The small linux problem thread

Not to be that guy, but Mint might not be the best choice for gaming anyway considering they are usually on fairly old builds of Kernel, Drivers, and Mesa (if applicable), and as you can tell also sometimes tend to mess with things in unexpected ways.

Might I interest you in the Fedora Cinnamon spin?
https://spins.fedoraproject.org/en/cinnamon/

1 Like

I have a small Linux problem.
Iā€™m wondering if there is a way to get the correct IP address behind a NAT. My current setup works like this; My host computer has a public IPv4(e.g. 37.221.192.52) address and some LXC containers on a default LXC bridge network(masqueraded bridge, 10.0.3.0/24).

In one of those containers I host my Webserver, which works great.
I add a ā€œport forwardā€ using iptables: iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp --dport 8080 -j DNAT --to 10.0.3.189:80

Now my only problem is that the web server does not get the correct IP for itā€™s access log. But I would like it to, for log analysis including banning misbehaving IP(-ranges).

Is there a neat way to fix this other than running a web proxy on the host just for logging(that would kind of ignores the privilege separation between the container and host)?

If itā€™s relevant, both guest and host are Debian 10. Iā€™m currently redoing the hosting for my website and other services and testing the new setup in a VM. I can provide the automated setup scripts for the host and containers if needed.

1 Like

I was unable to load a kernel image from grub with the listed commands. I kept trying to ā€œsetā€ variables, as well, but that did not help either (each partition was a different type of file system. H0 was ext2, H1 was ext3, etc). After reboot, I was forced back into grub terminal.

I believe it does not have a kernel image present.

Iā€™m going to try a new install & see what happens.

I really appreciate all the advice everyone.

1 Like

Thereā€™s no way a system (or container) behind a NAT can tell the true origins of traffic without help from outside. You could either have the system doing the NATā€™ing tell it, typically with proxying and an x-forwarded-for header. But you could also transmit the NAT IP log info from the host with the real IP (see: netstat-nat) into the container somehow, and match things up in an ad-hoc matter that way. Maybe the container listens on a port, and the NAT box streams current IP translation tables to it?

I donā€™t know if itā€™s possible to have iptables add an x-forwarded-for or similar information to HTTP requests instead of using an actual proxy, but I know itā€™s certainly not possible with HTTPS/TLS/SSL, and as thatā€™s the way the web is going, you should get comfortable with the use of HA-Proxy.

1 Like

If you are using POSIX-compliant C then you should be able to do this:

printf(" foo1: %1$s \n foo2: %1$s \n ", "bar")

Whereas % populates in order, %1$ takes the first argument, %2$ takes the second, and so-on.

$ man 3 printf on a Ubuntu box reveals:

By default, the arguments are used in the order  given,
where  each  '*'  (see Field width and Precision below) and each conversion
specifier asks for the next argument (and it is an error if  insufficiently
many  arguments are given).  One can also specify explicitly which argument
is taken, at each place where an argument is  required,  by  writing  "%m$"
instead  of  '%'  and  "*m$"  instead  of  '*', where the decimal integer m
denotes the position in the argument list of the desired argument,  indexed
starting from 1.  Thus,

printf("%*d", width, num);

and

printf("%2$*1$d", width, num);

are  equivalent.   The  second style allows repeated references to the same
argument.  The C99 standard does not include the  style  using  '$',  which
comes  from the Single UNIX Specification.
3 Likes

I was going to need a proxy webserver anyway(reverse proxy for e.g. gitea/minecraft dynamp etc. running in different containers without their own SSL certificates), but for privilege separation and administration reasons Iā€™d like it to run in a container(I donā€™t want any network listeners on the host except for SSH).

I was hoping maybe it would be possible to ā€œtagā€ the packages somehow(like VLANs, but with origin IPā€™s) using iptables/something.

Would something like hosting my web server VM behind a SOCKS proxy be possible? Iā€™m not sure how SOCKS deals with listening sockets, but I was planning on adding wireguard/other VPN to that container bridge anyway for easy administration access. Iā€™ve never used SOCKS for something like this.

I feel like the setup Iā€™m running canā€™t be that uncommon. Does somebody here use such a setup?

Anyway, for know Iā€™ll just have to host a proxy on the host. I guess weā€™re all screwed anyway if there is an nginx/apache2 RCE.

Ignore what I said, Iā€™m just stupid. Donā€™t you love it when your problem turns out to be you? I mixed up the VMā€™s with my test setup (not in a VM) on the hostā€¦ It worked all along. Iā€™m just stupid. In my defense, SSH aliases are dangerous.
Worst part is, Iā€™ve been using this setup the entire time, and just didnā€™t care to check the (fully working) logs on my actual web server running basically the same setup(Using LXD instead of LXC).

Hi all, I have an issue that I canā€™t find any fixes for.
After upgrading to a 3440x1440, 144Hz monitor, I canā€™t set the refresh rate beyond 100Hz in Manjaro (KDE). Iā€™m connected via DisplayPort 1.4, and 144Hz works in Windows.

Any ideas?

Do you have the compositor set to OpenGL 3.1?

Iā€™m just in the shell, but %1$s does work, so thanks! Thereā€™s so much in the printf man(s), sometimes itā€™s hard to find what you want.

1 Like

I rather like Linux Mint. TBH, if I could just get rid of the stupid apt search formatting, itā€™d be perfect. That or if I could install Ubuntu from CLI like I can Arch so that I can customize my installation. I also have an Nvidia card, but Iā€™d like to move over to Radeon if/when availability is good enough to drive the price down. As for the Kernel Build, itā€™s on 5.4.0-70-generic which isnā€™t that old. The newest LTS release is 5.10; so reason tells me this is probably one LTS behind that. That being said, firmware isnā€™t that much of an issue to me since firmware is dependent upon the kernel.

At any rate, i found a perfect DDG search query that helped me find a solution of the problem: fix apt search formatting in linux mint; which lead me to APT search output format - Linux Mint Forums.

Yep. Iā€™ve also tried OpenGL 2.0 with no change there either

Just FYI: debootstrap --arch=amd64 xenial /install/dir http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ (man debootstrap)
If youā€™re scripting the package search, try apt-cache search <package name>. (man apt-cache)
If youā€™re missing firmware, make sure you have firmware-linux-nonfree installed(you might need to enable the contrib and non-free package sources)

Iā€™m confused as to why youā€™re telling me this because I never complained about missing firmware. Also apt-cache is deprecated and my first Linux distro was Debian in 2016.

It still exists for backwards compatibilty of sorts / convenience, but apt replaced the various apt-get, apt-cache, etc commands several years ago.

Not quite.

apt is the suggested tool for end users manually doing things with packages. But it is just a wrapper on top of apt-get, apt-cache, etc. So the lower level commands will still exist, and should be used for scripting, but they have an easier to use alternative now.

This explains it:

3 Likes

aptitude, getting very old now, has a lot of formatting options. For example, I use

aptitude -F '%12p %t %V %d' search '~U'

rather than apt list --upgradable to get a description of what each update is about.

1 Like

Could someone help me figure out how to prevent a package from being updated in Pop OS? I have a friend who needs a really old NVidia driver, and Pop OS keeps wanting to update it as part of the Operating System Updates in the Pop Shop.

To help walk him through what I thought would work, I tested using Synaptic to lock a package, but the Pop Shop will ignore these and updates the package.

I also tried apt-mark hold on a package, and the Pop Shop will still update that package as well.

Iā€™ve never had to do this before, so Iā€™m just trying things Iā€™ve found in DuckDuckGo thus far.

Is there a simple/quick way to lock packages from updating?

1 Like

would something like this help: https://linoxide.com/install-specific-version-package-apt-get/

iirc, Pop!_OS uses Apt as a front end to apt-get.

better stick the package before it gets depreicated.

better yet, find a DEB of it, and then your bud can re-install whenever

1 Like