those of us who like to actually enjoy the content we’re consuming optical media is still kind of necessary… Not to mention that I can’t stream audio in the car due to not having reliable Internet access*

*I really wish I didn’t have to justify using optical media at all when bringing up the subject, but I have enough experience of the Internet to pre-emptively expect a lecture from people who don’t know what they’re talking about.

Edit: I had it running overnight for about 10 hours. It managed to copy 5MiB in that time, so it would take about two weeks at this rate. That’s not feasible. I don’t understand why it’s having so much difficulty with audio CDs when makeMKV can use the drive just fine with blu rays.

1 Like

Quick side note, and not to dissuade you from doing what you’re doing, but Qobuz streams lossless audio at high bitrate/depths if you ever want to supplement your collection with streaming.

Sorry I can’t answer your actual question :frowning:

2 Likes

I don’t have Internet access where I usually listen to music. It’s why I still keep a 120GB iPod Classic

2 Likes

On RHEL, /etc/services is provided by setup, and in setup.spec I see it is defined as %config(noreplace) so your changed services file will be preserved between updates. Not like the list of services is updated often, you won’t miss anything…

1 Like

Interesting, thank you!

I’m not dunking on you for having CD’s, but the speed sounds suspiciously slow? It shouldn’t take longer than real time to transfer, so perhaps there is a problem?

I personally would try and image the CD, if I could, then mount the image to extract the audio, unless that is even slower?

could it be so slow because it is recording/ripping at a higher bit rate than the media is stored?

I am so out of touch, in my mind, a music album was like a couple hours play time. So just recording raw should only take that long?

2 Likes

I believe that is the point that @cakeisamadeupdrug was trying to convey.

1 Like

I don’t know a better tool to rip. just hoped the method of ripping from image might be faster? If the drive is working well enough to make an image

Oh I am sure there is a problem, that’s why I’m posting here. There’s no way it should take more than 3 minutes to rip this CD, let alone two weeks, and it’s clearly not a hardware issue because the drive rips blu-rays that are orders of magnitude bigger in much less time.

It could be the bitrate. Dolphin (as well as Konquerer and Nautilus, I tried all three) are very slow at browsing the drive, which is weird. I’d try poking around with the terminal but I’m not sure where it actually mounts the drive. I guess I should poke around fstab and find out…

For a mount point, you could run df and it’ll show up. Not that it’ll do much?

I’m afraid I don’t know where errors get logged when a device is throwing read error, or whatever might be logged.

Obviously, as you said, something is wrong

I just tried it with a Lacuna Coil CD on the side and it’s still slow, but it’s taking about 5 minutes per track on this disk. Maybe could be a copy protection issue with the disk rather than an inherent software issue?

Did you try imaging the whole disk to your hard drive and ripping it from there?

I was trying to avoid doing that tbh, but yeah that’s the next thing I’m thinking

1 Like

Yeah I think you got to to isolate the drive as a factor.

Well it’s definitely not the drive, I’m fairly confident that I have isolated this. I’m edging towards copy protection on the disk itself, because like I said the Lacuna Coil disc copied ok.

I know I’m dating myself, but I remember CD-DA tracks taking less than 10 seconds to rip back in the 90’s with whatever speed drive it was then (16x speed?). I know they used a few different types copy protections but none of them just slowed down the rip time down. It either caused your PC to detect the CD as a non-audio disc or threw CRC errors and crapped out.

So I also think it’s an issue with your drive. As others have suggested create an image, mount, and rip. If further testing from of physical drive is needed then I’d suggest using your oldest CDs from your collection. Most discs before the late 90’s should be protection free.

P.S. - Easy CD-DA Extractor was the app for anyone else struggling to remember the name. Had to look it up myself :slight_smile:

If it were an issue with the drive, why would the Lacuna Coil disk rip fine, and why would blu-rays also take a matter of minutes to rip a 50GB file? It makes no sense. If it were the drive it wouldn’t vary from disk to disk.

I have never known it to take 10 seconds, in any year.

I had another go on an old work laptop running openSUSE (also KDE Plasma and Dolphin) and it took a long time just to read the disc.

Hi!
Quick bash question. I have a simple function for printing repeating pattern that looks like this:

repeat(){
	for i in {1..5}; do echo -n "$1"; done
}
repeat 'my-pattern, '; echo

# prints:
my-pattern, my-pattern, my-pattern, my-pattern, my-pattern, 

I want to pass second argument for setting number of iterations. I tried it with the following, but it doesn’t work as expected and prints pattern only once:

repeat(){
	for i in {"$1"}; do echo -n "$2"; done
}
repeat '1..10' 'my-pattern,'; echo

# prints:
my-pattern, 

If it is bash, you can use a C-style loop for this:

for (( i=$1; i > 0; i-- )); do
    echo "Hello"
done;

Sadly this does not work in regular sh. Be aware this kind of use case is exceedingly rare - for most uses bash is pretty good at interpreting things itself, try for instance:

str="a,b,c,d,e"
for i in ${str//,/ }; do
   echo $i
done;
1 Like

I’m using bash and C style loop works.
Thanks!